Dirty 72 Van

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

polosteve

Re: Dirty 72 Van

Post by polosteve »

So I have been looking for a 4 barrel to replace the old 2bbl. I want reliability hence a new carb and in the fullness of time with some headers it may release a few HP. Its only an 1850 style with a choke, so not a performance orientated carb but should be an improvement.

After some research I found out Holley sell 'refurbished' carbs on their US ebay site. Well it was about £230 all in delivered including Tax and postage to my door step. Its brand new and delivery was swift. They have a few 'refurbished' ones on there, worth checking out.

I also got a phenolic (sp?) spacer - Is it worth bothering with? I have the adaptor also for the spread bore to square bore.

Cheers,

MattH

Post by MattH »

I never even knew about different bore (spread etc) until I tried to fit a Holley to my Offy manifold and the throttle hit the manifold when opening. Phenolic spacer will potentailly reduce the risk of fuel vapourisation.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great van and love all the hard work....very cool. Ive told my better half not to get into strange vans but she just cant help herself :D :D
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
lough3969

Post by lough3969 »

MattH wrote: Tue Nov 12, 19 10:51 pm I never even knew about different bore (spread etc) until I tried to fit a Holley to my Offy manifold and the throttle hit the manifold when opening. Phenolic spacer will potentailly reduce the risk of fuel vapourisation.
Yes I agree about the spacer and vaporisation... a fuel return line to the tank will really fix it if its a problem on hot days. Anton installed one in the Dart and it works wonders in summer traffic.
Result on the carb :rr:
Pimps in the Front
Hoes in the Back
Chumps in the Trunk

68 Dart Post
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Edelbrock 2176 or similar?
-Jon.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i use phenolic spacers on my webers
Great addition

prior to that the fuel would boil usually 10-15 minutes after stopping after a real long run....enough to blow some out the trumpets right onto the hot exhaust....!

anything you can do to keep the carb the fuel and the air that flows through it cool is of benefit
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

I have always used plastic or phenolic spacers as a matter of course on low rise manifolds.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
polosteve

Post by polosteve »

Yes 2176,

I left the spacer off for now due to clearance but if I get a 2" tall air filter element I could run it, I would like to keep the heat off the carb.

Well its all together, initial test drive is good. Most noticeable difference is the aftermarket air filter housing is twice as loud as the factory snorkel in the van! Seems more responsive, I have a question on timing/ initial set up that I have popped over in the engine section.

I have to get creative with linkages (ie using angle iron as an extended linkage). The van uses a rod set up that I like for the throttle but the four barrel is different to two barrel linkage. Zero change off finding a B Van four barrel rod linkage so I just made it work.

People advised using a lokar type cable for kick down would help overall but again I like the factory rod so kept it. Not the tidiest but it all seems ok.

Got some tinkering to do, enjoyed the process so far :)

Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

I have an identical carb / intake setup on my Demon.
Made quite a noticable difference over the stock 2 barrel.
I don't think you'll need the spacer. I haven't noticed any hot start issues over the summer and it was quite warm out. Holley just seem to be better for it but the webberbrocks are a sod for hot starts. :thumbright:
-Jon.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Wow great work !!

Keep the pictures and updates coming !
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
polosteve

Post by polosteve »

Progress,

Got the new carb fitted, followed advice and got a snap on gun and FBO plate, currently 22 initial which I know is a lot. Its starting happily, not pinking and seems to run spot on once warm and off the choke. I need to look into the electric choke, runs a dog on the choke, black smoke and runs like its on 6 cylinders... runs but not well at all, you kind of rev' through it :shock:

But then the second it is off the choke is smooth and responsive and spot on, couldn't be happier with the way it runs when up to temp.

(It ran like a dog on the choke before I fitted the FBO plate, initial at 6 BTDC if that makes any difference)

Massive thanks to everyones help on the timing stuff, still adjustments to make but so far so good.

Fitted the ally covers for the better sealing, thanks to Jon (Mr M) for the aftermarket air filter housing.

Had some extra time this week..... a little bit of woodwork, stupid how much time it took but a nice little easy project -

An old vice I acquired for free.... another project with all the extra time this week...

Polished some old 10's just because

Fitted a used aftermarket anti roll bar.... test drive would suggest it has made a marginal difference, maybe more than I realise. Its a little agriculteral but it seems like an ok piece of kit.

Few months back I put a little waoyl inside the arch lips, not too much, don't like the mess.

:thumbright:
Matt

Post by Matt »

Sweet van. Very nice.
Charger

Post by Charger »

smashin van 8-)

absolutely love it

:thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

:iagree: looks great with the slots too and i don't normally like them! :shock: :D :thumbright:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Love this van, reminds me of every Kojak episode I've ever seen.

Just out of interest, what is your total advance now that the plate is in? Is it around 34 deg? Also, have you tried disconnecting the choke? I dont use one on my Polara. It caused all my cold start/ running issues

Cheers Steve
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream