DVLA say my vehicle needs examining

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

David Murray

DVLA say my vehicle needs examining

Post by David Murray »

Hi everyone, would appreciate some advice on an issue I've encountered with getting my latest import registered..

So, over the past few years I've imported 8 cars from the US and registered 7 with the DVLA with zero issues. But, I've just tried to register my 72 Lincoln Mark IV (had it over here for 2 years but needed some work) and have had a reply saying....

"Before we can consider issuing a vehicle registration certificate (V5C) your vehicle must be examined to confirm that our record is correct. Your vehicle will need to be examined by SGS...." Goes on to say about how to contact them and also states that if I need to take the car to them then it either has to be taxed and insured or transported there...so obviously the latter as I can't get it taxed without it being registered!

The only difference this time around is that i didn't get an MOT because it doesn't need one. Instead I completed an MOT exemption form and enclosed that with the V55/5 and where it asks for the license plate number I just said wrote in there along the lines of 'to be provided by DVLA.

Is an inspection by SGS (or other inspection agencies) a standard procedure now? If I had gone for an MOT and presented the certificate would this still have happened? If having an MOT would have prevented this then my inclination would be to contact DVLA and ask if I can do that instead...a lot easier in my view. The only other thing I can think of is that where it asks on the form for first date of registration I put 01/01/72 and maybe they want to be sure it is a 72, but I always do that as I never have known that info and I guess few of us ever would.....and they have never queried this before. If this is the issue then thought they would have justy said so and asked me to supply proof or get a report, which I know I can get via the club. So, probably this isn't the issue.

Grateful for any advice on this please.

Cheers
David
66 Dodge Polara.
Cannonball

Re: DVLA say my vehicle needs examining

Post by Cannonball »

PROBABLY JUST RANDOM THAT THEY PULLED YOURS, THEY DO THIS,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
David Murray

Post by David Murray »

Cheers Duncan, didn't realise they did that. just bad luck then...or possibly good luck none of my previous ones were selected!
66 Dodge Polara.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

I’ve been through this three times now. I think virtually all vehicles coming into the country have to be inspected before DVLA will issue a V5. However my experience is that an SGS inspector comes to the house and examines the car. He is looking to see if the vehicle has been significantly modified - chassis, suspension, steering, brakes and engine to see if the car does not fall below the 8 point rule (check DVLA website)

He will photograph engine bay, rear axle, dash, floor pan (lift carpet in my case) and the car from every angle. He then does his report and sends it to DVLA for their decision. The car must be roadworthy but not to MOT standard. I think it doesn’t matter if you MOT first they still want to ensure you are registering what you say you are and not a hugely modified beast.

This started because people were registering hugely modified cars as standard when the pre-60 MOT exemptions came in.

If your car is not modified - no problem.

Hope this helps.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

Correction been through this twice not three times but already planning into my next project.
David Murray

Post by David Murray »

Thanks Dave, not really modified at all....just a couple of the usual tweaks. Someone fitted a Pertronix and the original Motorcraft carb has been replaced by an Edelbrock, but that's it. Should be fine then, though I may now need to make sure all the lighting is compliant.
66 Dodge Polara.