Valley pan issue

Moderator: Moderators

Anthony Montagnani

Valley pan issue

Post by Anthony Montagnani »

Can anyone help and advise about a recurring issue I have with the manifold valley pan on a 440 mag engine.

So couple of weeks ago,I noticed a big oil build up ontop of it and after further investigation,the valley pan itself had a crack in it so got a new one ordered from summit fitted it and was all fine but then last week,noticed again oil build up and again,the new pan had a new crack in it so thought it could just be faulty parts so ordered another one,fitted it and again,all good and no leaks.

Drove the car last night and thought I’d just check everything and AGAIN,oil has reappeared and another cracked pan! .... am I missing something simple or just bad luck on poor quality parts?
Attachments
62FC428D-4CFF-40EA-AAD9-15B16A37608D.png
62FC428D-4CFF-40EA-AAD9-15B16A37608D.png (177.31 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Derek

Re: Valley pan issue

Post by Derek »

Excessive crankcase pressure could crack that gasket gasket. do you have a breather and PCV on the valve covers
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Anthony Montagnani

I’ve got a breather filter on the right hand side and a PCV valve and pipe that goes to the inlet manifold on the left (as if your looking st it from the front)
Pete

Post by Pete »

I thought the PCV goes on the PASS Side and the Breather / Filler goes on the Drivers side....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Anthony Montagnani

That’s what I have .... valve on the pass and breather filter on the drivers side
Derek

Post by Derek »

Pete wrote: Thu Aug 15, 19 7:40 pm I thought the PCV goes on the PASS Side and the Breather / Filler goes on the Drivers side....
Pete, he's looking from the front.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Ahh! Sorry...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

I don't see how crank case pressure could crack a steel valley gasket unless its a fibre one. ( never seen a fibre one ) Just replaced mine recently and the steel ones are fairly thick. Can you post a photo of the crack ?

Rog
Started with an MGB in 2004, then built a Cobra Rep with a Chevy 383,next a Chevy Bel air with a Big Block 454 and now lastly maybe ! my 68 Charger 440 RT always work to do.
Anthony Montagnani

Here ya go rob ....
Anthony Montagnani

Won’t let me upload a picture of it so it’s roughly a 4-5 inch crack at the top end of the pan (firewall end) and it’s going downwards if that helps?
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

Anthony

Is the crack always in the same place ? A crack will start from a weak point, possibly a bolt hole. Does it start from the 3 bolt retainer plate ?
see my photo

Rog
Attachments
IMG_3053.JPG
IMG_3053.JPG (74.86 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
Started with an MGB in 2004, then built a Cobra Rep with a Chevy 383,next a Chevy Bel air with a Big Block 454 and now lastly maybe ! my 68 Charger 440 RT always work to do.
Anthony Montagnani

You see where the line is right down the centre of the pan,at the top end (firewall end),it always seems to crack just after that line on the drivers side area
Anthony Montagnani

So top right area if your looking at this picture
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

Hi Anthony

My thoughts on this,(see my sketch) can you fit the gaskets between the valley pan and heads ? The reason I ask is, I couldnt fit gaskets as my block has been decked, which in my case means the bolt holes don't line up with pan if I try to fit gaskets, because effectively both heads when fitted move downwards, slightly throwing everything out, so I rely on silicone only. If you have gaskets between the pan and heads, then maybe the gap under the pan to the 3 bolt retainers is a little excessive. If you have tightened the inlet manifold first effectively locking the valley pan in place, then when tightening the 3 bolts you could be stressing the plate, then when everything heats up you have the issue. Don't forget these 3 bolts are only torqued to about 14 ftb from memory. When you do again try tightening all the manifold bolts and the 3 bolt retainers together a little at a time,rather than in isolation if that makes sense.
Good luck.

Rog
Attachments
IMG_4087.JPG
IMG_4087.JPG (39.95 KiB) Viewed 1960 times