Power steering box, anyone had one apart?

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Power steering box, anyone had one apart?

Post by Anonymous »

Found the leak on my Fury steering box (box looks the same as most mopar boxes) To my surprise its NOT coming from the shaft seals but from the edge of that round cover thingy facing the steering column.
(held in by an enormous castellated round threaded ring by the looks of it)

Whats in there, is there a special tool required? is there a gasket? o-ring? Can it be take off in situ?
help!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Im no position to say this is right, and hopefully some who knows will join in thread, but I thought you could tighten that nut down a shade and reduce loss. Thats what i did with my first Chally and it worked for a little while (whole box gave up the ghost later though!), not sure if that alters adjustment aswel.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I had one of those apart years ago Will and I'm pretty sure there's a press fit oil seal in the top and maybe a snap ring.

One thing I do remember was that when you get the top off, there's seventeen thousand four hundred and thirty nine O rings, snap rings spacers and shims.

At least.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

You need a workshop manual me old son.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

cheers guys. here is the O-ring that the oil must be getting past (its dry where the shaft comes through the middle)

Anyone know if its possible to get this cover off without all the guts of the steering box coming out with it?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well,

looking at that diagram Will, Iw ould say you got two hopes and one of them is Bob.

as a minimum it looks as though the valve body has to be removed to take the pivot lever out so the unit the shaft goes though can be released. Doesnt loo like a job to be done while the box is on the car.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Will I will email all the pages from the manual to you.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

The pages are on their way. Big files though.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Why buy a manual, you do it so well Dave! :lol:
Before I get jumped on I have two! :wink:
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Stop saying I will jump on you James. It's your car I fancy. Not you! :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Wondered if you pick up that, well after all the nudey stuff you done Im slightly sceptical! :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

okay i pulled the column out and got the pesky steering box out . What a horrid oily heavy job that is. Its like a Rubik puzzle getting that box out once you've undone it! (and not crushing your fingers or dropping it on your head) Still, i bet its harder on a Charger or something. not even sure Charger ones come out without removing some other parts first.

Anyways, ya know that subframe I imported for my ragtop, low and behold theres a steering box on it. I'll be putting that in tomorrow, and crossing everything i've got that it works.. and doesn't leak!