Greetings (seasons and otherwise)

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Faux-7-0 wrote:Thanks for the welcome - the car was originally a basic 1972 318 but one of the previous owners obviously wanted a vanishing point look-a-like hence the 70 front end.

Probably going to take the mild custom route - Low, plum crazy, 440, black alloys but as ever, money talks, so we'll see.
Hello and welcome

I'm just up the road in Swindon and V8 Sam is in Reading itself

Agree about running small blocks in Challys and the smaller mopars, its not a straight swap as the K frame will need adjusting to take a big block engine, and that's just the start of it !!

Power steering, exhausts, gearbox, rear axle, propshaft, brakes...I could go on but peeps on here will know how to do it !!

Me and Sam may come over one day to have a look !!

Dart Vader (Justin)
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

Justin you don't have to change the K frame to go from small to big block on the B & E bodies. Its just A bodies that are different.
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Wolfman wrote:
You can't go wrong with plum crazy, best colour in my opinion :D I am going to open a can of worms now :drwho: I like small blocks in challys for handling purposes
Dead right Wolfie, small block Chally's handle so much better than the big block cars, IMHO.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Wolfman wrote:
You can't go wrong with plum crazy, best colour in my opinion :D I am going to open a can of worms now :drwho: I like small blocks in challys for handling purposes
Dead right Wolfie, small block Chally's handle so much better than the big block cars, IMHO.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

DaveBishop wrote:Justin you don't have to change the K frame to go from small to big block on the B & E bodies. Its just A bodies that are different.
I never knew that Dave, I learn something everyday !! :thumbright:
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

I'm aware of the 340 vs 440 handling argument but through a series of coincidences, the car, a six-pack and a 440 all came up from separate sources at the same time!
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

DaveBishop wrote:Justin you don't have to change the K frame to go from small to big block on the B & E bodies. Its just A bodies that are different.
Hemi is different too as they use a different type of engine mount. Slant six engines also use a different frame. But yes all the V8 wedge e-body frames are the same. Some 440 came with a skid plate on the frame and I would reccommend you use one with any stock sump 440.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Faux-7-0 wrote:I'm aware of the 340 vs 440 handling argument but through a series of coincidences, the car, a six-pack and a 440 all came up from separate sources at the same time!
For infomation my numbers matching 70 440 R/T (with six pack) with some mild mods on the scales;

Total weight with full tank of fuel was 3705lbs. 3890lbs with me in it.

Front - Rear weight was split 54.9% - 45.1% (with me in it).

Side to side weight distribution (with me in it) was 50.8% Left and 49.2% Right.

This was with a plastic front bumper, alloy radiator and intake, battery in trunk. But with iron heads and hood.

But even with a good weight balance I still had to heavily upgrade the suspension to make it handle. Just because of the shear mass of the car. About 30% above stock 440/Hemi spec. Adjustable shocks.

If I was doing this again I would go stroked small block.
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Dave: Thanks for the above detail - I was going to upgrade the running gear as part of the rebuild so this gives me a benchmark.