shipping a car from australia

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

rfullarton

shipping a car from australia

Post by rfullarton »

hello has anyone shipped a car from oz, like to hear any tips and the total costs ? has anyone tried to claim their car is of historical basis ? thanks
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I shipped mine

I failed to get historical status but this was 12 years ago

I think you would have an eassier time of it now

I shipped with an aussie shipper but I was shipping a whole house full of stuff which we put on a trestle above the car

all arrived in decent nick

they had locked the keys in the car, knocked off my wing mirror and the wheels and chrome suffered but other than that

picked it up from container depot on the North circular started it and went for a hoon around ikea's car park.

registration was easy enough

I provided detail off an aussie site that explained the chassis number and its relation to manufacture date which they seemed to use at face value
it matched well enough with the dates of first registration on the aussie ownership papers

and my address is Oz matched the papers as well

all good

can't remember how much

you need bill of sale
I didn't need an export licence
I needed to prove I owned it
the shippers did customos and got me the form to show I'd paid tax and import

have a chat with Ron Fenton at STS imports see what he thinks

he normally ships from the US but obviously has contacts with a range of shipping agents.

Ron is a member his member name is RonFenton
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
adrianp

Post by adrianp »

Bought mine over from Oz (Melbourne). Found the experience pretty painless and claimed the car as historical with the lower tax rate. Give Golden Chariots and RJJ Freight a call. That should give you a few places to start in terms of cost. Both can do pickup/delivery to/from the port as well (well they did last time I checked anyway). I got RJJ as a recommendation from another forum member here who bought his car in from Oz. As Dave suggested Ron Fenton may be able to help as well - not sure if he ships from Oz though.

I do remember container was an additional £1k above RoRo costs. At a guess I think you probably wouldn't get too much change from £2k with RoRo. But I'm going back a few years now so best to call a few shippers and get a more recent idea.

adrian.
rfullarton

Post by rfullarton »

thanks for the replys