Painting the Charger. Advice needed!

Moderator: Moderators

Matt74

Painting the Charger. Advice needed!

Post by Matt74 »

I'm nearing the end of the metal work on my 68 Charger so I'm thinking now is a good time to start planning for the painting stage!

I've painted a few cars over the years with decent results but that doesn't necessarily mean I went about it the right way so any tips from more experienced painters would be very welcome.

I used metallic cellulose back in the day and more recently 2 pack which was a solid colour. I found the 2 pack harder to get a smooth finish out of the gun although the roof and bonnet came out great, I guess because the paint levels out better on those panels.

The car will be painted LL1 medium dark turquoise metallic.
Should I go with cellulose? I think I read somewhere that paint companies are not allowed to sell 2pack metallic to the diyer so 2 pack is probably out anyway?

Outside will be bare metalled as will the engine bay. Inside the car and in the trunk I plan on just scuffing up.

I'm expecting each stage to take me quite a while so there could be a few days between primer and paint. Is this a good or bad thing? If it's best to do all of the painting over 1 or 2 days I'm not sure I could manage it but I can't afford a professional Paint job at the moment!

Any recommendations on which type of paint I should go for?
What about quantities (allowing for mistakes as well)?
Which primer, sealer etc?

I know a paint supplier can advise but I'd like to be a little more clued up than I currently am before calling anyone.

Cheers,

Matt.
TIB3300

Re: Painting the Charger. Advice needed!

Post by TIB3300 »

This ?

dark turquoise metallic

Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

TIB3300 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 21 7:14 am This ?

dark turquoise metallic

Yes that's it!
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Matt74 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 21 7:57 pm Any recommendations on which type of paint I should go for?
What about quantities (allowing for mistakes as well)?

Mine was painted in Polyester Base Coat then Lacquered.
My brother painted it in his garage for me, I bought 3ltrs of the colour and he said it only just managed to cover it.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Cheers Dave, I was thinking I should buy at least 5 litres to be sure of having enough and to allow for any mistakes!
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Hello Matt

Paint jobs, hmmmm :-k There are paint jobs and paint jobs :thumbright:

Have you painted metallic before?
Do you have decent equipment to spray such a big car ?
Yes I would order at least 5 ltrs , "If you ever need to repaint a panel "

2K all the way :thumbright:

It can be flatted at least three times and buffed , celly goes flat after 2 years 2k wont

If you do any priming or filling, leave the car for at least a month,to let the paint settle , it will

Just before you paint the car , paint it in the base colour and flat it back with 500 , saves any bleed through or patches
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Thanks Tibbs.
Yes I've painted metallic before. It was 27yrs ago though and in celly.

I have the equipment but no proper extraction and space is real tight which will be an issue with metallic as I'll need to do the whole car in one go.

Maybe I should just do the engine bay etc and leave the rest to the professionals :-k
Blue

Post by Blue »

That's my thoughts, I have limited space and experience so I have painted under the bonnet and boot and will strip and prep and send it out to get someone else to paint the body.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Matt74 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 21 7:29 pm Thanks Tibbs.
Yes I've painted metallic before. It was 27yrs ago though and in celly. so you know all about swirls in the metallic,
too much paint' not enough pressure ect !!

I have the equipment but no proper extraction and space is real tight which will be an issue with metallic as I'll need to do the whole car in one go.

Maybe I should just do the engine bay etc and leave the rest to the professionals :-k
Yes do all the prep, find someone who paints eveyday, and work on £250 - £500 for just putting the paint on :thumbright:

But I would still paint the car allover yourself with the basecoat "turquoise metallic" and flat it back with 500 in readiness
TiBBs
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Ok thanks fellas. Some good advice there! :thumbright:
kma176

Post by kma176 »

TIB3300 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 21 8:52 am
Yes I've painted metallic before. It was 27yrs ago though and in celly. so you know all about swirls in the metallic,

Yes do all the prep, find someone who paints eveyday, and work on £250 - £500 for just putting the paint on :thumbright:

But I would still paint the car allover yourself with the basecoat "turquoise metallic" and flat it back with 500 in readiness
TiBBs
Couldn't get the paint put on around here for that sort of money !!!!
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

kma176 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 21 1:55 pm
TIB3300 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 21 8:52 am

TiBBs
Couldn't get the paint put on around here for that sort of money !!!!
I maybe behind the times, what were you getting quoted?
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

No paint shop worth a rub will just gun the colour on, tons of possible issues after with unhappy punters,
if youve done all the prep work, and its good enough, a proper degrease and proper mask up, 4/5 coats of base, 2 Full coats of HS clear then a 15 minute stove, ball park 1500 quid.................

Forget about Celly, complete crap! even if you can find some old school quality stuff, Finish thinners has long since gone!
Poly base coat, its easy to use, very forgiving if applied slow and steady, dries as quick as celly, so if you get dirt of bugs init, wait till its flashed then flat them out, use 800 wetordry. then just recover.
your need 5lts paint and 5lts of top spec base thinner,
once on wait till its completely touch dry, tag rag the body to death then apply the clear coat, if its in a garage, first coat dry and sticky, flash off,then put at least 3 more coats, wet but not like a hose! make sure you flash off between coats, 5 lts clear, 2.5 Hardner , 1lts 2K thinners.
Your have paint and clear over that will always match your car!

Providing you use the paint from the same tin, mix the same, use the same fluid tip, same gun,same pressure, you can paint the car in sections if rooms a problem, or your extraction is a bit pants, Ive done full E Type bonnets a full month after painting the body tub and never had a paint mismatch ever!
The only time painting in sections can cause problems is when theres two painter working together.......................

Leave it for a week, the flat and polish to death!,
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Thanks newsatten, that gives me more confidence to do the whole car myself.
Good to know the car can be painted in sections which would be much easier for me!
newsatten

Post by newsatten »

download/file.php?mode=view&id=134513

Cool, this is one of mine, all painted in bits! , not as scary as some would have you believe :D

Im out of this type of stuff now, much prefer my cars and my feet on the ground!

Enjoy ................
Attachments
e.jpg
e.jpg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 3301 times