Anyone fitted an auxiliary vac canister ?

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Anyone fitted an auxiliary vac canister ?

Post by morgan »

My brakes are now pretty rubbish when idle thanks to loopy-mega-psycho-cam. Fine once underway, but I'd like them back how they can be ideally. Its been suggested that I pop an extra vac can in there. There seem to be two types - one with an electric pump and one that just has the can and stores up a shot I assume.... One is five times the price of the other...

Anyone fitted one ? Did it do the trick ?
Attachments
vac.jpg
vac.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Last edited by morgan on Sun May 17, 20 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Pete

Re: Anyone fitted an auxiliary van canister ?

Post by Pete »

I put one on the '57 Ch**y and I was disappointed with the performance, and I had augmented it with a Vacuum pump too!

Brake performance remains inconsistent and you can still run your reserve of vac down, and you suddenly have a degradation of brakes - normally when you need it most!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Derek

Post by Derek »

I've fiited a couple with an electric pump at Anton's garage and had good results.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Pete

Post by Pete »

You can experiment with the bits off my Chev if you want to.... the car won't be going anywhere soon....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

morgan

Re: Anyone fitted an auxiliary vac canister ?

Post by morgan »

Thanks chaps.
Pete - That's a kind offer (as ever), but I dont want you pulling bits off cars to lend me - you've got enough to do putting stuff ON cars ! Very interested to hear that even with a pump on it (microswitched or something I assume) it still ran out of puff. The whole point of the pump is to ensure consistency. What was the make/brand ? What I am hearing is you dont particularly recommend...

Derek - Thanks. Same question - do you happen to remember than brand ? Just curious given Petes experience.

I'm taking the consensus to be 'if you are going to bother put a pump in too'.

Pete

Post by Pete »

It was not an offer lightly made.

I do not have the capacity in terms of working space, and indeed funds, to get the '57 back on the road, so it is not an issue.

I will probably end up selling it as a non-runner, though I am trying to hold on to it as it is a perfect spec (2 door Genuine Sport Coupe Belair).

IF your brakes were up to the job before the engine swap, then a reservoir and pump may work.

However, the car will be a lot quicker so you may have to consider a proportionally better brake upgrade.

Braking is NOT improved by a Servo - only the Pedal pressure and the physical input required to operate the brakes is lessened.

If it did not stop before then it will not stop better with a vacuum Reservoir...
Attachments
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG (112.77 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
s-l1600 (3).png
s-l1600 (3).png (824.11 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

MattH

Post by MattH »

Very pretty car, low headroom surprisingly, you will bang your head getting in or out.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
morgan

Post by morgan »

Pete wrote: Sun May 17, 20 10:26 pm It was not an offer lightly made.

I do not have the capacity in terms of working space, and indeed funds, to get the '57 back on the road, so it is not an issue.

I will probably end up selling it as a non-runner, though I am trying to hold on to it as it is a perfect spec (2 door Genuine Sport Coupe Belair).

IF your brakes were up to the job before the engine swap, then a reservoir and pump may work.

However, the car will be a lot quicker so you may have to consider a proportionally better brake upgrade.

Braking is NOT improved by a Servo - only the Pedal pressure and the physical input required to operate the brakes is lessened.

If it did not stop before then it will not stop better with a vacuum Reservoir...
Much appreciated. I never assumed it was an idle offer I assure you :) I will have a ponder. Thanks.

Brakes were epic before. Full wilwood kit, bigger than stock (I know you are not a fan, but I have no issue; they seem great). Car stopping not a problem - ( well, you know, the wheels stop turning. The car obviously careers onwards but with just the wheels locked now... as cars used to do... :) ). Its just part of the learning curve for me that lumpy cam means naff all vacuum and its made my idling brakes less effective. They are OK now, but I know what they SHOULD be like from before, thats all.

(ref 'alot quicker' - yes. Have used her this week and 'tested'. Holy cow. Doesnt do much until about 4K then its like falling out of a window !)

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

or go full manual, with a narrow bore master and make sure you put the brake/master cylinder rod in the correct position on the peddle lever arm
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
LurkinLimey

Post by LurkinLimey »

Had the same problem (stroker Big Block with a silly cam) and I've fitted the same vacuum can (mine was Mr Gasket branded via Amazon).
Made a real improvement for me, i.e. now streetable with 5-6 pumps on the brakes before the can recharges, as opposed to 1-2 pumps on the brakes before a hard pedal!
So I'm happy with it, but I was starting from a pretty poor baseline.
I'm running big disks on the front and drums on the back on a '68 B Body.
May not be good enough for you if you're used to really good brakng performance.
Some US forums recommend going hydraboost which I think involves running off the PS pump.
Hope this helps,
Jon