3rd gen B body bulkhead rust

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

octanejunkie

3rd gen B body bulkhead rust

Post by octanejunkie »

Today i found a good reason why 3rd gen B bodys rust so badly in the bulkhead area.
The three large pieces of stainless that sits below the windscreen are held in with 6 or 7 self tapping screws and a bolt. Beneath them, towards the end at each edge there looks to be a panel join just near where water runs off the windscreen and passes right over it. There is some factory seam seal there. On my car it was just starting to show signs of degradation there and the seam seal was lifting.
Also, the aperture by the inner fender where the water drains away is quite small and easily blocked with debris, leading to it pooling up and sitting.
Also, the screw holes for the aforementioned pieces of brightwork are at risk, by the nature of the self tapping screws.
Do yourself a favour and take off those lower trims and get some protection in there.
You can see in the picture where i've removed mine today how much dross there is wedged in there. Its a nightmare waiting to happen.

"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Yep already found that the other year along with the rest of the tin worm :roll:

MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

It can also get nasty under those plastic grills especially on drivers side if the drain hole has got bunged up.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

MilesnMiles wrote:It can also get nasty under those plastic grills especially on drivers side if the drain hole has got bunged up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: found that too