What ignition timing for my 440? Poor performance?

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

What ignition timing for my 440? Poor performance?

Post by Anonymous »

Got me 440 in and it runs ok but barely pulls the skin off a rice pudding. I have an MSD (no vac advance) distributor, and i'm running it at 20?btdc, at idle. Can i go more?

Was told this engine might be tweaked up or something but it doesn't even feel like it has a performance cam or anything. I'm worried I've been sold a bog standard motorhome engine. Doesnt seem any more powerful than my standard 383 I pulled out.

Problem is, i've never driven or even been in a 440 powered car, anyone in my neck of the woods care to oblige? Something of similar weight to my car would be ideal. Or perhaps a 2nd opinion on my car's performance? Maybe i'm expecting too much?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Errr!
You want to be less than that not more! :shock:

Around 12 degrees BTDC at idle is ballpark.

You should rev the engine to 3000 - 3500rpm and set the timing to around 34-35 degrees. This is called TOTAL timing because it includes the mechanical timing in the dizzy itself.
Kev

Post by Kev »

And for those who still have their vacuum plumbed. Disconnect and plug the pipe before setting the timing.
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

thanks will try that.
However more concerned that his engine has more serious problems, like low oil pressure. WIll post in appropriate section.