Timing

Moderator: Moderators

XP29

Post by XP29 »

Pete wrote:Sounds perfect Chris, you need more pump shot.
Cheers Pete. Is that adjustable on an Edelbrock?
1966 Charger, 383 4bbl, 4 speed manual trans, Sure-grip, original paint.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Barely, Edelbroke's Achilles heel.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Is this the pump that's at the front on the drivers side? I see that has slight adjustment in there's three holes the arm can go into, mines in the middle hole.
Pete

Post by Pete »

That's the puppy but in my experience it is pretty ineffective....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

XP29

Post by XP29 »

Ok, I'll move to another hole and try it. Should I be going for the hole nearer the carb body(bottom)? Or the air cleaner(top)?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Can't remember - the one that gives the most travel if possible.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

XP29

Post by XP29 »

Ok, thanks for the help Pete :)
XP29

Post by XP29 »

I've moved the pump shot up to the top hole which from googling gives it more shot and it seems to make no difference. Car drives fine normally, even at speed. It's just when you stamp on the pedal as in launching at the strip, other time I notice is while at cruising speed, if I am doing say 50 and feathering the pedal then stamp on it to go there's a flat spot then it goes.
Pete

Post by Pete »

That can be fixed with a Holley ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

XP29

Post by XP29 »

I need to know if I have a problem elsewhere first. The Carter I had before didn't have this issue and is essentially the same as an Edelbrock?
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Been having another look today as I was child free. Undid the dizzy again to adjust and check. I find it hard to hear when the revs level off to then go back a couple of degrees. I pulled the vac pipe off the carb and plugged it. Started engine, turned dizzy anti clockwise till it started to stumble, then went clockwise till I think it's leveled out (if I go further it cuts out). Today I was getting this at 24 degrees. I set the revs to 700ish. Then revved it to 2500 and its reading bang on 34 degrees and stays at that up to 3500rpm. Then plugged the vac pipe back on, checked where both mixture screws were and turned them in till each side stumbled, then backed off half a turn, which put them back where they started. I moved the pump shot up to the top hole near the pivot.

After all that I'm still getting a bog down if I try to set off quick from standstill, also if cruising and I take my foot off and then stamp on the pedal. Otherwise it's driving great. Although it stinks from the exhaust in an eye watering way. Any tips on how to proceed? I'm trying to learn about the ignition system and timing etc. is just 10 deg advance ok/normal?
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Sorry to pester with this, but want to check if what I'm getting is ok? I've been told highest initial timing I can get is best, been given figures of 17-22. If I'm getting 24-26 is that ok? My advance seems to be 34 no matter what the initial is. I'm checking both with the vac pipe from dizzy to carb pulled off the carb and end plugged.
Pete

Post by Pete »

34 all in is the main target.

It sounds like you are getting loads of initial timing, which is good providing that the car will still start Ok, and there is no overheating issues.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

XP29

Post by XP29 »

Thanks Pete. It's firing up no problem from cold and when it's warm. Although I've only had it out Tues afternoon, I did have a good hours drive around and it say at the usual 160/170 on the temp gauge. I'm going to be pushed yo get it out tomorrow in the day, but hope to to test again. As we are driving round the M25 in tea time traffic to Buster Lang as soon as Mrs gets home. :shock:
dustymopar

Post by dustymopar »

Chris, I checked the timing before Dave sold it to you. The initial was 21 deg and all in @ 34. I left it at that on the basis that the previous owner likely altered the timing slots to achieve this specific timing event, incidentally my 383 runs the same. It sounds like carb tuning to me :thumbright: