What " custom " Frankenstein axle do I need ??

Moderator: Moderators

Hearserider67

What " custom " Frankenstein axle do I need ??

Post by Hearserider67 »

Hello there , just a quickie.....
Which is the WIDEST axle possible to fit my 67 A body Barracuda ? Even if this means putting the perches on no problem, as long as I get leaf spring clearance , even if I have to adapt the half shafts to fit my wheels !!
AND this must have the 4.5" pcd wheel fitment. ..believe me if " it sticks out " it will be the look I need !! :D
Thanks Ian
Who taught you to drive.....Evel Knievel !!!
Pete

Re: What " custom " Frankenstein axle do I need ??

Post by Pete »

What about putting on wheels with the "appropriate" back spacing so that they "Stick out"??
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Hearserider67

Post by Hearserider67 »

Hmm what do you mean Pete ? I'm scared to use spacers ...... :shock:
Pete

Post by Pete »

They make wheels in a lot of different configurations - you can even get them made to order.

This is about where the mounting flange is positioned relative to the overall width of the wheel rims.

You need to do more research to understand what is possible and how to measure "Backspace".

For example, Torque Thrust wheels that are around 8.5" wide usually have 3.75" Back space - from the mounting flange to the inner element of the wheel rim.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Hearserider67

Post by Hearserider67 »

Thanks for the reply Pete, I've got a pair of 15" x 1 0" steels and 2 95/50/15 cooper cobra tyres , the wheels have a 4" backspace to drums. See scrappy pics enclosed mate, cheers Ian
Attachments
IMG_20210117_195038_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210117_195038_hdr.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_20210117_195316_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210117_195316_hdr.jpg (135.56 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_20210117_194954_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210117_194954_hdr.jpg (115.11 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_20210117_195330_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210117_195330_hdr.jpg (139.72 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_20210117_194925_hdr.jpg
IMG_20210117_194925_hdr.jpg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

It will be a_lot easier and cheaper to just buy the wheels, rather than a new/ narrowed rear axle. :thumbright:

As Pete says you can get the offset you want really, you could also consider having some wheels banded" using someone reputable "

The wheels you have a nice dish to them already. Do the wheels you have, have a size on them? or have you mesured them?

Just to say, I am not endorsing this company. Just showing you what could be done ? :thumbright:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Carlos Fandango wheels?

:) this one is/ was in the club
Attachments
12345.jpg
12345.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Hearserider67

Post by Hearserider67 »

To TIB3300,THEY ARE STAMPED 15" X 1 0" mate, the trouble is I need the large 5 stud pattern axle , so would be easier to 're weld the spring perches and have a decent strong diff ...or re drill a 7.25 axle that fits my car...but may not be up to the job if I fit a decent powered motor ! I want a big block ideally ..so probably have answered my own reply kinda thing :D
Dave , i be seen Jim's Barracuda before ,think his wheels are too big for my Street/ cruiser lol
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Instead of asking whats the widest axle, you need to measure what you have ... Although Mopar considers them production cars, the difference can be large. Not uncommon to have an 1” or more difference to each side.

Measure from the wheel mounting flange to the opposite side wheel mounting flange. If your on your own you can clamp a piece of wood to each flange & measure the gap

Add the axle width dimension to your wheel dimensions. Based on your 4” offset & 10” width, this should give you +12” to axle width.

You then need to consider/take into account your intended tyre profile & width.

Then try to get a dimension between the arches, again carefully clamped wood can be your friend. A lot easier with a mate round.

Once you know these sizes, it will help you to pinpoint what axle your after, you can also consider different offset wheels to arrive at your desired vision.

Axle swaps can have more consequences than just bolting in, such as the need for case narrowing, re mounting spring perches, propshaft yoke differences, Rear gear selections/options, etc, etc.
The chances of finding the exact axle width you want, with right gearing, will be slim.

That’s not even considering your desire for more power in the future, Traction. Woes, etc

As advised, changing wheel offsets maybe an easier ....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

a ford explorer axle is 4.5" pcd, 59 7/8" wide overall, has 31 spline halfshafts, and a 3.73 geared lsd. oh, and disc brakes too. with your 10" wheels they should be nicely 'out' of the arches. and if it measures up to be 'too' wide cut the long side of the housing and fit a second 'short side' halfshaft to narrow it a smidge under 3". i'll be doing this soon to one for my valiant.
neil.
ps they're about as cheap as you'll get that suits what you want too.
Hearserider67

Post by Hearserider67 »

Hey Mark and Neil, sorry for late reply to your posts......
I've heard about the explorer axle use off a mate not that long ago , but he didn't have the knowledge you supplied mate , I'm planning on wheel arch / fender flares on the rear and Mark I really want to keep these
steel wheels , I tried to get some big slot mags but to no avail , I saw a set that's on eBay at present off a charger but they are only 14" and I still need the 4" stud pattern for the front hubs.
think I may eventually go down this explorer axle route......that way I will have discs on the back and the LSD .
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i may have a pair of 10x15 slot mags for sale soon, very deep dish with little backspacing. it depends whether i end up using the 8 1/2's with 295 tyres or the 10's with 15 1/2" mickey t's. i'll let you know either way if you're interested? won't be long as i started narrowing one of my explorer axle's today so i can have a fit up soon.
neil.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

If you subscribe to MotorTrend on Demand, they did the Explorer axle in a duster (?) thing on a recent episode of Hot Rod Garage. Def worth a look.
If not, I think they make one months video free every month so possibly available
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Hearserider67

Post by Hearserider67 »

Thanks guys, I really wanted some big slot mags ,I put an add on here under parts wanted last year but could not get any :cry:
I think the biggest I got offered were 8 x 14s ,Neil I may be interested in them...but want to keep the Mad Max look with these black steel wheels .......saying that slot mags and some side pipes would suffice :D :D
I may now have to put an add for some 14" small bolt pattern slots. ...just to " hedge my bets !!??
Mr Norm, I've seen clips of that recently and now harnesses similar on you tube :thumbright: Cheers Ian
P.s. Neil pm me with a number " if you did want to sell them pair of slots " [-o<
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i'll keep you updated mate.
neil.