SHOCK ABSORBERS

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

YOS79

SHOCK ABSORBERS

Post by YOS79 »

Can anyone advise which US made shock absorbers would be compatible / interchangable with the Ozzie vehicles ???

I'm assuming some of the US 'A' body cars would be possible. Eg; Hemi Performance in OZ list 'Rancho' shocks but don't show the parts numbers ( for obvious reasons)

Part numbers I have are ..... Koni's = 80-2311 + 80-2163
KYB = 344024 + 344025

Regards, YOS
Dave999

Re: SHOCK ABSORBERS

Post by Dave999 »

i just got 68 dodge dart KYB GasAjust on the cheap from RockAuto

seem to fit my charger OK 71 VH

perfectly ok not the be all and end all of shock technology but won hands down on bang for ya buck.

KYB tend to make shocks for massive quarry dumper trucks and passenger air liners. i.e the quality control should be good.

even if the technology is all a bit 1970s they kick the ass of any old worn out shock

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Ahhh, that's good news as need new ones on the CJ which I imagine has the same set up as your Charger. :)
CJ Chrysler 360
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yes all the parts are in the same place..apart from your car is longer

if you can keep the original top of front shock set up if the rubbers are still good

looks standard, the stuff that comes with the shocks has a taller rubber and a smaller domed washer

not an issue but not original

and it is easier to fit the rears if you keep them compressed with the packing straps

lift the rear end to the right position

if you take off the straps the shocks go to full length which is an inch or two longer than the max droop that you can get with the springs

you would then need decent space to get your back into the job of pushing up the shock and getting it onto the bottom stud. its not hard but life can be easier if you don't have to roll around on the floor as much

Dave
YOS79

Post by YOS79 »

Thanks again to the Wizard of Oz cars.

Just one question ... Do the KYB's you've mentioned have the same fully extended and compressed lengths (equal stroke) as our original shocks, or there-abouts ?? My only caution would be the shock not operating close to the middle of it's stroke. Too close to the compressed length may cause it to bottom out. (especially if the car has been lowered)

Cheers, YOS
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

seemed about the same

well they were about the same as the old Ranchos i took off.

Valiants had Armstrong on originally would have been matt grey with coloured bands on to show which model they were for.

your valiant is running a slightly wider version of the 1960s automatic transmission floor pan i.e your car has a 1960s dodge dart floor and chassis in all dimensions apart from the distance between the rear chassis members just a smidge wider. they wellded a fat ass onto a floor pan and tunnel they had been using since 1962

aussie cars from VH onwards run rear axles with the spring perches in the same places as a 60s B body

if you take up the carpet over the tunnel you will see a patch welded in in front of the shifter area under the dash. this is where they split the tunnel designed for a narrow mid 60s or slant 6 transmission so they could bow it out and weld in a cross shaped patch so it would fit a 904,727 aussie 4 speed single rail based trans i.e stuff a bigger converter or flywheel into a bigger bellhousing and get it to fit a tunnel that was not designed for it.

They kept to the smaller bellhousings to help as well which why every combo apart from V8 on a 727 has a unique Aussie starter.

so i think if you buy shocks for a 1968 A body like i did you will be fine

even if its a bit low

Dave