headers or manifolds

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

headers or manifolds

Post by Anonymous »

I'm thinking of changing my exhaust manifolds on my 383 2bbl charger for some hooker headers. Do you guys think it is a worth while modification as the engine is totally standard, will I get much more power and will it sound different? Cheers............... Matt.
Holly

Post by Holly »

If it's a 2bbl then a 4bbl carb, intake and headers would make LOTS more power.

Headers are tricky to fit in the starter motor area though, I'm planning on getting a mini-starter to ease any future work in that area ;)
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Headers and a good exhaust system can add between 10-25hp alone without any other changes to the engine.

However they are a pain to fit and most will leak from the head flange on a regular basis causing a tappet type noise and slow starting due to the starter getting hot.
Guy

Post by Guy »

And the problem is :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

mine turns over slow when its hot anyway, perhaps a heat shield would improve matters with the headers.
Alex

Post by Alex »

They do help make some power, especially if they are well built and designed, but for the street 90% of the time, nahh ! all the above is pretty much spot on, plus you can't enter the stock appearing class at the nats with 'em !

Every time I get in a car on factory manifolds it takes a mo to think what is so different, it is always that there is no tinny noise under the hood, just a deep mellow rumble from the back, it is so much cooler sounding to me when they are on stock units..

JM2C
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks fella's that's just the sort of info I was after. I'm not into racing anyway so there's no point buying some headers for that ( although I may be tempted to run the car down the strip one day just to get a time :) ) I really want to use the car for cruising around and just enjoying it and if I'm for ever curing leaks than I won't be enjoying it. I'm more concerned with the car sounding the business than increasing performance, if I want more power later on than I will probably put in a 440. Thinking about it I had a tubular manifold on an old capri and it was always leaking and I remember having to reweld it a few times too. Thanks again.......... Matt.