727 Rebuild Options

Moderator: Moderators

polosteve

727 Rebuild Options

Post by polosteve »

Hi all,

My A100's 727 works fine it did about 1500 miles last year trouble free, I change the filter and there were no obvious problems.

However it is weeping fluid out of every hole possible:

1. Speedo cable
2. At the prop (is that even possible?)
3. Selector shaft seal (For the 3rd time - I must be doing something wrong...)
4. Some on the nuts at the rear
5. At the big 'rod' at the rear

The trans is the last 'unknown' part of the van, I may take it out for a rebuild this spring - Either way I have to do something before the summer...

1. Who would you recommend to rebuild a stock 727? (Being in the South/southwest would be good but not essential.)

2. How much should I 'expect' to pay?

Many thanks,

Steve
db

Re: 727 Rebuild Options

Post by db »

If it's stood for any great length of time during it's life, seals and cork gaskets harden then when you use it again it's suddenly hot and pressurised and every damn thing will leak!
1. The speedo is an O ring- easily available at a half-decent motor factors.
2. The prop seal is a favourite for leaks- about £15 delivered from Real Steel, WASP, etc. (Just in case you've not done one before... jack the rear of your van 8", stick a tub under the rear and remove your prop, you shouldn't lose much fluid. Tap the old seal out carefully with a hammer and screwy, tap the new one in even more carefully. Lube with fluid, make sure prop end is smooth and spotlessly clean and slide in carefully.
3. Is there play - is it moving around when you shift allowing fluid out? Are you sure fluid isn't getting there from somewhere else- it gets bloody everywhere!
4. See above, or replace sump gasket (thoroughly clean, flatten pan flange, de-grease, don't overtighten.)
5. See 3

I think you're looking at £5-600 plus parts for a rebuild
I always go to Dunc (Cannonball) but he's a long way from you!
No-one will believe you...
Derek

Post by Derek »

Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
polosteve

Post by polosteve »

Thanks chaps,

Paul - Would you leave it alone and fix the leaks? It does everything it should... just loads of leaking

Im pretty sure its leaking at the rear up above the pan, ill take a photo,
polosteve

Post by polosteve »

Im sure the two bolts one of which has fluid on in the photo leak and the 'rod' part in the little valley leaks... Those are the technical terms :D
db

Post by db »

If it works I'd save my money and fix the leaks, it's certainly worth a go!
Fluid goes all over the place so I'd give the whole trans a good degrease and wash down, take if for a short run and look again.
As an example, I'd replaced my prop seal and though it was leaking again. When I got under there and looked properly, it's coming from the rocker gaskets and spreading to every bit of the motor and trans!
No-one will believe you...