1967 Dodge Musicmaster

Moderator: Moderators

Sandy

1967 Dodge Musicmaster

Post by Sandy »

Hi,

The day we collected the Monaco from Farmer Ted in Michigan the radio went up in smoke.

When the car came back to the U.K. Matt Snowball very kindly lent us the service manual for the radio and I managed to send it to a very helpful guy in Bristol who fixed it and it worked happily, if AM only, until I managed, on Friday evening to break the on/off rotary switch. The rotary turns and turns but doesn't click.

It is a Dodge Musicmaster 241 (or 377, Bendix 7BDD) from a 1967 Dodge Monaco.

There is another guy in Bristol who fixes old radios but he doesn't remember fixing ours as he says he has only been in business for a few years and ours was fixed about ten years ago.

Does anyone know of any companies, here or in the US, that supplies parts for these radios so we can ship the parts here and have it fixed here rather than send the radio abroad (or buy another as otherwise it works perfectly)?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Radio

The broken switch (at top)

All the best
Dodge This, Cat That

RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Hi Sandy,
About 5 years ago we sent our Sport Satellite's radio (as below) to a guy in Bristol named Adrian, to get it converted to AM/FM/Stereo/with MP3 connection.
His email address is/was: regiesradios@02.co.uk

Dunno if that could have been the same person?

He did have some similar radios amongst his stock, so he may have spares for yours? If he's still trading...

I should have a company name and phone number for him somewhere. If you think it might be useful, i'll see if I can dig it out.

Cheers, Rob
Attachments
DSCF8316 - Copy (Medium).JPG
DSCF8316 - Copy (Medium).JPG (132.3 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rob,

I am not at home at the moment so I can't remember the name of the guy who said he had just been in business a few years but the other info you have is hopeful and sounds like the guy who may have worked on Linda's.

I couldn't find an email address for him but my PC crashed in 2009 so that may explain that.

An FM conversion would be nice, but there is something nice about the fuzzy crackles...

Thanks in advance.

All the best
Dodge This, Cat That

sharpie

Post by sharpie »

i think o2 recently canned all their email addresses after selling their broadband to sky last year ... so that email may not work
Daily drive - 74 dodge dart hardtop 318 green/black
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

sharpie wrote:i think o2 recently canned all their email addresses after selling their broadband to sky last year ... so that email may not work
Thats right, there's no way of getting any o2 emails they shut it all down after sky took over.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Sandy - found this info amongst the old stuff I've held onto... thankfully!

His / their details as follows:

Car Radio Repair & Resto Service
Mr A C James
10 Westview
Paulton
Bristol
BS39 7XJ

tel - 01761 413933

Not sure if he's still in business tho? :?
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rob,

Just an update. Couldn't get hold of either of the guys in Bristol so sent the radio to Robert Pacini in New York. It should be on its way back now.

Luckily Linda does stuff in the U.S. and gets paid in dollars into her U.S. bank account. Very handy at the moment :)

Robert has fettled the radio and kept me up to date with progress and what he has done. About a four week turnaround too. We were both impressed by him.

There as a nice article about him in Hemmings Muscle Machines which I had read just a few weeks before I broke it.

All the best

Many thanks to Matt Snowball as well for the scanned manual
Dodge This, Cat That

RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Sandy wrote:Hi Rob,

Just an update. Couldn't get hold of either of the guys in Bristol so sent the radio to Robert Pacini in New York. It should be on its way back now.

Luckily Linda does stuff in the U.S. and gets paid in dollars into her U.S. bank account. Very handy at the moment :)

Robert has fettled the radio and kept me up to date with progress and what he has done. About a four week turnaround too. We were both impressed by him.

There as a nice article about him in Hemmings Muscle Machines which I had read just a few weeks before I broke it.

All the best

Many thanks to Matt Snowball as well for the scanned manual
Glad to hear you got it sorted Sandy. Not so pleased to hear you cant get hold of the chap that did ours tho... :?

Just before we got ours done, I read an article in HMM about a guy in the States that restores and upgrades old car radios - may be the same article? It must have been about 5 years ago?
It was that article that gave me the idea to get ours converted.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rob,

Yes, that would be right, it is the same guy. He doesn't actually do an FM conversion but he repaired the rotary switch, does a tune up and renews components and then fitted the MP3/CD jack.

Some things came out of our emails which may be of interest.

What I broke (the on/off function of the rotary volume control) is very common and can be either easily fixed (in our case) or need a new switch. He recommends a delicate touch with the on/off function or just turn the radio down but not off.

Back in the day these radios used 8ohm speakers. About 1985 onwards most if not all replacement speakers went to 4ohm. You are advised never to power up these old Musicmasters without the speakers connected. original 8ohm speakers, which the Monaco still has, have square magnets. Replacement speakers have round ones.

Cost was repair $100, tune up $50, MP3 $50. Return postage $69.

Outward postage was £47.

No doubt there will be some horrendous duty/handling charge nonsense too :x

I'll let you know how it sounds.

All the best
Dodge This, Cat That

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rob,

Puzzlingly, but greatly appreciated, no handling/duty charges. Just a wee note to collect from my local post office.

It does sound great though :thumbright:

Weirdly (on all counts) it was tuned to Radio Teuchter-land and we were assailed by Scottish country dancing music for some minutes before firing up the ipod and doing the Dandy Warhols head nod ...shades of Wayne' World.

Very impressed with Robert's service. All in all not cheap (though helped by Linda's dollars - see above) but he kept us informed of what he was doing and the whole process took about five weeks.

All the best
Dodge This, Cat That

sharpie

Post by sharpie »

repairs returned to owner shouldnt accrue duty or handling ... one to remember
Daily drive - 74 dodge dart hardtop 318 green/black
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

sharpie wrote:repairs returned to owner shouldnt accrue duty or handling ... one to remember
Ok in theory but they'd rather ignore that you've told them that's it's a repair being returned and charge you anyway and say you can claim it back which is a very laborious process :x