turn signal switch on chargers

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

turn signal switch on chargers

Post by Anonymous »

Dead quick and easy this one, before I strip the steering column down - how do the indicators work?
Took the car out today and have now lost the ability to turn right, i can indicate left and the stalk stays down and clicks back when i straighten the wheel. When I indicate right it refuses to stay up and doesnt do that clicking thing. I think it travels on a cam and locks in place?
What should I be looking for? I can't see anythign broken but am going to Billing tomorrow so didnt fancy taking the colum apart tonight just in case and I ended up with no indicators at all. If i hold the stalk in place I can indicate right which makes me think it is a physical rather than electrical problem.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The switch is a plastic affair, it has two tabs and two arms, the arms move with the lever and the tabs lock them in place, when the wheel goes past them the tabs are forced and the switch pings back to neutral, all this is done with living hinges which makes me wonder how on earth they have survived this long ! it is not repairable if the tab or arm has given up but new switches are available from the usual suspects.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'll be needing one of them too then :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmm bargain at $52 from YearOne! or from Ebay $58.
Ah well indicating is pretty much compulsory over here so best order me one.
James you coming to Billing tomorrow?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Check first before you order, you never know it may be something simple...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Alex it is a charger, I have learnt that there is no such thing as something simple.....
like when we wanted to get some kind of economy out of it, simply change the carb, oh and that meant a new intake manifold,,, then that meant the linkage didnt reach so we had to put in new cables there...
Alex

Post by Alex »

Well, I can sort of see where you are coming from seeing as I work on them for a living, but I have been suprised more than once, most things on these ol' things are repairable with a bit of patience.. :wink:
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

ALWAYS look to see what the problem is first.

The very first time I tried the turn signals on my Challenger there was a big puff of smoke and I had to travel 300 miles with just one (left rear) light working. :shock:

Like you i figured it needed a new switch. But back then they were hard to find and expensive if you did find one.

Taking it apart i found out why it was not working. Once you know why there is often ways and means of fixing. This I then did.

I can't remember exactly was wrong with it as it was 15 years ago but I do remember it involved a bit of soldering and plastic welding with the old soldering iron. The switch has worked perfectly since.
Kev

Post by Kev »

The screw that holds my indicator arm onto the plastic switch comes loose periodically and replicates your symptoms.
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Mine done that too Kev. But one of the arms has snapped off also.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmm Kev and a screw loose... Thinking about it, it has done that in the past - will check it all out in the week, cheers for that guys.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

year one may be cheaper (rare) but watch their P&P and also u can normlaly pay ebay people wiht paypal but not Y1.

have bought TS switches for the Fury and now the Charger.

a friend just visited Y1 and bought be over some floorpan plugs and some weatherstrips, and a chunky Y1 catalogue!