Challenger Dash and bulbs - lots of bulbs and questions ...

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Challenger Dash and bulbs - lots of bulbs and questions ...

Post by Garp »

Duh ! .....Today whilst lying on my back in the footwell looking at the rats nest of wiring cable-tied to the steering column, I noticed something ....
Now I don't have a "operating" glovebox manual so I always thought that the console dials were lit from behind - but then I spied the 3 little bulb holders and can feel the "lenses" they shine through, sadly all are missing bulbs (which explains why no dash lights) - does anyone know the bulb size ? voltage ? Bayonet fit (I assume) ?
Do they run in series like old Xmas tree lights, so if one goes they all go ?
Talking of Bulbs, I have one that does illuminate on the far left f the dash below the speedo when the lights are on, the oil light (not working - bulb size, voltage and fitting unknown as yet to remove dash) and then there is the middle bulb - looks like it should illuminate for something but do not know what ..... someone here does I'm sure.
Lastly, headliner light is without a bulb - size, voltage unknown but can see it is a bayonet fit - does this just light up if the door is opened ?
Sorry for all the little questions but the service manuals that I have downloaded are tricky to navigate, and although telling me how to remove the dash, don't tell me what each thing on the dash is (well not that I can find as yet).
:read2:
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

put Mopar dash bulbs into Ebay.com

find the name/code of it and look it up in the UK
they are a wedge fitting and available

may as well get holders as well. they go hard and brittle with age, heat and overheating when people put 5 watt or 7 watt bulbs in them

you have a choice

5 watt and 2.5 watt

get the 2.5 watt any higher wattage and you will melt the gell dome

you may as well also order a new set of mopar dash Gell domes in green

you fit them from the front and melt the feet with a soldering iron on the back of the dah pod to hold them in.

general illumination has a green dome

there is 1 bulb that goes behind the red light to show the hand brake is on

another goes in as an oil light if you have no oil pressure gauge

anything specific runs off its own circuit.

the bulb for any column change auto trans quadrant light is the same bulb in holder with a green condom
same for the aircon control if you have one

the general illumination runs off the variable resistor near the headlamp switch that probably also controls the dome light.

or do the whole lot in wedge bulb style LED.
but be aware that the dimming won't work

dome light works when door is open
dome light works when you wind the dash dimmer round to the brightest and then click it one step further (or it does on mine)

again choose a low wattage bulb
make sure you get the correct one

early mopar used some wired twin filament jobby with offset bayonet

later used a normal bayonet

later again and many aussie ones used a bullet shaped thing with a contact each end like the one you use for you No. plate light a bit like a fat glass fuse.

mix up the first two and you will melt the wires from the light in the roof all the way down the screen pillar back to the dash....

use the melted wires to pull through new wires. the old wires may well be mastic-ed in depending on how well you car screen pillar has held up under the rubber and how slap dash the last screen installer was.

and make sure you insulate the back of the lamp and its bulb holder from the inside of the roof.

Dave
Last edited by Dave999 on Wed Mar 02, 16 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Garp

Post by Garp »

Dave999 wrote:put Mopar dash bulbs into Ebay.com

find the name/code of it and look it up in the UK
they are a wedge fitting and available

may as well get holders as well. they go hard and brittle with age, heat and overheating when people put 5 watt or 7 watt bulbs in them

you have a choice

5 watt and 2.5 watt

get the 2.5 watt any higher wattage and you will melt the gell dome

you may as well also order a new set of mopar dash Gell domes in green

you fit them from the front and melt the feed with a soldering iron on the back of the dah pod to hold them in.

general illumination has a green dome

there is 1 bulb that goes behind the red light to show the hand brake is on

another goes in as an oil light if you have no oil pressure gauge

anything specific runs off its own circuit.

the bulb for any column change auto trans quadrant light is the same bulb in holder with a green condom
same for the aircon control if you have one

the general illumination runs off the variable resistor near the headlamp switch that probably also controls the dome light.

or do the whole lot in wedge bulb style LED.
but be aware that the dimming won't work

Dave
Cheers Dave - On it !
So the missing light is the handbrake then - that'd make sense.
I'll get looking - Thanks
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

I use these for the dash.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYPE-3-Sideli ... SwDNdV3dwQ

You can get them from your local car spares shop.
1970 Road Runner, 505CI, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears.
11.98 @ 117mph on street tyres
MattH

Post by MattH »

Mine is a non rallye dash with the big speedo.
The lights are handbrake, oil pressure and main beam.
Mine is missing 2 of the coloured covers that dim the bulb so I can just see bare bulbs through the tubes when the oil lught and handbrake are on.
I initially thought you were talking about the dash illumination, which is the overhead lights that shine forwards to the front of the guages. I just put brighter bulbs in mine so I can actually see the speedo at night, but LEDs are probably the best way to go for that if you need to do that as well.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Garp

Post by Garp »

MattH wrote:Mine is a non rallye dash with the big speedo.
Mine is missing 2 of the coloured covers that dim the bulb so I can just see bare bulbs through the tubes when the oil lught and handbrake are on.
I initially thought you were talking about the dash illumination, which is the overhead lights that shine forwards to the front of the guages. I just put brighter bulbs in mine so I can actually see the speedo at night, but LEDs are probably the best way to go for that if you need to do that as well.
Cheers Matt,
was actually talking about all of them - my dash is the same as yours and nothing except high beam works or has a cover, dash illumination is totally out as has no bulbs - once I have some I will see if working or not .
Dome light on headliner - does that have a switch hidden somewhere ? or does it just illuminate when the doors are open ?
Cheers
Garp
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ignore what I said about wedge fitting

that would appear to be aussie specific

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
MattH

Post by MattH »

dash illumination is just three bulbs behind blue covers, runs off the sidelight circuit. I put brighter conventional bulbs in but I think other members have done great jobs with LEDs on Chargers.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I used LEDs in my dash, cleaned the PCB and terminals as well. The dash went from a dismal yellow to a very satisfactory white glow that lights it up well enough that you can even see the difference in bright sunlight. Without being so bright that it distracts you at night.

I just took one of the normal dash bulbs to my local car spares place and asked if they had an LED version.

Can't show a photo as its in bits and nothing's connected
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

The dome light should come on when the doors are opened. Mine stayed on all the time so I had to take the bulb out, but Derek spotted it was fitted with the wrong type of bulb and replaced it (should be a single contact point on the base, not two).

I bought a bulb kit on eBay which had every bulb for the car and they mark the packets so you know what goes where.
Garp

Post by Garp »

Rebel wrote:I used LEDs in my dash, cleaned the PCB and terminals as well. The dash went from a dismal yellow to a very satisfactory white glow that lights it up well enough that you can even see the difference in bright sunlight. Without being so bright that it distracts you at night.

I just took one of the normal dash bulbs to my local car spares place and asked if they had an LED version.

Can't show a photo as its in bits and nothing's connected
oooooh .... like the sound of this !!!!!! Not strictly stock but deffo' better
:thumbright:
Garp

Post by Garp »

Bilko wrote:The dome light should come on when the doors are opened. Mine stayed on all the time so I had to take the bulb out, but Derek spotted it was fitted with the wrong type of bulb and replaced it (should be a single contact point on the base, not two).

I bought a bulb kit on eBay which had every bulb for the car and they mark the packets so you know what goes where.
thanks for the info....
:thumbright:
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

I got spares of them Matt, just lemme know which ones and I'll dig em out of the garage loft :thumbright:
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
MattH

Post by MattH »

Adrian Worman wrote:
I got spares of them Matt, just lemme know which ones and I'll dig em out of the garage loft :thumbright:
Ade that would be great. I have one red one which is currently the main beam and tow missing the covers, but I am not sure if they are meant to be different colours or all red. Blue would make more sense for the main beam.
Garp

Post by Garp »

Adrian Worman wrote:
I got spares of them Matt, just lemme know which ones and I'll dig em out of the garage loft :thumbright:[/quot

....... Hey , considering me starting this thread, surely I get dibs on spares ?
Just kidding. All the help is appreciated. G,x