How should a chrysler 383 big block engine number read on the DVLA regestration ducument?

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Getawaydriver

How should a chrysler 383 big block engine number read on the DVLA regestration ducument?

Post by Getawaydriver »

Hello,
After registering my car last year the registration document came back from the DVLA with the engine number reading G383.
I did a bit of research on the internet and discovered the big block has about 4 different numbers on it in about 5 locations.
The first 2 are cast into the engine block - 3.11.71 (date engine was made) 2468130.3 (engine type)
The second 2 are stamped into the engine block - G383 (year & capacity) GP20737 (identification number)
I was just wondering how the engine number should read on the registration document so that I can get it amended.

Regards,
Phil.
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Re: How should a chrysler 383 big block engine number read on the DVLA regestration ducument?

Post by latil »

The stamped number on the block is the one GP20737.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Getawaydriver

Re: How should a chrysler 383 big block engine number read on the DVLA regestration ducument?

Post by Getawaydriver »

That's great, thanks for your answer.

Regards,
Phil.
Jim

Post by Jim »

latil wrote: Mon Apr 23, 18 8:08 am The stamped number on the block is the one GP20737.
No, this isn't right. If the engine is original to the car the serial number will be part of the VIN, e.g: 1G123456
1 is the model year (1971). G is the assembly plant (St Louis?). 123456 is the 6 digit serial number from the VIN of the car (e.g: 123456).
The engine number is stamped at the bottom of the block on the pan rail.

I guessed the assembly plant as G (St Louis)
Usual assembly plants for our cars are:
A: Lynch Road
B: Hamtramck
E: Los Angeles
G: St Louis
(there are several others)

G383 on the pad at the top of the block is the engine identification... G=1971 model year.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Ah, But I see from other posts that you have a South African (Australian made?) Dodge. In that case my post about the engine number is probably wrong. Sorry about that!