318 Big End Shells

Moderator: Moderators

a100terry

318 Big End Shells

Post by a100terry »

Hi all
I have a 318 which was running ok, all compressions were good and oil pressure at 2000rpm was 35psi

All was well, except I had a noise at around 2000rpm - traced it to the bottom end and found that one of the crank shaft bearings (big end shell) was lightly scored. (see pic). The crank is also very lightly marked.

How bad does the crank need to be before it needs a regrind? Could I get away with simply replacing the crank shaft bearings? This is not going drag racing - it's just an old camper.

Thanks - Terry
Attachments
Mopar 3a.jpg
Mopar 3a.jpg (244.93 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Mopar 2b.jpg
Mopar 2b.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
mopar 1a.jpg
mopar 1a.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

The only way to be sure is to measure the crank journal with a micrometer, it looks like the bearing is back to the copper so it is well worn. You might get away with a clean up with fine emery cloth & new bearings but you should also check the big end of the rod for being out of round.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
Pete

Post by Pete »

The shell looks in very poor condition - is that a groove cut in it by debris? I cannot really tell.

As Rob says, you can only ever tell by careful measurement.

You may be able to :"Get away with it" with just new main and big end shells, but my first thoughts are that it needs a full rebuild.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

You might get away with it, if you run your nail across the crank and it dosn't get caught on any of the grooves I'd risk just changing the bearings.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Carl

Post by Carl »

I would have it polished takes very little off, and get it checked to see if it is still in its tolerances, as the engine is out you have nothing to lose as the crank will be coming out for main bearings to be replaced anyway, you will gain peace of mind though. Might be a good idea to change the timing chain if its a bit on the lose side too.
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
billybob73

Post by billybob73 »

i have a 318 that was built but has a cracked block , the crank was fine could pull it out of motor if you needed it 8-)
life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get next
a100terry

Post by a100terry »

Hi again all
Thanks for all your advice - very much appreciated. The shell I took out (see picc) has not got a +10 or +20 on it. I am taking it for granted that the crank has not been reground? I am therefore going to order standard size shells. Is this correct?
Terry
Attachments
mopar 4d.jpg
mopar 4d.jpg (199 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Should be standard, the only way to know for sure is to measure.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Blue wrote:You might get away with it, if you run your nail across the crank and it dosn't get caught on any of the grooves I'd risk just changing the bearings.
With blue on this one, you could tear the whole thing to bits, find a load of stuff that's close to tolerance & end up rebuilding the whole shebang...

or...

Bung a new shell in & give it a go.

Know what I'd do, especially it being a 318 in an A100/108 , I can relate to that ;)
Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

I'd generally go for a replacing the shells, but that crank looks scored to me. I'd do it right once.
Last edited by MilesnMiles on Tue Mar 28, 17 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattH

Post by MattH »

I had a noise, stripped all the bearings out, replaced them and found it was a cracked flex plate, so nothing to do with bearings at all!!

They do look a bit worn, so if it was me, i'd chuck a new set in after cleaning it a bit and see how you go. £30 for bearings is much better than engine out rebuild.

Check that flex plate though!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

MattH wrote:I had a noise, stripped all the bearings out, replaced them and found it was a cracked flex plate, so nothing to do with bearings at all!!

They do look a bit worn, so if it was me, i'd chuck a new set in after cleaning it a bit and see how you go. £30 for bearings is much better than engine out rebuild.

Check that flex plate though!
I'm with that. Clean it all up and chuck some new shells in. See what happens. Its not like they're built to tight tolerances to begin with, and like you say, its performing light duty in a camper.
I'd give the crank a go over with some emery cloth beforehand though, to see how bad the scoring is.
"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
a100terry

Post by a100terry »

Thanks all. Am going with the put some new shells in and see what happens advice. Any thoughts on what, if anything to coat the new shell surface with? The older books say to use fresh clean engine oil.
Carl

Post by Carl »

a100terry wrote:Thanks all. Am going with the put some new shells in and see what happens advice. Any thoughts on what, if anything to coat the new shell surface with? The older books say to use fresh clean engine oil.
You can but i prefere to use a good engine assembly lub such as this its much thicker and stickier..Clevite 77

Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead: