New member and Mopar owner

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

toppers33

New member and Mopar owner

Post by toppers33 »

Hello to all,
I've become the recent owner of a '66 Dodge Corornet 440 and recently joined the Club. I've been out of the car scene for a few years and look forward to being in it once again.

The boring bit, me ;) I've had allsorts of cars and motorbikes but have always fancied owning a 60's yank. I know one end of a spanner from another and hope to offer advice as I can and likewise aren't afraid to ask for advice when I need it. My last interesting car was a Cobra replica. I built it myself including the engine, diff suspension, wiring loom, headers, side pipes, even the interior leather work. Ford 351 Cleveland that made a healthy 427hp (apt number for a Cobra and 441lbft of tq on EDA's dyno). It was a fun car at 1000kg but didn't have enough seats when x3 children came into my life.

The interesting bit :thumbright: I had a shortlist of cars I had someone in California searching for but the right car at the right cost didn't turn up so I called off the search as I wanted to be in something ready to roll for Spring. The the Coronet turned up and being one that was on my short list I jumped at the chance to do a deal on it. It's now mine and I'm chuffed to bits with it. 1966 Corornet 440, 383ci, 727 Tq flite, 3.23 Sure Grip, headers , H pipe, Flow Master 40's, Ali intake, 4 barrel and electronic ignition. The car is SOLID :thumbright: Even still in factory primer underneath and hasn't been undersealed. The wheels are 15" with some rather dodgy polyglass front tyres that will be changed very soon. Original blue vinyl bench seat interior in good condition. It still has the Certi-Card. All insured, taxed and ready to rumble. It's in no means perfect shape but it is a very nice example as I have looked at loads of cars the last few years and this car seems good and honest - unless someone here tells me otherwise! :lol:

The not so good :? I know a car like this requires maintaining and it comes with a few teething problems. Nothing serious but they need sorting none the less. Rocker cover has a slight leak - easy fix, trans cooler line has a slight leak - easy fix, brakes are drums all round and as much as they work they will be replaced for servo assisted discs up front. Desperately needs a carpet but only for aesthetics. The main teething problem is that when its warm it stalls when slowing to a stop when in drive unless you pedal the throttle slightly. This is my first job to sort as everything else I can live with. I'll go with all the simple checks before reaching too far into my tool box.

My question is where do you guys go for parts original and new? Over the years I have always bought from the likes of Summit and had parts shipped over but the exchange rate was good then, in fact I remember is being over 2$ to the pound at one time!
Is there anyone who stocks parts or has them shipped into the UK at a price more favorable than Summit (and their pricey shipping costs)?

1st on my purchase list are:
- Tyres - I know where to get these
- Interior carpet
- Front vacuum disc brake conversion
- Possibly EFI as the price of these kits has reduced massively and I've
messed around with carbs for long enough to warrant wanting to try something new.

It's a car for myself and family to enjoy and I'm hoping to not get too carried away modifying it. I just want it to be a reliable fun car for the odd show, weekend trip and weeknight trip for ice cream with the kids when the suns out.

Anyhow, that's enough of my rambling. I'll have a nose around the site and use the search function to see if I can find answers to my initial questions. Failing that I'll post my questions in the relevant forum.

All the best,

Lee

I'll post some pictures when I suss out how to as the add attachment isn't working for me right now.
toppers33

Post by toppers33 »

Still working on pictures....Sorted.
Attachments
Dodge 3.jpg
Dodge 3.jpg (217.31 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Dodge 2.jpg
Dodge 2.jpg (166.42 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Dodge 1.jpg
Dodge 1.jpg (113.86 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Cobra done.jpg
Cobra done.jpg (222.87 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi there and welcome.

Gotta love a Coronet.

I tend to spend a lot of time working on Cobras these days, not for the "big footed"

Pete (size 12) Wiseman
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
terryr

Post by terryr »

superb :thumbright:
SJH

Post by SJH »

Welcome, great car. I use Rock Auto in the US for most parts. There is usually a discount code in the traders section

cheers
Shayne
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Hello and welcome nice motor :)
terryr

Post by terryr »

the stumble sounds like either a vac leak or the old favourite of incorrect float levels,,as for spares ,I use cm frost in Wellingborough for service items

love the way they have done your steels ,they are the big cap ones ,looks like they are an 8 inch ,,not available in the shops ,a lot of thought went into them ,,still miss my old 67 ,,,
Last edited by terryr on Fri Feb 24, 17 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
challenger

Post by challenger »

Pete wrote:Hi there and welcome.

Gotta love a Coronet.

I tend to spend a lot of time working on Cobras these days, not for the "big footed"

Pete (size 12) Wiseman
i can second that pete as i have this one in the workshop at present time, nice coronet by the way
Attachments
lee cobra.jpg
lee cobra.jpg (184.3 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
keep it mopar !
toppers33

Post by toppers33 »

Thanks for the welcome folks. I've spent the evening looking at parts from the states and have a wish list cost that probably exceeds the value of the car :lol: :lol: I'll check out the traders section.

Cheers,
Lee
terryr

Post by terryr »

my old one
Attachments
10568933_923793540981068_660657468257407058_n.jpg
10568933_923793540981068_660657468257407058_n.jpg (108.94 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
Charger

Post by Charger »

hello there :hello2:, great looking car 8-)
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
Charger

Post by Charger »

new parts; try Mark at WASP call; 01354 610333 | email; w-a-s-p@btconnect.com | web; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/waspspeedshop
Si
1970 Charger 500

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

Charger

Post by Charger »

used parts; try Duncan Watts (Cannonball on here), as well as transmissions Dunc has an Aladdin's Cave of used parts ... http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41492
Si
1970 Charger 500

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Welcome to the Forum Lee,nice looking Coronet :thumbright:
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Welcome Lee.
Sure you'll enjoy that beauty :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013