oil leak

Moderator: Moderators

oil leak

Post by sticky »

I have an oil leak in my 318cu ins small block. it appears to be coming up the dip stick. I have checked that the pcv valves in the valve covers are working, and am now a bit lost for ideas. Anybody???
ddingley
Dave999

Re: oil leak

Post by Dave999 »

first are you sure its not running down from somewhere else? i.e rocker tin gasket

is it too full?
do you have the right dipstick? i.e does its little cap do its job, 2 bores of tube hence 2 little cap sizes, and is it the right length hence too full comment.
is it coming out the top of the tube or out of the place where it enters the block? if at the block tap the tube in a bit with a soft mallet. if its loose pull it out clean it put some sealer on near the point where the paint starts and put it back. i would not take one out unless it was loose.

how many miles on the motor i.e are you aware of a terrible blow by problem? is the static CR ok? does it run ok any oily smoke? any sign of unhappyness?
do you run some kind of baffle or crank scraper that may be firing the oil about in an unconventional way

do you have the breather and PCV valves in the correct place? both in the same side just sucks air along the rockers from the breather and has less impact on crank case, PCV should be as far as possible away from the oil filler/breather. Chrysler has a recommended position but i have a 6 cylinder so i don't know what it is for a v8
do you feel a good suck at the PCV/Booster port in the carb base...?

having some resistance to the breather in the cap helps, when was the breather in the oil cap last oiled if its anything like mine the cap is stuffed with glass wool or brillow pad . it should be cleaned and oiled to filter the air coming in it will be full of oily soot or indeed nothing at all as the wadding breaks up

just off the top of my head
dunno if it helps

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying