Hot Rod Drags 18th -20th Sept

Dates, details and photos

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: Hot Rod Drags 18th -20th Sept

Post by mygasser »

latest from santa pod, copied from the nsra forum

Hi All,

Not sure if you’ve seen this yet. Another update from Santa Pod Raceway.

Pass the message on to anyone and everyone please.

Thanks,

Alan.

������ “�������� ���� ������” at the NSRA Hot Rod Drags 2020 - ������������ ��������

�������������� ����������
▪️ The Group of Six rules apply to all visitor accessible areas - Spectator Grandstand and Spectator Banking,
Bar/Catering areas, Pod Pub Garden, Café/Shop and Show & Shine area.
▪ A distance of 1 metre must be maintained between you and any other person not from the same household as you.

������������������
The maximum number of people (including children) allowed on a camping pitch is six, no exceptions. This is a legal
requirement; Santa Pod Raceway must enforce this or we will fall foul of the Local Authority. Do not expect to camp in
groups larger than six, it will not be allowed - NO EXCEPTIONS!

▪ If all members of the group are from the same household, no further restrictions within the group apply.
▪If the group of six is made up from multiple households then social distancing rules of 1 metre must apply
between the households within the group of six.
▪ Your camping pitch will be set out accordingly.
▪ Individuals from different households may not share a tent or caravan/motorhome.
▪ Please listen to the campsite marshals and be patient, placement may take a little longer due to these new rules.

The ‘New Normal’ at Santa Pod

Please take the time to read up on our NEW Covid regulated campsite and venue rules and familiarize yourself with them ahead of your visit to make your stay as enjoyable as possible for yourselves and those around you.

The GRANDSTANDS will be open with a one-way system in place to allow for social distancing. Please pay attention to markers, signage and stewards which will be clearly visible to help you navigate your way to a seat. Hand Sanitising stations will be available at the entrances to the grandstands.
A One-Way system is also in place for accessing the SPECTATOR BANK – please adhere to all signage and take any instruction given by our stewards and security.
We ask you refrain from standing or sitting on the pathway that runs across the top of the bank to allow for social distancing and clear access.
The RACE PADDOCK remains open for the public to walk around however, please DO NOT enter any pit bays and maintain social distancing from racers, crew and other visitors.
We are delighted to inform you that SHOWER facilities will be available – these will be open with increased cleaning regimes in place. Please be mindful of all signage in place and take any instruction from the Hygiene Team. (Not open on Thursday for Early Arrival.)
If you have any campsite concerns during your stay then please contact any nearby steward/member of security OR call the Security Team on 07795672170.

�������� ��������
▪ The Group of Six rule applies in the pits. The maximum number of people (including children) allowed in a pit
space is six - no exceptions. This is a legal requirement; we must enforce this or SPR will fall foul of the Local
Authority. Do not expect to pit in groups larger than six, it will not be allowed, NO EXCEPTIONS!
▪ Groups of six: If all members of the group are from the same household, no further restrictions within the group
apply. If the group of six is made up from multiple households then social distancing rules of 1 metre apply
between the households within the group of six. Where 1 metre distance cannot be kept facemasks must be worn.
���� ������ ������������ ������������ �������� ���������� ������ ���������� ������������ ���� ������ ��������!

�������� ���������� – �������������� ������ ���������� – �������� ���������� – And help keep Santa Pod safe too!
Thank you in advance – from the whole Santa Pod team.
For More Info Please Visit www.santapod.co.uk | Buy Your Tickets at www.santapodtickets.com

Pre-Booked Tickets Only – No Tickets Available On The Gate
MattH

Post by MattH »

Thanks for the update, I was worried you were going to say it's cancelled, but clearly not. Fingers crossed it will be OK.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

great weekend

all packed on Thursday

the plan was to meet in Olney at 12:30 for some lunch
slight false start when it looked like the pub might not be selling food at lunchtime..but re appraisal of their website on a proper PC (not a tiny phone stuck to the windscreen) indicated all well

on the road at 10:00 nice trundle round the M25 but discovered very quickly that recent Weber reconfiguration had endowed the car with a massive lean at exactly 2400 RPM which appears to coincide with 40 MPH in 3rd and 60 MPH in 4th meaning any section of closely controlled speed limit was Just not an enjoyable experience at all. plans made there and then for a change of air correctors to bring in the main circuit earlier.

popping along through the MK roadworks my phone is saying J 14, 6 miles
still saying that 15 minutes later as i breezed past J14 popping and farting...concentrating on the issue not the road signs

bloody hell J15 is a long way at 60 with the car backfiring into the air filters

country side blast back down to Olney for 12 :00, an extra 17 mile loop through villages with thatched cottages, easy to drive round fuelling issues on B roads.

nice spot o lunch with Phil and Blue and off to the track

into Bozeat, missed the turn off, that we have all turned off at, for the last (15-20, 30) years, tour of the whole village, bet the locals were pleased

into the pod, car breaks down on the access road, won't start. swear at it a bit, open bonnet, wiggle stuff, starts....

waved onto pitch, lets get set up in a COVID safe way...

Usual Fight between Man tent and wind
lots of extra cooking stuff this time as we had heard that the catering selection was reduced

beer and ambling about, lets go see who is here, burgers and Bar

feeling slightly Jaded the next morning....

bacon and eggs

configure exhaust from " annoying drone" to "annoying" Wasp playing a Trombone sound

off to sign on

1) poor run, ignition key clicked round to OFF mid track. 15 seconds. good to get a 15 second 1/4 with power for only 1/2 the track.... given that i used to try really hard to get that with power all the way. its done it before so no need for new pants....
total power loss and just the sound of the wind..... bemused look from chaps at the top end but thumbs up when i slow down enough to bump start it.

swap out air correctors for some 15 sizes bigger
2) better run, ignition key stayed put :) 14.01
3) they didn't record it????? or didn't find it, was ok i think. spanked a 105E with cage and its carb sticking through the bonnet. it looked the part, he even did a burnout...obviously i rarely see the finish line without there being the backend of some other car in the way..

drove back for a spot of lunch and the car stalled and failed to start.
left it parked between two caravans to think about its poor behaviour for an hour.
thanks for the push gents

seemed to be flooded
could be ignition switch.....its track record is not good.
sat and worried about it for an hour
went back disconnected electricals, reconnected and it started and i drive it back.

first things first. remove and replace the 1 piece of Chevrolet i use on my car...this issue seemed like an ignition issue, and the bit of GM tech was the most likely cause. its got a heat sink but the modules run hot and only last 5-6 years.

whacked in a new HEI module.
applied brand new fuel filter, donated to the cause by Phil, who was appalled at the orange/brown colour of the one in place...it made all the difference....

gentle excursion around the site indicated no more problems and its running well.

back in the queue for the 5 pm RWYB session...

Left the line like an arthritic badger, Ignoring Blues advice to rev it to 4K and just side step the clutch (i have to get home !!!) and managed to pull off a 13.9 YAY was met by James and Graham on the way back both bringing the good news

Happy man new PB.... i guess it could easily go faster if the person driving it knew how to drive... :)

i think that's alright for a 4 speed 6 cylinder with really not a lot done to it other than cam and compression.....

back to the tent for an evening, of fireworks, dodgems (sorry Dunc), waltzer, burgers, beer , beer , ambling about, and talking rubbish.....

super weekend

met all the usual suspects....which really is the whole point in going in the first place

filled up with rubbish 95RON (all they had) on the outskirts of Olney and wish i hadn't, car needs super and i had no octane booster in easy reach

back home for 2 pm knackerd, aching, starving, slightly desiccated, sun burnt and hung over with the beer-fear

the sign of a good weekend

and then had to clear the bedroom and re hang the bathroom door for the painters coming at 8 am Monday..... ahhhhhhhurgh

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

you had a great time then? :lol:
neil.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

13.9 is impressive! :shock: :thumbright: :salute:
What speed, Dave?
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

97.9 MPH at the line... there is very little about the other data on the timing ticket that one would particularly want to show anyone :)

i was amazed at what a difference the air fuel ratio changes made. my carbs have emulsion tubes, they provide an air fuel curve much like a distributor provides a timing curve. So I spent a good while reading David Vizzard, he has some views on this aspect of both holley and weber carbs which made a bit of sense. Did a swap to the type of tube used on the AC Cobra v8s and the small and big bock fords that ran IDAs or IDFs. Out with the factory specification F2 which leans out at low RPM, and in with tube F7 which doesn't. F7 specified for 600+ CC per cylinder. its got holes in the middle not at the top.

That and the change made this weekend nudged it from average 11.5-12.5 up further towards an average of 13-13.5 in the lower and mid RPM range 2400-3500. sound changed, car ran quieter, lift off the throttle and no popping and banging out the pipe. and it hits bang on 14 A/F with the throttle closed at speed, so i think my idle tuning of the last 6 months has also helped. lift off throttle and it doesn't feel like you put the brakes on...just keeps going.

its still a horrible 11.5 on the air fuel gauge at full throttle and and north of 4000 rpm, so that needs looking at, might let me hang onto a gear longer... a bit rich for safety is alright, but that's probably too much, i'll be making the oil a bit thin.

another 10 up on air correctors, or smaller main jet and down 15 or 20 on air corrector size, might sort that out...

its running cooler again. the webers have fixed all fuel distribution issues on the rather LONG motor, temp gauge gets to 1/4. It ran constantly at 1/2-3/4 towards the RED end, when i had the 4 barrel carb. 2 long runners. 2 short runners and 2 mid length, is no good on a long motor, the two end cylinders run lean, and the 2 in the middle run rich.

so yeah quite pleased, I've beaten, the 1972 factory race team 1/4 mile. which was always the aim... they were paid to drive and had access to new everything if they bust it...

and of course i had a new fuel filter thanks to Philith :)

Dave
MattH

Post by MattH »

Superb Dave. I did see your car in the campsite but not you, we just went for Sunday. Good event, but one day was maybe not enough. The 57 Chevy pick up got us there and back in one piece with no trans topping needed. It just drones too much and the gear shifting is not good, so trans out this winter.

A good day out, well done Santa Pod and NSRA for putting it on and keeping it safe.

Great to see so many Watts Rod Shop cars running, great stuff. :thumbright:
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Good to see you Dave and others, yes was a great weekend, the only one for me and the FISH this year.

Dave into 13..............WOW that is good =D> =D>

Great job by Santa Pod :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Yes very well done Dave very credible et, i thought it was you on the dodgems but you er looked different, my grandaughter was driving and i have never gotton so beaten about, :shock: :D
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Blue

Post by Blue »

We were all on the dodgems Dunc, I'd forgotten that already alcohol may have been involved....
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Cannonball wrote: Tue Sep 22, 20 3:30 pm Yes very well done Dave very credible et, i thought it was you on the dodgems but you er looked different, my grandaughter was driving and i have never gotton so beaten about, :shock: :D
i had my disguise on....glasses, and the Not had to go into work since march style, shave once a week beard, and as it was chilly, a daft parka...

was doing my best not to bash into you and your small driver, but got punted into you a least once, and her little head was rattling,.... as blue says a few hours of beer won't have helped

Dave
muzzydave

Post by muzzydave »

great event as norm ..felt a bit weird with no bands fri/sat night ..but we had three days of great track time ..
good meeting up with the normal crowd for a chin wag and a beer or two
roll on next year and hopefully better times ....for me and the car .. :D :D