Centre hole

Moderator: Moderators

Bryan

Centre hole

Post by Bryan »

Ive got some wheels but the centre hole is bigger than my originals. The pcd is all ok.

How important is it for the centre hole to be snug on the hub?

If it is, any tricks on how i can get round it, i.e. a sleeve type thing maybe?????
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 Wimbledon White. Currently a 302 auto but to be 410 4 speed.
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

That must be a very good fit, if you rely on the lugs to center the wheel you will have alot of vibration, so the term is hubcentric,and that is what is used to center the wheel,if there is any slop there the wheel will never be on center.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yup

but can also depend on the wheel.

steels or alloys with flat washers and nuts most definitely hub centric through and through, there is nothing else to centre the wheel.

Mopars don't in general have them but some aftermarket slot mags and some of the multi fit wheels do fit Mopars and use that kind of mounting

steels or alloys that take a tapered or profiled washer lug nut, Acorn nut or bolt with taper or profile to the head

you can get away with it. but really depends on the match of seat in the wheel and the nut/washer.
If all is correct in theory the dish in the wheel around the lugnut or washer profile centres the wheel

but you must cris-cross and do up in steps to torque specified in manual like you were doing a cylinder head. don't do them up one after the other in a ring, the last one done up will greatly stress to two opposite. equal steps is the way

deep set mounting in an alloy wheel using tapered seat and sleeve nuts with a taper at the end of the sleeve under the nut head
the sleeve and taper centre the wheel. these wheels often have push through caps that need some space between the register on the axle shaft and the hole in the middle of the wheel these are not hub-centric mounting.

the fiction between the wheel and the hub once torqued to spec. is what supports the car
not the wheel centre on the register on the hub, if we depended on that the hole in the centre would gradually get bigger.

Any wheel will come undone if the seat for the lug nut or washer is painted or plastic coated.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

Aftermarket wheels hardly, if ever fit the hub like a factory wheel does. I have fitted more wheels to more cars than I've had hot dinners over the years and it's never been an issue.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Cheers lads. Its a Torque Thrust D wheel and looking at websites, i can't see other centre sizes.
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 Wimbledon White. Currently a 302 auto but to be 410 4 speed.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Had TT D's on loads of cars, as Blue says; It's not an issue.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Cheers Pete.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

If you are worried about it, you can get spigot rings to fit in the centre hole of the wheel to reduce it down to the size of the hub it needs to fit. Available on eBay for not a lot of money, you just need to know the size of the hub and the size of the centre hole.
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm not convinced that the centre hole size is relevant.

If the centre register was to give the wheel any meaningful support at all, it would have to fit so tightly that you wouldn't be able to mount the wheel by hand.

Just my 2c .
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Going back to my tyre fitting days-

The only time the centre really matters is when a wheel is spigot mounted, generally all our old stuff is stud centring, so drive on.
Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Matt wrote:I'm not convinced that the centre hole size is relevant.

If the centre register was to give the wheel any meaningful support at all, it would have to fit so tightly that you wouldn't be able to mount the wheel by hand.

Just my 2c .
Yep.....As I tried with the spigot rings I bought off eBay for when I had slotmags on the Dart.

Wouldn't mount properly and even if I got it all lined up it just didn't feel right. So binned them.

If your doing mile long burnouts in an 800hp monster whilst hammering round the alpine pass then it may be of more concern due to the loadings, but for normal driving I see no issue. The same goes with modern cars......none of them are tight on the centre hole.
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"