Lambda Wideband Gauge

Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I have had roger's up my tail end at last years nats
he stuck it up there and had a kip wjile i fartarsed around until i got me carb sorted

and it was of great benefit

his is mounted in a tube/clip arrangement so you can clamp it into the end of your tailpipe with a jubilee.

my tail pipe was a little slender but we managed by stretching and bending his mount slightly

no reason why the AEM couldn't be portable

mount it in a an extruded ally case from maplins and use a cable clamp so you don't knack the flimsy connectors on the back

jobs a goodun

croc clips to battery to run it

NICE!

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
GTXJim

Post by GTXJim »

What I'm looking for is Air fuel gauge at the moment for tuning, but something that can be part of a data package at a later date, so I don't mind paying a bit more too start with so I don't have to upgrade again, When I build the big twin turbo fuel injected motor ;)
Petrol is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking, Nitro is for racing!!!

Hell Yeah!! I'm a Redneck
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

AEM will do that for ya

Serial Output (optional)
The serial output can be used for data logging when an EFI system is not accessible. To run the data stream, a RS-232 (DB-9) Female Receptacle shall be purchased. 123456789
Wire View of RS-232 (DB-9) Male Plug
Two wires need to be connected to a RS-232 serial port. The BLUE wire from the AEM UEGO Gauge shall be connected to Pin #2 (RX) on the serial port for receiving data. Pin # 5 (GND) on the serial port shall be grounded. If a standard 9-pin serial cable is to be cut instead, the (RX) wire is typically RED and the (GND) wire is typically GREEN. However, this should be confirmed with a continuity tester before attempting.
Use HyperTerminal for testing the data stream. This software is found on most PCs. To find HyperTerminal go to: Start | All Programs | Accessories | Communications | HyperTerminal. Name the New Connection and click OK. Set the COM port to the one being used and click OK.
Bits Per Second = 9600
Data Bits = 8
Parity = None
Stop Bits = 1
Flow Control = Hardware
Verify the settings above and click OK. When power is supplied to the AEM UEGO Gauge, AFR (or Lambda) data will be displayed, as shown below

OR

Analog Output
If the AEM UEGO gauge is to be connected to an AEM EMS, the UEGO gauge’s WHITE Analog Output wire shall be connected to an EMS Lambda input. Locating a suitable Lambda input channel can be done using the Application Notes provided with the EMS. If the Application Notes are not readily accessible, a current list of AEM Engine Management Systems is illustrated below.
Lambda input

so it has serial data out for logging, using industry standard RS232 interface

2 wire or 3 if you want

9600 baud 8 none 1 with hardware flow control i.e (buffering and handshake)

and a 0-5 volt analogue output to represent Lambda values

(use it to trigger water injection or to switch off ya nitrous if it all goes melty melty pear shaped)

which you are supposed to plug into other AEM products but can be plugged into anything that can be calibrated to act on a analogue trigger from 0-5 volts

http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images/Pr ... 0-4100.pdf

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Roger

Post by Roger »

marknlindsey wrote:
Dave999 wrote:Ive got an AEM. but not used in anger yet
comes with all you need including the weld in bungs and about 3 faces and bezels

standard mounting

this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AEM-GAUGE-6-in-1- ... 45eff60fa0

has serial output for logging

just use hyperterminal in windows

has other outputs to act as input to megasquirt or igntion

typical modern plastic guage light as a feather so that doesn't inspire confidnece

but the leads and sensor are top quality

sensor is pre calibrated bosch wide band

ad the gauge can be configured to display so or 3 different ways of measureing air fule ratio
and be set up for alcohol and either diesel or bio fuel i think as well as race fuel and standard

lead in the fuel tends to knack them 50% faster

Dave
Im looking for a Air/fuel gauge to check the running of my cars, could you make this work as a 'portable unit' ie make a clamp to stick the sensor up the end of the exhaust? would this give false readings?
Yes, it will work, but you need a "proper" thingy for the sensor if you just want to clamp it to the tailpipe. Sadly, the only ones ive seen are the innovate ones.

That said, its not the ideal place to put it. It wont be very accurate at idle, but it will be fine under load.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

I bought the PLX system from the guy in Greece on ebay.uk and fitted two sensors, one to each exhaust header connector. Problem is the gauge appears to be faulty giving erratc outer led readings and no central digital info at all. He was supposed to send me a return voucher ,but, it never materialised. Guess I'll have to send it to the US.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Birdman wrote:I bought the PLX system from the guy in Greece on ebay.uk and fitted two sensors, one to each exhaust header connector. Problem is the gauge appears to be faulty giving erratc outer led readings and no central digital info at all. He was supposed to send me a return voucher ,but, it never materialised. Guess I'll have to send it to the US.
You can buy them in the UK from EDO performance.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Just been reading these old threads. How are your AfR's holding up?
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 Wimbledon White. Currently a 302 auto but to be 410 4 speed.
Blue

Post by Blue »

My PLX still works!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
dustymopar

Post by dustymopar »

My AEM from 2009 still works and my PLX (my favoured due to the gauge info) from 2013 does too :thumbright: