Fuel return lines

Moderator: Moderators

pete walton

Fuel return lines

Post by pete walton »

Doing a bit of work on me fuel system and i inteded to run a return line ,as i never have had one,,,But one of the experts says use one of these new fuel regulaters,, and you will not need one,,,,,anyone used one ,,,and as a return line done properly will be about £100 is there any cost implications,,,Tried finding one of these regulaters online but as yet no luck ....any help would be nice :thumbright:
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think £100 is cheap if it includes a Regulator and return line.....

I have skimped and my return line is AN -6AN but it seems to work ok........the fuel log I built has worked very well to date, and is about as cheap as I could make it. I think my whole Fuel system is about £1K......
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Pete wrote:I think £100 is cheap if it includes a Regulator and return line.....

I have skimped and my return line is AN -6AN but it seems to work ok........the fuel log I built has worked very well to date, and is about as cheap as I could make it. I think my whole Fuel system is about £1K......

Pete £100 is just for the return line,,,i run two pumps and two Fram filters ,,,and about three miles of areoquip to join that lot together... heres the regulater i was told about,,,they say just swap the regulaterfor my exsisting one ,,,Allstar $67 .....no need for return line it says....mmmmmmmm...
Attachments
chucker54_2242_4600549.jpg
chucker54_2242_4600549.jpg (9.16 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

You have got to go with what you feel is correct.

Personally I would Never dead-head a race car; I would always run a return.

I have only 1 x 3 port regulator in my set up........
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Jon Connolly

Post by Jon Connolly »

Pete

Looks like a Aeromotive 13205 ... I used one on the Valiant as a " dead head " with no fuel return and it was fine.

Since then on the pick up truck I have run a -10 supply with a -8 return and I reckon it is more responsive than a dead head system.

Out of the 2 choices I would go with a return line system.

:thumbright:
9.844 @ 134.04 ... Smallblock Valiant + NOS

10.169 @ 130.17 ... Smallblock Dodge Ram pick up truck - motor only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwC1fd0 ... 8Z96U8t0LQ
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

i have never run a return line i bought a racecar and ran it that had such a setup and it lost its guts at the big end, a pair of vice grips sorted that to get me another 3 tenths, :D
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

I never ran a return system either, 2 Race pumps, 2 x 1/2" lines, 2 regulators, no probs....plenty of mph and no nosing over ever.......I remember some that did and they had issues, whatever works for you I guess.

Les
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Yeaaaaa,,,,thanks for your opinions gents ,,,and as all of you have run quicker than me i have to listen ,,,so we have two for a return line and two for no return line,,,,,well thats cleared that up :? Think i will go with the regulater,,,see what happens...proberly be no cheeper with shipping and tax..... But its shiney ;)
TW71

Post by TW71 »

From fuel cell / filter I use a BG280 / 2 port regulator dead head system with -10 to -8 to -6 Pump runs hot if used on the street but is fine for the track.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I use -10 from the cell to the filter/pump and all the way to the regulator
-10 return from regulator to cell
-8 from regulator to the carb
pressure rock solid at 7psi everywhere

when the tunnel ram goes on i will change it by going
each carb will have seperate feed from regulator in -8 then into a Y block and -6 to each fuel bowl

Running mallory 250 pump and matching regulator set up the way mallory told me to..

The only thing I would have done differently would be to use aluminium fuel lines under the car instead of the black Russel Pro hose because its chuffin expensive.. :roll:
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Guy wrote:
The only thing I would have done differently would be to use aluminium fuel lines under the car instead of the black Russel Pro hose because its chuffin expensive.. :roll:

Thats what I had, but not just because of the cost, fuel will flow better through solid lines with less restriction than anything else.

also you can read this, the paragraph "choose and position the right filters"

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... ewall.html

Aeroquip/Russel braided lines are fine, and mandatory for all you guys these days, but unecessary and expensive, there mandatory for fuel/blown motors where tear downs between rounds are a must.....for your average race car...ok but a waste of money in my opnion.

I used normal rubber fuel line from the tank to the pumps, from the pumps I had alu fuel line running up to the regs, from the regs was normal rubber fuel lines to the carb...end of, cheap, no problems......I spent the money saved on fancy lines and connections like some others had, on the motor or the chassis having the best I could to make it run hard and hook well..

Les