New carter carb needed

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

PS Steering box

two adjustments

proper way

first undo the box adjuster nut facing up on the top cover of the box, allen headed or slotted sector shaft adjuster

1) take box completely out of car. undo the massive hex shaped ring at the input/steering shaft end of the box
2) clean threads and wind in the aluminium adjuster (this is basically the top of the steering box around the splined steering column section)
3) wind it in until it takes a specific torque to turn the steering through the centre of travel (need manual for the torque but one of my multi point sockets fits the spline perfectly for testing this)
4) lock up the ring again
5) then wind in the adjuster to mesh the sector again. set with box at mid point just tight enough so that the steering feels slightly stiffer in the middle

cowboy way

1) wheels off ground
2) undo the sector mesh adjuster lock nut with allen headed or slotted stud through it on top cover of box
3) undo big hex lock ring clean threads
4) get under car with foot long bit of wood and a hammer.
5) tap round the aluminium end of the box that is round the splined steering column end.
6) do up lock ring
7) adjust the adjuster on the top of the box so the steering feels slightly stiff in the middle

the locking hex ring and aluminium bit adjust how hard 1 shaft in the box is wedged between its ball bearings. too tight and you will flat spot the balls.....nothing worse :)

the box adjuster sets how hard you wedge a set of steel teeth on the steering sector shaft into the valleys in the ballnut/rack

obviously in both cases too loose is a bad as too tight.

yours sounds like play between the sector teeth and the ballnut/rack

so try adjusting just that first that's the asy adjustment from the top cover of the box not the big hex ring/aluminium bearing adjustmnet.

everything in your steering box is available new apart from the RHD ballnut.

Other options

manual box and an adaptor to lengthen your steering column from firmfeel or borgeson

rebuild kit should be purchased based on thin or fat sector

thin sector is 1.125 inches

takes this seal
~ Width (in) 0.256
~ Shaft (in) 1.125
~ Bore (in) 1.561
~ Outer Diameter (in) 1.565

fat sector takes this seal

~ Shaft Size : 1.247"
~ Housing Bore : 1.687"
~ Width : 0.312"
~ Outside Diameter : 0.312"

input seal same on all

you can get them reconditioned in the UK
and buying the seals from a UK bearing supplier works out less.

housings can be machined to move seals in slightly so they run on unblemished bits of sector shaft

needle rollers inside are awkward but not impossible to get based on part number expect them to be 30-60 quid

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

CLPete wrote:
Dave999 wrote: ...

4) Carb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CARBURETT ... SwJcZWb~gP

this is a brand new Chinese copy. ...

Dave
Hi Dave (& Sammy - just jumping into your thread here for a sec!) - how did you find the import process? I note the ad has a comment about potential import duties, handling fees etc etc!

depends

if it comes via Parcel force you will be hit for VAT + duty on cost postage and either £7 or £15 for handling

if you can persuade them to send it UPS or a carrier that uses Hermes or PDP DPD ?? this end there is a 50:50 chance it will sail right to your door.

mine just arrived on the door step no questions. however that's like "lottery win" happens once every 4 or 5 things

depends if the sender just uses local post or deliberately chooses a courier that just so happened to have an "arrangement" with Parcel force this end.

keep in mind its a Chinese knock off, it could be great or it could be made last thing Friday afternoon. You may need to add your original jets rods catswhisker spring that lifts to rods up, possibly check balls choke kicker tube and based on the close up diagrams the spring clip on the accelerator pump flat rod for the bowel vent

99% of them got lost on the day the car drove off the fore-court but they do lift that little penny shaped disk up to vent the fuel bowel under certain circumstances.

Dave
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Hi Dave

Wow, thanks for all that info, I'm sure that will be very useful. I have been in touch with the garage and told him I'd like a quote for the exhaust, steering and prop shaft before I go any further.

I paid him £106 for the following:

replace perished fuel pipe as required
Bleed fuel system
replace fuel filter
run engine
tune carb
fit supplied autobox oil pan and filter
fit badge
vehicle inspection

£80 labour, 8.99 parts plus vat = 106.78

This is what he found:

Solonoid pin broken (i have arranged for this to be sorted)
Prop shaft rear uj worn to excess
Steering box has excessive play
Exhaust manifold gaskets blowing
Exhaust downpipe blowing
Exhaust system to be re-hung
Carb in poor condition

He recommends:

Replace prop shaft or rear joint
4 barrel carb conversion
Exhaust system to be re-worked
Replacement steering box
Steering alignment (after steering box replacement)

I am keen to get the car running right but if I can save some money it would really help.
Keep your kittens and handbags and gimme a V8 any day ☺
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Hi look here for product guide and prices ( holly 600 vac sec and edelbrock performer inlet manifold)....the traditional setup for general street use ( and very tuneable)
www.realsteel.co.uk
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

aussie pete wrote:Hi look here for product guide and prices ( holly 600 vac sec and edelbrock performer inlet manifold)....the traditional setup for general street use ( and very tuneable)
www.realsteel.co.uk
Hi Pete

Thanks for that. Is that the set up you have?
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Yes .been running that combo for years, parts for that carb are readily available the vacuum secondary carb is a good allrounder because when you are tootling around it runs on 2 barrels but when you stamp on the gas it opens up another 2 barrels giving better performance
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Replace prop shaft or rear joint
-i'd suggest just the joint unless the shaft is bent or way out of balance

4 barrel carb conversion
-go for it, be prepared for investment in throttle and kickdown bracket, not expensive just an extra bit that won't necessarily come with the other bits

Exhaust system to be re-worked
-fair enough

Replacement steering box
-adjustment first ..... if he needs the bit from the factory manual let me know I can scan.

Steering alignment (after steering box replacement)
Not necessary if you just take off the box and fix it or replace it. only necessary if you need it done because the car is in a state . findout if its a full castor/camber/tracking alignment or if its just the tracking. The tracking would cost you £20-£30 at ATS

and full alignment will cost way more and is only really worth doing if you replace all the bushes first or the bushes in there are new and in good condition. i.e. pointless spending 100s on labour to set up the front end when the front end is so worn that it will have unset itself by the time you get home.

if you need a full alignment with the camber and castor done i'd suggest getting someone who has experience with mopars to do it and ignore the settings in the manual you want some positive castor if you want it to steer closer to the style of a modern car.

Dave
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

I got no reply to my PM offer of a cheap intake. I take it you don't want it?

Window of opportunity to drop it off with a member somewhere close to save carriage has gone now for several weeks.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
SammyH770

PM

Post by SammyH770 »

Hi St

I haven't seen your message as I moved house and I've got no Internet til next week. I'll be in touch next week. Cheers
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

OK, let me know.

Either way not a problem, just good to know.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Stu wrote:OK, let me know.

Either way not a problem, just good to know.
Hi Stu,

Yeah will let you know. Hopefully Pete is going to take a look at the car for me. Still have no internet :roll:
SammyH770

In other news....

Post by SammyH770 »

I passed cat C LGV (HGV class 2) on Wednesday (first time!) :D :trophy: :lol: