68 valiant signet 2 door

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: 68 valiant signet 2 door

Post by mygasser »

wait 'til i get the stainless steel headers then :thumbright:
i've been out playing with my lathe this afternoon and made a set of hard nylon rings to centralise the pcd adapters i bought last year. then i noticed the studs on the adapters are 12mmx1.5 so the 1/2" unf nuts i've got won't fit. i caught one of the guys at rally design though before they closed and he's bringing 20 of the right nuts home with him so i can pop round tonight and get them. result :D
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i finally bit the bullet and ordered the 2800lb ss leaf springs today from summit. i've been looking about for used spring packs i can seperate to add extra leaves into my existing ones but no luck. at least the ss ones will fit straight on and give some added stiffness which'll be handy when towing a caravan.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the leaf springs arrived today from summit, 5 1/2 days from ordering! i really ought to get started then ;)
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

my stainless headers arrived to day from ebay (in america). not quite 2 weeks via the 'global shipping program' they use so not bad. the box was ripped open one end though so the collector bolts were gone and the gaskets are all bent up. a bit of tape around the ends/corners is all it takes for boxes to stay intact, but oh no that's too hard . anyway the headers are ok and not dinged up, i'll be doing that when i'm getting them to fit . here's some pics and 1 of the ss springs now i've spent 1/2 an hour getting the shipping stickers off
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG (104.69 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG (117.38 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG (110.73 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

showed a mate the shiny headers earlier and he said where's all the bolts and did you notice the gaskets are bent and those 3 tubes look out of whack. he's right and the box they came in was split open one end, but i was so excited with my new shiny bits i didn't properly check everything. no header or collector bolts/nuts, no collector gaskets, damaged main gaskets and the o/s header appears to be bent. whether it's enough to be an issue with fitment i don't know yet. i've sent a message to the seller explaining (with pics) so i'll wait to see what they say.
neil.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I once had a box delivered from the States with the end ripped open which contained absolutely nothing...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Blue wrote: Wed Jul 29, 20 9:17 am I once had a box delivered from the States with the end ripped open which contained absolutely nothing...
i'm doing well then mate :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the header issue is resolved as the ebay seller is sending a partial refund so i can replace the missing bits myself
today i've been measuring wheels and tyres, the explorer axle and the width of the car to work out the best route to go. i measured the important sizes from the wheels and tyres, ie wheel mounting face to outside edge of tyre. i've got 8 1/2 x 15 us indy mags with 265 50 15 tyres and 10 x 15 unbranded mags with 295 50 15 tyres. they measured 6 1/2" and 8 1/4" respectively so i needed to add twice that to the axle width (wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face) to get overall width. then measure the cars width by taping a vertical straight edge to one rear arch and hold a spirit level againgst the other while measuring between the 2. for measurement purposes i'm assuming the explorer axle is 56 1/2" as i'll be using 2 short side halfshafts and cutting the casing down to suit.
the smaller mags give a total width of 69 1/2" and the larger 73". the width of the car to the outside edge of the arches is 70 1/4" so whichever wheels i use i'll be raduising the arches. i could of course get the 2 long halfshafts i have cut down shorter than short ones and mini tub the body to fit the 10's under the stock arches. choices, choices......
moving on i got the manual gearbox on the bench to have a look at the linkage and shifter which came free with it. after nearly an hour freeing up the rusted solid shifter i now need to study some pics of the setup i 'should' have and work out mounting brackets to put the shifter where it'll be comfortable and cut/remake the shift rods to suit.
here's a pic of the 8 1/2" mags and where i'm at with the shifter. oh, does anybody know what the shifter is (brand, model)?
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (131.78 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (136.48 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

looks like a stock shifter. 'Inland' I think they are called. it should have the 'T' handle for selecting reverse on the shifter itself.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

that's all i got unfortunately, i'll make the 'stick/lever' myself.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i dropped the 8 1/2's off for pcd alteration and also asked him to shave 1/2" off of the mounting face too. they're about 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" thick and i've had lots of slots that are as thin as 1/2" at the mounting face including the fronts i have for this car. i guess they cast them thick then machine them to suit the required back spacing.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i just bought a proper shifter handle with the reverse lockout for the inland shifter i have. i was going to make one but it was cheap enough so.... all the way from indiana but with the global shipping program ebay now uses getting parts from the states is getting cheaper.
neil.
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

mygasser wrote: Thu Aug 06, 20 10:37 pm with the global shipping program ebay now uses getting parts from the states is getting cheaper.
neil.
I wasn’t aware of this, is it an option you choose, how does it work ?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

mopar_mark wrote: Thu Aug 06, 20 10:47 pm
mygasser wrote: Thu Aug 06, 20 10:37 pm with the global shipping program ebay now uses getting parts from the states is getting cheaper.
neil.
I wasn’t aware of this, is it an option you choose, how does it work ?
most ebay ads on american ebay used to say does not post to the united kingdom, you just message the seller and usually they send it ok anyway. now it says international priority shipping to united kingdom on lots of the ads. my stainless headers and this shifter handle both came this way. the headers took about 10 days which is pretty good for ebay.com (american).
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

about 2-3 years ago i was asked to have a look at a T bucket a friend of a friend had bought. he wasn't happy with the front brakes and needed advice. anyway whilst there i noticed he had a spare pair of rear tyres so i asked if they were going to be used or were they for sale. he said they came with the car when he bought it and he wouldn't ever use them. we agreed a price and he said he'd give me a call when he'd dug them out from under all the other stuff there.
yesterday i got a call from my friend asking if i still wanted the tyres i'd seen a while back....... eeerrrrr, yes. which ones? once reminded i was happy and they were dropped off this morning. they are mickey thompson sportsman 29x15.5x15 so just right for my 10x15 slot mags and they look to have only covered a couple of hundred miles at most :D
now they may end up on the valiant but as i'm so decisive they might not :scratch:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0002 (3).JPG
IMG_0002 (3).JPG (143.42 KiB) Viewed 1142 times