Very short (sub 30") a body speedometer cable? '72 Demo

Moderator: Moderators

Super Sloth

Very short (sub 30") a body speedometer cable? '72 Demo

Post by Super Sloth »

During the course of replacing the a/c vacuum switch in my Demon I had to remove the gauge cluster.
When I attempted to disconnect the speedo cable from the back of the gauge cluster the 40 odd year old brittle plastic end just crumbled in my hand. Doh!

I've been looking online and the only speedo cables I can find are listed as some 60+ inches long. Whilst I haven't removed the cable from the car yet, there's no way I need something that long. I doubt it'll be even half that long?

The cable I have passes through the bulkhead and is secured to a large round canister with a 1" nut. There is a second cable on the bottom of this canister that goes off, presumably, to the transmission.

Does anyone happen to know the part number for this short cable or, indeed have one hiding amongst their stash?
What purpose does this canister serve? Is it there to prevent fluid from the gearbox traveling up into the gauge cluster via capillary action, perhaps?

I've attached a picture to illustrate the canister.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.
Attachments
Speedo cannister.jpg
Speedo cannister.jpg (231.05 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
-Jon.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I have not got a clue what that canister is, possibly a damper of some sort ?
If all else fails you could get a new one made up at http://www.speedycables.com/
Blue

Post by Blue »

That's a new one on me, never seen that before. Cable is normally one piece, speedo to trans on any Mopar I've ever seen. Wondering if it's part of something aftermarket like a cruise control that might have been later removed?
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

No I have not seen that before, speedo cable is usually one piece to the tranny.
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

I'm not sure of the extra bit in your cable, my 1973 dart didn't have one.
I needed a new cable for mine . I imported one, and it was correct at the speedo end, for my car , but the gearbox end was too small, so I imported another one, and that was identical to the first one, neither fit my car, but do fit others in the series with other gearboxes with a 5/8 screw-fit gearbox fitting. Can post pictures if needed.
part numbers are ATP Y- 881 and PIONEER CA- 3027
Let me know if they would work for you.

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/spee ... ble/77616/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer-Cab ... 0991722327
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

I believe I now know what I have...

Last night I found a photo of a Dart with the same setup. I just pulled the car out the garage today to do some more investigation.

There is a part number on the canister and it turns out it's a proper mopar part which ties in with the vehicle being very original. Mopar part number 3438494.
Apparently it's a to do with the California spec smog system.

There is a wire coming out of the side of it that plugs into the wiring loom which runs off to a temp sender on the passenger side bulkhead.
Apparently it provides a ground signal to a control module for the NOX system when the car hits 40mph?

There's one for sale here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mopar-nox-spe ... SwHjNV-4pT

Apparently part of the systems job is to retard the ignition at speed which obviously isn't going to help performance wise...
So, I guess this leaves me with a bit of a problem... I believe the smog system is currently all hooked up and working.

Do I try and find a part number and source the correct short speedo and get the car back on the road without modification. Or, do I bypass the lot with a new 63" speedo cable and then start working out what I need to do to remove the smog system? I understand this might start getting a bit expensive as I think I have to change the distributor amongst other things?

I'm a bit stumped, chaps. :?
Last edited by Super Sloth on Fri Feb 05, 16 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jon.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Have it on mine as well..............Not suprising as its a 72 from Cali.

Had issues with bouncing speedo and pulled the wire through the sheath........Packed tube with graphite grease and re-inserted.

No problems since.

Cant say I've ever noticed any issues from it.......TBH im not sure if its even hooked up......I doubt it. Aftermarket carb, plus I have loads of dead end wires:

Can just see it behind the MC with the big black speed cable entering the top:

I'd go with sourcing a replacement cable........try rockauto!!! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Well, I've never seen that set up, never done learning here! Personally I'd bin it all off, dizzy is probably the same, ECU might be different, can't see it would come to much money to do.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Unless you have electronic lean burn

in which case the Dizzy has no advance and its all done by an abacus attached to the air cleaner side

you'd know if you had that though as the car would get oooh 15-17 MPG

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Take cable off

send to Speedy cables London Ltd (in Swansea)

they will make new

and send it and its new cousin back (once you have paid)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

I would say Speedy Cables too, just send them what you have & tell them that you want a 1 piece cable. They are not as speedy as they used to be when they were in Kings Cross, but they are still as good.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
68Roadrunner

Speedo

Post by 68Roadrunner »

I too have that set up on my 72 dart, no problems.😀
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

How do folks...

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Much appreciated as always!
I kept all the pieces from the original cable and spent some time carefully stitching them back together with some very strong superglue I use for work and then reinforced the whole lot with several jackets of araldite. Put it all back together and it works so at least we can use the car in the short term.

I've been gifted an original short speedo cable from a very nice chap in the states so I'll get a copy of this made up and then I'll have a spare.
From what I've read, people are using these smog triggers for other applications like engaging overdrives so it might have a practical use further down the line? Not sure what that might be yet, though (if anything)?

Dave! No "abacus" on the air cleaner. It does manage about 18.5MPG, though, whilst not driving particularly economically?

All the best,

Jon.
-Jon.