Fast & Furious 8

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

I think we should be grateful in some ways that the movie industry is keeping Muscle cars in the the frame and still making them cool.
I'm sure there wouldn't have been the enthusiasm for the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger reboots without the Hollywood connection..
You don't have to like the replicas and the custom stuff, but that exposure helps keep the cars alive. If they'd all just faded into insignificance, there'd be far fewer left now. And aren't owners clubs always droning on about about wanting younger members to get involved in the hobby?

If you want to sit there reliving the glory days with the original Gone in Sixty Seconds, then thats fine, but quit being grumpy old men and be thankful that Hollywood still thinks your cars are cool.

There are movies out there that are less silly, give Highwaymen a try for instance, for some more grounded Mopar entertainment.
"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
Carl

Post by Carl »

octanejunkie wrote:I think we should be grateful in some ways that the movie industry is keeping Muscle cars in the the frame and still making them cool.
I'm sure there wouldn't have been the enthusiasm for the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger reboots without the Hollywood connection..
You don't have to like the replicas and the custom stuff, but that exposure helps keep the cars alive. If they'd all just faded into insignificance, there'd be far fewer left now. And aren't owners clubs always droning on about about wanting younger members to get involved in the hobby?

If you want to sit there reliving the glory days with the original Gone in Sixty Seconds, then thats fine, but quit being grumpy old men and be thankful that Hollywood still thinks your cars are cool.

There are movies out there that are less silly, give Highwaymen a try for instance, for some more grounded Mopar entertainment.
You miss the point, im not knocking the cars, and yes it is good to see the muscle era still very much in peoples minds, im knocking the fake CGI stunts compared to the real stunts and action in the films made in that era, im sorry but I just cannot sit and watch a film that the stunts and action is so fake and in some cases phyisically impossible, it just does not compute, having said that they appeal to some people which is fine if thats what they like.
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
Blue

Post by Blue »

If these kinds of films gets the younger generation interested in our hobby then that's a good thing. Still don't want to watch them though :lol:
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Gas for GOSH

Post by Gas for GOSH »

I certainly prefer the look of car films pre CGI - so Vanishing Point, Bullitt etc but F & F 4 and 5 I found very watchable. The franchise thing got way too stupid and OTT with 6 & 7 parachuting cars out of aircraft; when I saw the poster of the submarine for 8 I just decided to spend two hours putting a chest of drawers together with some decent music on.
"Now some guys they just give up living - start dieing little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racing in the streets...." Bruce Springsteen
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

We dont go to the movies to much ,but the wife and I always go see the openers (this year the local challenger club rented an entire theater) ,and yes pure stupidity,and dumb acting,and just overall a moronic tale that never ends ,yes I laugh though the whole movie, getting stares from the serious crowd, but it does amaze me how much interest this sequel seems to get bigger and bigger, even though it is really the dumbest car movie out there, we just go for the cars.....rofl :D
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

octanejunkie wrote:I think we should be grateful in some ways that the movie industry is keeping Muscle cars in the the frame and still making them cool.

The Mustang wasn't rebooted. It never went away.
Dodge This, Cat That

octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

I would much rather they be practical stunts rather than cgi as well. Apparently Need For Speed was all done with no cgi, and the Dukes Of Hazzard movie.
My movie collection features everything from The 70's greats, right up till the Fast And Furious movies. I like the grittiness of the old stuff but equally enjoy the spectacle of the new stuff.
If it's got roaring v8's in it then I'll give it a whirl.
Apart from the Gone In Sixty Seconds remake. Utterly terrible. I hated it. I have a slightly irrational hatred of Nicholas Cage which doesn't help.
I believe a remake of Smokey And The Bandit is on the cards....
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Sandy wrote:
The Mustang wasn't rebooted. It never went away.

I stand corrected. I meant the "retro" reboot
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

In fairness, it's not just the viewing public that have a dislike for CGI, the stunt men and women also complain about it. Even they'd prefer to drive, jump and roll a real car ( among many other stunts ). Sadly health & safety as well as rising insurance costs has put a stop to a lot of the action in an action movie.
In a world where everybody wants to make as much money as possible for as little outlay as possible, CGI, green screen, shells of cars on hydraulic platforms and even miniatures filmed at the right angle all make it possible.

Even if the viewing public, the actors and even the stunt people aren't that keen on CGI, it's here to stay, sadly.

The opening scenes in FnF 8 though, real or not, what a ride :D
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
JinxJay

Post by JinxJay »

well the fast and furious arena show is coming soon,
that will have great stunt scenes recreated from the movies.
no CGI will have yanks as well as jap cars.

if you like the movies, this should be good....