Indicators

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

What colour are the indicators on your MOT'd American car.

Red rear, white front (American style)
40%
Amber (European style)
60%

Total votes: 47

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

white twin filament front side lights

amber rear

so neither

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
sinny

Post by sinny »

Front amber, red back. Been debating on changing the rear to amber but still deciding on the best way to do this.
Shaun 'Moparless' Senior
MMA Club Chairman
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

The Olds has amber all round - bulbs changed in the front and rear reversing lights converted. My decision when I bought the car as I don't believe the majority of road users would appreciate a flashing red rear light is the indicator.
Alan; whose 72 Challenger is inexorably taking over the house.
Glen63

Post by Glen63 »

Posted this in another post, but think it is worth repeating here, as does allow you to have rear amber turn and reverse lights.

On my 68 Charger I used these lamps on the front without having to modify the side lights or wiring and they work really well.

Also use the same lamps on the rear in the reverse light position, just bought some new lamp holders with dual contacts, added the two extra wires through from the turn signal indicator, disabled the turn feed to the break lights and all works well. So I still have working reverse lights and turn indicators all in one.

When these lamps get feeds to both the white and the amber, they just flash alternately between the two. on indication they just flash amber of course.

The LED are of the new type, so very bright, seems like a nice solution, that involves the least amount of modification from original.

But I have not had the car out in the sunshine yet to see if the rear ones are bright enough, but they look pretty bright in the garage. Still rebuilding front suspension :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Yellow- ... 5d50e550ba
Adrian G
1968 Charger 318ci V8
1977 Dodge RV Camper 440ci V8
1978 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12
1984 Mercedes 280 SL
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
1999 BMW 530i
Glen63

Post by Glen63 »

Posted this in another post, but think it is worth repeating here, as does allow you to have rear amber turn and reverse lights.

On my 68 Charger I used these lamps on the front without having to modify the side lights or wiring and they work really well.

Also use the same lamps on the rear in the reverse light position, just bought some new lamp holders with dual contacts, added the two extra wires through from the turn signal indicator, disabled the turn feed to the break lights and all works well. So I still have working reverse lights and turn indicators all in one.

When these lamps get feeds to both the white and the amber, they just flash alternately between the two. on indication they just flash amber of course.

The LED are of the new type, so very bright, seems like a nice solution, that involves the least amount of modification from original.

But I have not had the car out in the sunshine yet to see if the rear ones are bright enough, but they look pretty bright in the garage. Still rebuilding front suspension :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Yellow- ... 5d50e550ba
Adrian G
1968 Charger 318ci V8
1977 Dodge RV Camper 440ci V8
1978 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12
1984 Mercedes 280 SL
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
1999 BMW 530i
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amber in rev lights for me too.
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mossy68 wrote:
drewcrane wrote:I have seen the mods yall have to make, why cant they grandfather it in ,as they came?

pardon the pun but MOT sounds like a Royal PIA
Out of interest Drew. Can you run amber rear indicators ?
Yes they can, but its down to cost why they don't use amber.
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Charger

Post by Charger »

Carl wrote:
Mossy68 wrote:
drewcrane wrote:I have seen the mods yall have to make, why cant they grandfather it in ,as they came?

pardon the pun but MOT sounds like a Royal PIA
Out of interest Drew. Can you run amber rear indicators ?
I’m in Texas right now, I would say use of red / amber is 50/50

been trying to work out if there’s some ‘rule’

maybe domestic market cars are red and cars for export / import are amber?? But doesn’t seem to follow 100%

most Jap stuff have amber, aside from trucks which I think are red

biggest surprise is Audi / VW, they’re all red, weird

:thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Charger wrote:
Carl wrote:
Mossy68 wrote: Out of interest Drew. Can you run amber rear indicators ?
I’m in Texas right now, I would say use of red / amber is 50/50

been trying to work out if there’s some ‘rule’

maybe domestic market cars are red and cars for export / import are amber?? But doesn’t seem to follow 100%

most Jap stuff have amber, aside from trucks which I think are red

biggest surprise is Audi / VW, they’re all red, weird

:thumbright:

Yea now have a Hodge poge of lights, as every state has its own laws, for plates, lights,etc, we here in Colorado dont even have a safety inspection law any more, we used to but now people just drive their junk with no lights stuff falling off, just pure crap here very unsafe
most all the old stuff is amber in the rear, but as mentioned there is now every thing, I remember the day them I saw my first German import that had turn indicators on the front wings right behind the front wheel, now I see them on most imports, the yanks have not done that as of yet
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Well at least common sense prevails over there Drew.
A flashing light ( be it red , amber or whatever)on one side of the rear of a vehicle , indicates it will be making a manoeuvre in that direction. Simples. :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Mossy68 wrote:Well at least common sense prevails over there Drew.
A flashing light ( be it red , amber or whatever)on one side of the rear of a vehicle , indicates it will be making a manoeuvre in that direction. Simples. :thumbright:
Yeah......just confuses the Bananarama! out of me when people put their hazards on....... :shock: ;) :D
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

My Plymouth runs white up front with red rears.

The other ones I own are converted by using the reverse lights,apart from my Jeep Wrecker which has US Lights that have Amber Indicators in them :scratch:
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Mossy68 wrote:Well at least common sense prevails over there Drew.
Exactly! Even though mine has red rears, as the taillight runs the whole width of the car and half of it flashes as an indicator it would be hard to misunderstand!
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

the Red upper rear lights on my Barracuda have faded to Orange so i'll use them like that. but i have added a small red LED side light. when the indicator is flashing the lamp should change from Red to Orange.