jackstand procedure

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

jackstand procedure

Post by Garp »

Morning all,
I need to get the Chally up on jackstands so I can switch out the starter motor.
Do I just jack up each wheel and put a stand in or must I jack up from a central point so I can get two in - slightly worried about it sliding off one as I jack up for the other.
Rather boring request but thanks nonetheless
:thumbright:
Last edited by Garp on Fri Feb 17, 17 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

I jack up on the main frame members and then use a jackstand as well.
I also use an ally block I have and put between stand and chassis rail to keep it flat.
Don't forget to undo the batttey earth, don't want that starter spinning over when you undo the leads to it and shorten them out with a spanner. Can be most entertaining :oops:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Not saying this is the right way

but i haven't been crushed yet

stick the jack under the k frame
if you don't care about the frame paint make sure one of the lips on the cup extends into the very edge of the sump U shape in the frame so if the jack doesn't move on its wheels the cup doesn't slip too far across the base of the K frame.

if you do care about the paint on the frame use a nice rubber insert like th tyre places use in the cup. Or a circle of flat plywood that's taller than the cup kinda works

the bigger the jack
the bigger the cup
the less damage you cause becasue the weight is spread across the K frame bottom rather than concentrated in 1 place

Jack it to the max

stick the stands under the chassis rails a few inches back from where they kick up to the front suspension mounts (by the torque boxes on Aussie/cabrio/hemi cars)

i.e you want the stands where they can't slip.

the front of the car will droop a small amount when you remove the jack, some of it is the car rising slightly at the rear suspension and some of it is genuine bending of the car!!!!...... but that is normal (thats why there is a slip joint in the steering coupling!!!!)

provided you are on smooth ground and the jack has nice wheels you could then, if you so wanted, jack up the rear and use stands under the axle tubes or rear sub frame near the spring mounts in front of the wheels .

Only necessary if you are painting or waxoyling. most other things you are working at one end or the other

but i tend not to jack both ends, as i like at least 2 wheels on the ground and if i'm under the front i like the hand brake on....

if its a manual take it out of gear before testing starter :)

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
MattH

Post by MattH »

Agree with Dave, under the middle, then two stands. Dont do one side at a time, too much slippy wobblage on the one stand as the car pivots on it.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Once a car is on the stands I like to leave the trolley jack just nipped up against the K member. Not taking any weight as such - just there tight against the K member.
That way if I manage to topple it off the stands there's a 2nd chance in my favor that the jack might prop it up and save me becoming a pavement pizza.
-Jon.