water ingress

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

TW71

water ingress

Post by TW71 »

I am trying to locate some rain water leaks, ( applies to all cars I guess) , trying to trace the leak using a hose pipe is a waste of time, but when it rains it leaks!
I suspect it maybe due to the water tension being less with the rain water?

Either that or it maybe due to when it rains its over a longer period than just standing there with a hose for several minutes?

Any ideas gratefully received! :scratch:

Thanks.
drewcrane

Re: water ingress

Post by drewcrane »

Where is it leaking? front floor,you will have to check the cowl area,under the trim,and make sure it has all the screw holes that hold the trim in are sealed, or trunk area, same thing under the trim the holes for the clips are held in by self tapping screws and those can leak too
TW71

Post by TW71 »

Hi Drew. This problem is on my 3rd Gen Trans am, it is the rear seat well which collects the water and the ps front foot well, which I think is from the cowl area. t tops have been taped over to eliminate the usual leaks . I believe its maybe where the rear hatch window meets the roof area ,maybe the seal.

I have a new carpet for it but do not want to fit it until sorted, needless to say that the car is bare inside at the moment.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

If the windscreen wipers are exposed (ie not covered by your hood), the pivot seal is often the culprit of leaks in the front foot well.
We used to get drips on from that area that worked their way down and dripped on your right foot when driving.
Bit of a pain to get to, up under the dash, but worth doing if they are suspect.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

RobTwin wrote: Mon May 14, 18 11:05 am If the windscreen wipers are exposed (ie not covered by your hood), the pivot seal is often the culprit of leaks in the front foot well.
We used to get drips on from that area that worked their way down and dripped on your right foot when driving.
Bit of a pain to get to, up under the dash, but worth doing if they are suspect.
Yep....This seems to be the common one for the front footwells being wet/damp!
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Dave81 wrote: Mon May 14, 18 12:53 pm
RobTwin wrote: Mon May 14, 18 11:05 am If the windscreen wipers are exposed (ie not covered by your hood), the pivot seal is often the culprit of leaks in the front foot well.
Yep....This seems to be the common one for the front footwells being wet/damp!
Let the search begin... :banghead:
TW71

Post by TW71 »

I know the seals need doing on the Plymouth, must get around to that, I have not checked them on the Pontiac yet, not sure if they are the same?

The back seat floor pans are the main problem.

Why doesn't a hose pipe / spray show it up though?

Thanks guys

Tim
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

TW71 wrote: Mon May 14, 18 6:00 pm I know the seals need doing on the Plymouth, must get around to that, I have not checked them on the Pontiac yet, not sure if they are the same?

The back seat floor pans are the main problem.

Why doesn't a hose pipe / spray show it up though?

Thanks guys

Tim
Remember water follows the least path of resistance, you maybe be hitting the hole with pressure, but it is the trickle down perhaps some where, maybe use some dye in the water :-k
TW71

Post by TW71 »

Thanks Drew.

I think I will have to wait until it rains heavy (shouldn't be long!) and get in it!
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

We have a 3rd gen Camaro that was suffering from wet floor pans on the passenger side. Checking under the bonnet revealed that someone previously had tried to seal around the bulkhead connector with household sealant that sets hard. Thought that’s where the leak was coming from as it’s all cracked. Actually turned out to be the heater matrix though, ( common problem apparently ). I’ve bypassed it for now until I can get a matrix for it, but it’s all dried out now, even the rear footwell. Even after standing outside in the rain, it’s still dry., so it must have been the matrix all along.
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
TW71

Post by TW71 »

Thanks for that.

Yes I have heard of the matrix being the problem.

I think its possible the rear rubber seal around the window hatch may be the problem, I need to put some sort of tracer on it and see if there are any places its not sealing by looking if its left any tracer on the glass after closing and opening and having a look :-k