MSD AL6 vs. AL7 - benefits? Practical experinece?

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

MSD AL6 vs. AL7 - benefits? Practical experinece?

Post by Pete »

Does anyone have any practical experience of an AL7-2 and are they any better than an AL6 (not that any MSD seems to be anything to write home about....)

I intend running with a Crank trigger and have the option of an MSD 6AL, potentially an MSD Digital 6, or make the move to an AL7.....

Any comments or views?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Turnip

Post by Turnip »

http://fbo-uk.com/Daytona-Sensors%20Main.htm :thumbright:

Arm remember MSD are in liquidation, I'm sure someone will take it on but probably cut cost even more to try and make it pay.

Still, its liquidity remained tight, and the company struck a deal with its lenders to push out its debt maturity from March 2012 to January 2013 as long as it put itself up for sale. While several offers came in, none were high enough for the lenders, who have since entered into a series of forbearance agreements with MSD Performance that have kept the debt from coming due.
Among MSD Performance's lenders is an affiliate of private equity firm Z Capital Partners LLC , which since May has acquired a majority of the $91.9 million that's currently outstanding. Z Capital this year offered to purchase MSD Performance's assets, but the company's other lenders couldn't reach a consensus on the offer before the forbearance period expired.
"The debtors remain hopeful, however, that negotiations with Z Capital or any other interested bidder will continue in connection with a court-supervised sale process," Mr. Turcotte said in court papers.
Any sale plans would be subject to the approval of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., where MSD Performance sought protection.
MSD Performance reported assets of $50 million to $100 million and debts of $100 million to $500 million in its bankruptcy petition.
Lawyers from Jones Day and Richards, Layton & Finger are representing MSD Performance in its bankruptcy case, which has been assigned to Judge Peter J. Walsh.
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Pete,
I ran a 7AL2 for yonks without out any issues what so ever. I did have one issue & got a replacement unit, but the fault was down to the MAP sensor giving symptoms of ignition problems.

I always had great 'spark' & no other associated problems, the only reason I went away from the 7AL2 was that I went to Coil on Plug.

I have run my 7AL2 with & without a crank trigger system & again no problems

I have read great feed back on the Digital 6, the same can be said for the digtal 7. The digi 7 gives a real lot of control & again I looked into these, but basically my Big stuff 3 covered most of the features which made it a redundant option.

MSD's like their own clean power supply & earth, mounting of the unit (mine was in car) is also a key factor, along with good vibration isolation.

On my experience, I would use a 7AL2 without hessiation
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Pete

Post by Pete »

That's great, thanks Mark.
I was aware of the MSD situation, Jon...thanks though :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
GTXJim

Post by GTXJim »

I've run 7al2 on my GTX, Cooky's Dodge & my Belve without issue the only thing is the coil gets very hot on prolonged use, I run a digi 6 on the Coronet and not had a problem running dizzy, and now crank trigger, also I use nearly all the features I'm very pleased with it, if I had the money I would go digi 7 :thumbright:
Petrol is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking, Nitro is for racing!!!

Hell Yeah!! I'm a Redneck
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Ran an 7al3 on the old bus ,never missed a beat .Had some options wired up ..second hand power coil from Mark , never let me down,,,,I would run one again ,if i could afford one now :thumbright:
Attachments
181568_179029442139253_5838235_n.jpg
181568_179029442139253_5838235_n.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

It all depends what you want to do with it Pete, we've not had any problems with 6's or 7's, can highly recommend the digi 7 although only for a serious racecar with NOS as otherwise you don't need all it's functions.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!