Jegs spanking

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Jegs spanking

Post by morgan »

Just a warning... I just got hammered by Jegs delivery. I mean I have brought a lot of stuff in over the years but something has gone nuts with the shipping. I mean too late now but posting it as a 'be aware'...

Small package (gearbox pan) and a few gaskets. $185 worth.
Added $120 to ship and I just got a fedex tax bill for tax/handling of £85 ! ($100)

So all in a $185 part Bananarama! $405 to land!!! I've never seen one that bad. Nothing I can do about it now but WOW... :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Pete

Re: Jegs spanking

Post by Pete »

That's strange. Customers at work always tell me how cheap the Internet is for parts.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Strangely mine do too Pete😉

Sorry to hear that Morgan.I have had the whole range of high to low when it comes to duty on imported parts,worst was the louvres for my Vandura windows,£100 for the parts and £45 duty,I feel your pain.
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

I Bought some shocks from Jegs about 2 years ago now and they arrived within 3 days, it was amazing. I Dont remember the shipping cost and import duties to be that much though.
morgan

Post by morgan »

No, Jegs are great. Used them before. But something went wonky here - I assumed the shipping was so high as they pre-paid the customes charger (like rockauto did) but apparently not. That and the low dollar rate combined to really hit hard. I was only venting... :)

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

if the import duty/tax is wrong,appeal against it and you dont have to pay the fedex handling charge,you have already paid for shipping in the US.
morgan

Post by morgan »

DaveB wrote: Tue May 28, 19 8:46 am if the import duty/tax is wrong,appeal against it and you dont have to pay the fedex handling charge,you have already paid for shipping in the US.
Oh thats interesting. I'll look into it. Double paid would explain a bit. thanks.

autofetish

Post by autofetish »

This is new :-k

I shall let you know :)
Attachments
D1DFA191-AB8D-426B-AEC1-C23C1A25BA50.jpeg
D1DFA191-AB8D-426B-AEC1-C23C1A25BA50.jpeg (115.32 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

autofetish wrote: Sat Jul 06, 19 2:32 pm This is new :-k

I shall let you know :)
Thats just email confirmation and order tracking Will. You'll still have the good ole tax on all your stuff.
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i've just had a similar scenario
$155 worth of kit
$56 postage

bill from fedex is import duty + vat and handling based on package and shipping value of £278

so i asked why that's £100+ over the actual taxable value

main invoice for customs didn't have the shipping cost on it so its my fault.... fedex know shipping cost but are not involved in the HMRC part...that happens first. shipping was marked as £00:00 product value marked as $155 on the invoice in the sticky plastic envelope

sticker on box said shipping $56 but it wasn't on the official invoice therefore HMRC ignored it and used their special formula to screw me

HMRC use a formula that appears to be based on the size of the box the mass of the box + the cost in $ of what's in the box multiplied by something random to come up with their estimation of the total value of the package and shipping on which to do import and VAT...

i.e £278 rather than the UK equivalent of 155+56 USD converted to pounds on the day it lands

i have complained that they are charging me VAT and import duty on something that has no value i.e the extra £100 of Value of the box their formula came up with.
i get 0 value from that and 20% of 0 is 0 so i'm not paying until they invoice me correctly.

i made the point that they are fining me for something i can not influence, there is no way i can make an employee of a company in a different country aware of HMRC rules and get them to fill in forms correctly to comply. The guy that packs n ships is not the guy i ordered from.....its not my fault that a supplier in the US's invoicing system doesn't use the same form for product and shipping..

its easily explained... the company i purchased from is owned by a bigger company. The company i purchased from does not pay any shipping to ship it to the parent company. The parent company doesn't sell the product, it just has a deal with Fedex for export shipping. Both applied invoice paperwork or stickers for the part they took in the transaction. HMRC can't handle 2 invoices on 1 box

hence i made the point that i also can't influence the Fedex assigned HMRC person in the coventry hub who does customs to look at both the invoice and a sticker on the box. they chose to ignore the sticker on the box...

i will loose eventually but i'm giving the complaints team something to chew on

I expect some bailiffs with a letter from the court to come to my house and take my TV at some point in the next 6 months..
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
MattH

Post by MattH »

I tend to go to a UK supplier for everything I can, might be more initially but the price is not going to have hidden bits.
USAutomotive in Bedford always good for me. Needed a Pitman Arm for the Chally very urgently (i.e. MOT fail and going to Goodwood next day). They had one on the shelf, collected same day for £45.

Might be a bit more expensive (not much, it was Moog part) but no hassle, and even got a willing son to collect on his way to work.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

I forgot all about USAutomotive Matt. Thanks for the reminder.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

So Dave a standard summit order and I got screwed

Postage was $165 and HMRC used £400 !

FedEx again

Who is at fault here ??
Attachments
7C2DE78A-A9F1-4407-89BE-593B25E35F80.jpeg
7C2DE78A-A9F1-4407-89BE-593B25E35F80.jpeg (96.96 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

HMRC

fedex don't get their hands on it until HMRC do their thing

HMRC seem to ignore shipping cost

they are supposed to use shipping cost and the value of the item combined. then do the vat and import based on UK value in £££ calculated either on the day it arrives or the day it was purchased (not sure which)
Instead they seem to ignore the shipping cost and use their formula to come up with their supposed value

fedex then slap on £10-£15 handling charge

i have another one pending

$110 CAD jeans £80 GBP

free shipping....

so the invoice shows $110 jeans $18 shipping and -$18 discount to me. i paid £110 CAD

fedex invoice for £48 they seems to have added the 2 £18 together then applied their size x weight x value x multiplier formula to come up wiith a value of over £150...... 18 -18 is 0 in my mind

£80 + £15 is 95 20% is £19 +import ====its still not £48

so i called them and opened another case.

same HMRC person listed on the form...from my other case..... i don't like her

Dave

govt site says pay then complain i'm not doing that .....
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

So looking into this I requested a commercial invoice from summit racing which doesn't have the shipping cost on it ....

So surly Summit is a fault here and all commercial invoices should contain the shipping cost ?