Engine cutting out.

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Deady

Engine cutting out.

Post by Ian Deady »

Hi,
I'm hoping that someone out there has a simple explanation or remedy to help. My 400ci 73 Charger starts ok, idles rough and then quits when a gear is selected. Restarts fine, quits again when gear selected.

It has a 750cfm Edelbrock 1407 and Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold.

I have changed all filters and plugs, and have just stripped the carb and cleaned out the filthy float chambers and jets. I have not adjusted timing since it last ran well. I am getting fuel and have a good spark. I have checked the wiring from key through to distributor and can find no issues.

I don't know what to do next, any suggestions greatly appreciated.
1973 Charger 400ci 4bbl
What have I got myself into now???

Don't confuse activity with progress.
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Hi Ian

Check the timing before you do anything else, its the most important step to troubleshooting a poorly running engine.
I know you've no adjusted it yourself since you last did it but that cxertainly does'nt mean its still right, so check and reset first.

If you've pulled the carb to strip and clean it then you'll need to check the idle mixture screws on the front of the carb. To baseline them screw them in until gently seated and then back each one out 2 full turns. That'll get you pretty close.
If that shows no improvement its likely you disturbed the float levels when you removed the airhorn, so unscrew the top of the carb and reset the floats very carefully.
Make sure the floats are square to the airhorn and that they are equal, I think the measurement is 7/16" you can look it up online.

Edelbrock Performers are very good at slow speed operation if tuned properly ;)
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Oh and put this post in the Engine section in the Tech fotum, you're much more likely to get a good response with this sort of topic :thumbright:
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

I would check for air getting in somewhere its not wanted ie carb gasket
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like