Am thinking of moving on

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Carl

Re: Am thinking of moving on

Post by Carl »

Dave81 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 18 10:29 am Id keep the RR but then im biased.
Id certainly not drop it for an MG V8. Like others have said its up to you.

As an ex TVR owner its a great shout for a sideways move from your Mopar. It has the American brutish charm with a bit of English engineering involved.

You could probably get an ex racing Tuscan for mid teens if you just want to race. If you want road going then worlds your oyster.

Thought about doing a Yank race car?
Id go Ford or Chevy due to parts ££.
Mustang racer sounds good to me or a Falcon. Mustang parts being easily attainable.

As they say on the game show 'The choice is yours'! :thumbright:
"Id certainly not drop it for an MG V8" This is my dilemma, I really want to get into racing but the RR is a bit impractical I love the RR but dont do anything with it apart from driving up and down Southend sea front now and then but feel good doing it I must admit. Drag racing doesnt really do it for me to be honest. I love the classic british and european sports cars and the MGB GT V8 ticks all the boxes in my budget an E type would be my ultimate car esp the light weight but i'll never own one.

To get the RR up to racing spec would mean lots of ££ spent on it.
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Carl wrote: Fri Jun 29, 18 2:18 pm
Hi Jon More ideas to consider now lol, other than circuit racing the sprinting would be a consideration. Your obviously an MG V8 fan too so you may be hearing from me, I have thought about doing the V8 conversion as factory V8s are fetching high prices now and ready made Race cars dont come up for sale that often, so the V8 conversion may be an option.

Yes I plan to go and watch a few races and have looked at all the different formulae, my mate is a huge BMW fan and plans to do the BMW 330 challenge which is probably the only one I wouldnt do as im not a BMW fan, I will probably stick with the MGB as I love em.
Hi Carl,

Factory V8's are little more than a bit of this 'n that from the BL parts bin, mate so converting one to factory spec isn't difficult. Believe it or not, the '76 / 77 version of the MGB 1800 shell is only 1 bracket different to a factory rubber bumper V8 shell so it can be, if you so choose, a bolt in conversion. A lot of the bespoke factory parts are expensive and if you're planning on thrashing it they are too weak for the job anyway i.e gearbox / headers.
If you're looking at conversions the golden rule is the later the shell the easier the job. Having been there and got the tshirt I'd be happy to point out some of the "gotcha's" re: conversions that I've come accross.
If you're not a million miles away I wouldn't mind helping out with a bit of spannering on it if you decide to take on a conversion. Labour rates are in the usual beer and bacon sandwiches. ;)

Drop me a PM if / when you need to. :thumbright:
-Jon.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I can relate to your thread Carl.....

Few things for me..... Ive been thinking recently about getting out of the car scene completely. I have become a bit tired with the show scene and am not using my Polara much anymore. I go to shows and see the same cars, hear the same stories, see the same tools for sale by the same traders etc. My car is not rotting away as its stored properly but I rent storage, cannot work on it there and have no storage/ garage facilities at home since my move from a house to a flat. I spend quite a bit of time now in Scotland and am enjoying travelling again now I am retired. I have no ties that need me to be at home, no work, kids grown up, happily single/ dating without the stress I had when I was married and am craving an even simpler life than I have. You wouldn't believe how much stuff I have ebayed. Anything I don't use, need, want etc gets given to charity or sold. Its VERY liberating!!

I lay under my pals 53 Packard recently for 10 hrs replacing the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets (straight 8). I was sore the following day, aching back and neck, sore shoulders and skinned knuckles. If Im honest, I didn't really enjoy it. I would rather have gone cycling by the sea or have been in a nice pub in the middle of nowhere drinking gin or Belgian beer. I could quite easily sell my Dodge, rent my flat out and move away from 'civilisation' for a while. I switch my phone off now when I go out and leave it in my car just for emergencies. I hate what phones have done to our kids. They are obsessed with them! I saw three kids on Tuesday In a museum in Liverpool. They were all sitting on a bench together, all with heads buried in facebook or whatever, none of them talking and none of them even the slightest bit interested in the history on display in front of them. Why bother going???

Maybe Im just turning into an old git but I can see why people take a break from things for a while every now and then and re evaluate what is important to them. Good luck with whatever you decide to do in the car world Carl....cheers :thumbright:

PS... a picture of the goodlife. My camping, drinking, mackerel fishing (and eating) spot in Scotland
DSCF8101.JPG
DSCF8101.JPG (21.63 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Steve wrote: Mon Jul 30, 18 1:45 pm happily dating without the stress I had when I was married
This can be very stressful, especially if she finds out :D
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Steve

Post by Steve »

Tell me about it ...ha ha!

I definitely wont ever get married again and I definitely will never live with anyone again. The feeling of security in owning my own place that no solicitor can ever take off me again, coupled with the fact I will always have my own bed to sleep in is overwhelmingly powerful. Having had that T shirt, I have no plans to ever wear it again!! :D :D :D :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

I may even get a cat and take up knitting instead of driving my Polara \:D/ \:D/