Mating a Ford T5 Box to 318LA ?

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Mating a Ford T5 Box to 318LA ?

Post by TIB3300 »

Well I've not been here 10 minuets and its my first help post 8-[

I intend to mate a 69 318La to a Ford T5 box. Has this been covered before on here? :read2: I know you can buy an adapter kit, but what I would like to do is mate the dodge bellhousing to the Ford box :thumbright:
Cheers
MilesnMiles

Re: Mating a Ford T5 Box to 318LA ?

Post by MilesnMiles »

Can't help I'm afraid, but what's the project? Bellhousing will be the issue I'm sure. Some have converted later Mopar manual trans in the states, but it seems a lot of work.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Is it worth checking if a Viper Manual box will mate to an "LA" Engine block face?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I'm currently collecting parts.

Jeep bellhousing? i think there was a cross over where jeeps had magnum engines and t5 boxes with 4x4
Or a quicktime bell,
or buy bits from castlemaine rod shop or dellow conversions in Oz
both do bellhousings

or use a 318 housing with an adaptor

Get a mustang box with a long input, either post 94 or the 2000-2004 box (rossfassion a US ebay seller always has one up for sale. he's based in florida an hour from STS imports pick up point ( run by a club member and importer of precious things).
Ross charges between $300 and $400 a t5 out of a fox or later mustang. Then ask ron fenton (on this board) STS imports to bring it in for ya ask me for a link if you want one

the late ford box has a proper synchro on 5th and reverse brake earlier boxes don't.
late ford box got the alloy gears used in the ford racing box

get a ford mustang pilot bearing and a dodge dakota pilot bearing
push the ford roller out of the carrier
push the dodge roller out of the carrier
put the ford roller in the dodge carrier
stick it in the register where the snout of the converter on a auto trans car would go.
this give you some leeway on the positioning of the box, and the thickness of your adapter plate, as you now support the input shaft 1/2 - 1 inch further back than the bush in the crank snout

the 2000-2004 box only has an electronic speedo pick up, thats the problem with them but they are a 300 ftlb box

and the stick position is in the 3/4 back on all mustangs

if that doesn't suit

contact Austrans in Australia, +61 269336888 speak to john Wilcox, work out the dimensions you want for stick position and choose an aussie ford or holden tail housing.
have 3 choices
5/8 the way back stick poisition
totally back stick position
or overhang the back stick position

all aussie BTR built T5s use the ford pattern shifter gate/box.
all aussie BTR built boxes had a different pitch to the gears so you can't mix and match parts with gears machined into them

you'd probably want the.....
tail housing with the rear position stick from a holden
a set of aussie speed gears (they run backwards as the cable goes in the other side)
shift rod applicable to your shifter position
and a combo speedo cable

you will need to pull the tailhousing
you will find the speedo gear section of the output shaft is still there but not used

buy a split collar
drill a hole through it
clamp it onto the section for the speedo gear and use it as a fixture to drill the small hole necessary for the speedo gear clip.
i have a picture at home that shows where it needs to be.

clutch plate
US ford mustang 10.5 inch and 11 inch
aussie ford 10 inch...
10 spline

clutch throwout bearings
jeep, dodge dakota, or big block 440/ hemi all are reported to fit. i haven't got one yet to prove.

if you are going to put it in a mopar
you will need to either cut out the top of the cross member loop or cut out the shift rod, and kink it down under the cross member with some heath robinson back yard tail shaft surgery
I haven't got this far yet. but am considering the latter

The other option is a chevy s10 housing, this has the full forward stick position and brings with it its own problems with the speedo. but the main one is cost.

used to fit t5s into volvos saabs TVRs many many hot rods and a host of other cars. Everyone who has one knows this and consequently charges $300-$400 for a housing worth $80.

another option is a sierra tail housing. but the cosworth tax gets in the way of that, and the housing needs machining to the reverse idler/brake support web to take the spigot on the centre of the reverse brake. you could do it with a dremmel.

uses normal speedo drive in the right place has rear most shifter but i think uses chevy style square box shifter (i might be wrong)

i have not worked out the rear mount yet, A post 73 A body spool mount looks viable, with a dropped mounting point on the bolt in cross bar

tail shaft.
ford yokes come it two lengths the long one can be used if your tailshaft dimensions are close but a little too short

you can get a conversion UJ for small dodge to small ford small dodge to big ford and big dodge to both as well.
yoke seal is yoke specific. the housing is same on all. ford yoke fit ford seal

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Thanks I will parooze them :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Pete wrote: Tue Oct 31, 17 8:17 am Is it worth checking if a Viper Manual box will mate to an "LA" Engine block face?
Thank you Sir!! :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

TIB3300 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 17 7:11 pm
Pete wrote: Tue Oct 31, 17 8:17 am Is it worth checking if a Viper Manual box will mate to an "LA" Engine block face?
Thank you Sir!! :thumbright:
Will check
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Dave999 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 17 9:25 am I'm currently collecting parts.

Jeep bellhousing? i think there was a cross over where jeeps had magnum engines and t5 boxes with 4x4
Or a quicktime bell,
or buy bits from castlemaine rod shop or dellow conversions in Oz
both do bellhousings

or use a 318 housing with an adaptor

Get a mustang box with a long input, either post 94 or the 2000-2004 box (rossfassion a US ebay seller always has one up for sale. he's based in florida an hour from STS imports pick up point ( run by a club member and importer of precious things).
Ross charges between $300 and $400 a t5 out of a fox or later mustang. Then ask ron fenton (on this board) STS imports to bring it in for ya ask me for a link if you want one

the late ford box has a proper synchro on 5th and reverse brake earlier boxes don't.
late ford box got the alloy gears used in the ford racing box

get a ford mustang pilot bearing and a dodge dakota pilot bearing
push the ford roller out of the carrier
push the dodge roller out of the carrier
put the ford roller in the dodge carrier
stick it in the register where the snout of the converter on a auto trans car would go.
this give you some leeway on the positioning of the box, and the thickness of your adapter plate, as you now support the input shaft 1/2 - 1 inch further back than the bush in the crank snout

the 2000-2004 box only has an electronic speedo pick up, thats the problem with them but they are a 300 ftlb box

and the stick position is in the 3/4 back on all mustangs

if that doesn't suit

contact Austrans in Australia, +61 269336888 speak to john Wilcox, work out the dimensions you want for stick position and choose an aussie ford or holden tail housing.
have 3 choices
5/8 the way back stick poisition
totally back stick position
or overhang the back stick position

all aussie BTR built T5s use the ford pattern shifter gate/box.
all aussie BTR built boxes had a different pitch to the gears so you can't mix and match parts with gears machined into them

you'd probably want the.....
tail housing with the rear position stick from a holden
a set of aussie speed gears (they run backwards as the cable goes in the other side)
shift rod applicable to your shifter position
and a combo speedo cable

you will need to pull the tailhousing
you will find the speedo gear section of the output shaft is still there but not used

buy a split collar
drill a hole through it
clamp it onto the section for the speedo gear and use it as a fixture to drill the small hole necessary for the speedo gear clip.
i have a picture at home that shows where it needs to be.

clutch plate
US ford mustang 10.5 inch and 11 inch
aussie ford 10 inch...
10 spline

clutch throwout bearings
jeep, dodge dakota, or big block 440/ hemi all are reported to fit. i haven't got one yet to prove.

if you are going to put it in a mopar
you will need to either cut out the top of the cross member loop or cut out the shift rod, and kink it down under the cross member with some heath robinson back yard tail shaft surgery
I haven't got this far yet. but am considering the latter

The other option is a chevy s10 housing, this has the full forward stick position and brings with it its own problems with the speedo. but the main one is cost.

used to fit t5s into volvos saabs TVRs many many hot rods and a host of other cars. Everyone who has one knows this and consequently charges $300-$400 for a housing worth $80.

another option is a sierra tail housing. but the cosworth tax gets in the way of that, and the housing needs machining to the reverse idler/brake support web to take the spigot on the centre of the reverse brake. you could do it with a dremmel.

uses normal speedo drive in the right place has rear most shifter but i think uses chevy style square box shifter (i might be wrong)

i have not worked out the rear mount yet, A post 73 A body spool mount looks viable, with a dropped mounting point on the bolt in cross bar

tail shaft.
ford yokes come it two lengths the long one can be used if your tailshaft dimensions are close but a little too short

you can get a conversion UJ for small dodge to small ford small dodge to big ford and big dodge to both as well.
yoke seal is yoke specific. the housing is same on all. ford yoke fit ford seal

Dave

WOW!! Dave thank you :salute:

I do hope you copied and pasted most of that :?

I do already have the engine a 1969 318LA and the doner car a 1999 Mustang, as the Mustang rear axle mounts the same as the cortina :occasion5:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ah going in a cortina

the mustang stick position may well be ok its similar to the type E i think

anyway

if you get stuck on the T5 front

aussie fords used a borg warner TR4 single rail 4 speed behind some of the small V8s

and Chrylser used a TR4 single rail behind 6 cylinders and v8s

i.e a chrysler bellhousing for a rhd aussie mopar 318 might be useful and it would of course bolt up to the TR4 speed single rail

the other axle option is an aussie ford cortina Borg warner M76 or M78. fits right in with ford brakes and comes in LSD from the factory.

i.e was designed to be there

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Again cheers :thumbright: