Help please!

Moderator: Moderators

rossk

Help please!

Post by rossk »

Hi,

Recently I've upgraded all my front suspension which has included getting rid of the K frame and steering box and converting to a rack & pinion steering rack.

From what I can tell the steering box held the steering shaft at a certain angle when heading up into the column and through the bulk head.

Now that's been removed and the new kit is installed I have nothing to hold the shaft in place within the column. The rack and pinion was from flaming river and was actually for 79-93 Mustang so the rigid plastic grommet they supplied was unfortunately the wrong size.

I've contacted them and they don't supply anything to fit my original column and it would involve me buying a complete new column off them to make it work.

From what I can see I just need a rigid plastic grommet to slide over the shaft and up inside the end of the column to hold it all in place, I can then for safety drill through the column into the grommet and secure it with a screw.

anyone know where I can get one, or anyone who makes plastic components to size.

I've attached a picture to help explain what I mean.

Ross
Attachments
Steering column
Steering column
IMG_2777.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

This might be an option
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/thr ... er.228103/

There is a nylon spacer thingy which is what I think you're looking for. There is what the yanks call an 'aged' version which is in two halfs and can be fitted to the column in situ

I saw it listed last week, il try to find the link.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

rossk

Post by rossk »

thanks for the links, the build thread is really useful and it's exactly what I'm looking for but unfortunately I have a column shift so if I cut the column back to be able to insert that size bearing I will cause problems with the gear selector.

I need that type of bearing but with smaller dimensions, I'm just searching websites now to try and find a company that would make them as they appear to be really strange sizes!
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Don't forget though, that the column type just has a plastic bushing (albeit an $80 one :shock: ) as no bearing was originally fitted. The only bearing as such on my column set up is the small one in the headstock.
rossk

Post by rossk »

Hi

yes I may have no option other than getting that, but I need to contact them to check the dimensions!
LONGSHOT

bush

Post by LONGSHOT »

give me a call- my mates dad in park street would be able to lathe something up for you.
you should have my number from chat at old warden.
cheers
Dave
one day your life will flash before your eyes....
just make sure its worth watching.
dave" longshot" long
rossk

Post by rossk »

Hi Dave

Thanks I've kind of got around it at the moment, albeit a temp solution but it appears to be working!

Are you at the show in Croxley green on Sunday?
LONGSHOT

show

Post by LONGSHOT »

sorry ,only just seen reply -I was at hotrod drags(blimey that's a run on 4.10 gears :lol: )

will be at sywell pistons and props this weekend if you are going.
good day out.
cheers
one day your life will flash before your eyes....
just make sure its worth watching.
dave" longshot" long
Pete

Post by Pete »

"Anton" on here made some adapters up that have "Proper" bearings in them that go into the Outer of the Steering column.

One thing I found was that often the Steering inner shafts are not straight.

You don't notice this with the Mickey Mouse factory bearings, but the minute you have positive location top and bottom, it will bind the steering up. Worth checking to see if the column shaft is eccentric - I learned the hard way!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
rossk

Post by rossk »

Hi Dave, no unfortunately can't make this weekend.

Pete, I followed the links MilesnMiles added on this thread and ordered one of the bearings, I've done a temp fix for the moment but will install the bearing over the winter.

cheers Ross