Stuck/binding rear drum

Moderator: Moderators

freighdog

Stuck/binding rear drum

Post by freighdog »

I have just replaced the the shoes on the rear of my '67 Dart, all going well until I bolt the right wheel back on and then it's stuck fast. The left one is fine, turning freely.
The drum turns fine without the wheel, and both the adjuster and handbrake are backed right off. I'm thinking the the edge of the shoe is binding against the inside of the drum. There are some tabs on the sides which I think might be causing the problem (shown in pic).

I've tried filing them down a bit, but I don't know how much I would need to take off before the drum frees up or there's no shoe left!

Any ideas??

As an aside, the drums are redrilled from 5x4" to 5x4.5" for better wheel choice, supposedly! Only problem is I can't find new drums that fit. The brakes are 10"x1.3/4". Does anyone know of an interchange part that would fit?
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

I knw its really obvious a question. But are the shoes fitted 10 x 2 as that is quite a common fitment I believe?
Are the shoes the right way round? There is a front and back edge to these shoes.

Only binding I had was after driving and that was because the adjusters are handed left/right and I unknowingly had two right hand versions which led to one adjuster constantly going tight. But this doesn't seem to be your issue.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

are the springs holding the shoes tight to the back plate

i found if i used orginal cone springs they were not strong enough

i ended up using post 73 cup washer spring and pin mounting kit.

those tabs allow the shoe to run on the back plate

if you shoes have them only on one side then you have them in back to front or on the wrong side

if they have them on both sides are you sure you have the correct shoes

brake drums were 2 inch or 2.5 inch wide

the shoes were as well

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
freighdog

Post by freighdog »

Thanks for your help, I re-checked the pads and it did appear the old ones were handed. So I checked the new ones...nope exactly the same. Checked the old ones again...ah...not exactly 'handed', more 'ground down'.
It would appear that the backing plate has been bent at some point, making the top edge of the front shoe contacts the drum.
My only option is to 'modify' the shoe to fit and let them settle in with some driving. It's back in for its MOT retest next week, so hopefully it will be ok.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i'd be more inclined to adjust the backing plate into position with a bottle/scissor jack and a long block of wood or some such

i.e get inventive with the garage door frame or wall as an anchor for some sidey-ways push

or Hit it..... :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying