Some valiants for sale

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

CLPete

Some valiants for sale

Post by CLPete »

Time to admit defeat.

I was in a project meeting today, training some new people. We were discussing realistic project timelines, and the topic was designed to discus your own situation. I should say here that this is my (& my partners) company.

As the crew were younger than me, we moved on to talk about cars, and the discussion hit upon Rover vans. I have been a fan since I managed the company fleet in the mid 2000’s – around when Rover went bust. Rover 25 vans were “cheap as chips” back then – I was buying them on low milage for the high hundreds of pounds, back in the late 2000s. I was not from the UK so brand meant nothing to me. So, Rover / MG vans were a bargain! We burnt through them like mad! Petrol ones – terrible! Diesel – starter motors and alternators like it was going out of fashion. Trashed a fair few van over the years. Production rarities – 160 MG Express? Bah. If it was cheap, who cared! It was, I felt, like being in charge of something that should matter but seemingly didn't.

I came to like them. I knew their spec inside and out. I knew their weak points. But, as much as I liked them, they were “just vans".

We’ve moved on – Berlingo, Partner, and so on. It is currently Fiat Doblo vans– a pile of them now!

Well, anyway, I stashed away one of the last made – a 2006 Mk2 Rover van. One of 30 or so. The thing is, it sat in the yard for years. Recently (in the last 12 months) someone smashed the driver’s window. Damaged the door, broke the handle too. Trim damaged.

I put a tarp over it and marked it in my mind as “I will come back to you later”.

So, the discussion moved on to talk about this van. It is unusual, a production rarity, but on the open market worth little. Historically of interest. A formative piece, you might say. But, as it is of little value, there is little reason for me to sell. The project discussion moved on to talk about when I might deal with it. Before the tarp breaks, before the water gets in and rots it out fully.

I had a revelation.

I can’t. I won't get around to it.

I have a “to-do” list as long as your arm. I have over-reached on my property – too much too do. Talking to the lads made me realise that I will never get around to this Rover van, before it rots out and is just scrap. That lead me on to look at my other “projects”. The ones I was saving for my “retirement”. The thing is there is a queue for my attention, and it is long!

So, to the point of this post!

Over the years when I have seen Australian Chrysler Valiant products come on the market, at a cheap price, I have (where I could) bought them. It was always the theory of “when I retire I will …”, but today has made me realise that a) that could be along way away! And b) by the time I do, they will have become scrap which would be a terrible outcome.

So, I have five Valiants for sale.

They are in variable condition. I also have some parts, but to be honest they are scattered alongside all the various work tools etc. You could ask about the parts, and I am happy to look, but only as far as I can. For example, I own a couple of “new” VG Valiant rear light assemblies. As far as I am aware, there are no VG Valiants left in the UK. VG VIP, yes. VG Regal, no. I also have a VE Valiant bonnet, where the previous owner a long time ago cut out random patches to weld up something else. Plenty of what my wife would call scrap!

I have a VC Valiant in poor condition (just treated badly and stripped), a VE VIP Valiant that is rusty but complete, a VG VIP (but the slant six with no engine) in moderately poor condition, and two CH’s – one a project and the other a bit of a mess but you could at a pinch drive it.

At this stage I won’t pinch parts off the ones I have, because that would not be fair and would reduce the chances of them surviving. But, if you need something, ask in case I have it stashed away as a spare.

I hate to give up “the dream”, but you have to be realistic – if you’re doing more harm, why are you keeping it?

Even the Rover Van is up for sale!

I wanted to post on here to give people the chance to comment, before I put them on eBay. Work being what it is, this could take some weeks mind you!
1968 VE Valiant VIP (on road)
1972 CH Chrysler by Chrysler ("project")
1969 VF Valiant VIP (best called "spares")
Ace Dropshot

Re: Some valiants for sale

Post by Ace Dropshot »

Hi Pete. Thanks for sharing your situation & revelation. No doubt difficult but respect to you - how many of us have cringed when we've seen a car parked up and rotting and the owner says "I'm going to restore it one day" - but never does! What vehicle/s have you decided to keep and focus on, if any?

From my side, I have a VF Hardtop that I acquired a few years ago. It turned out to be badly rusted and a lot of work has had to go into it. It's undergoing a scratch restoration and the body is now solid. I imported 2 wings and a bonnet from Australia and a complete roof from a US breaker! As you can imagine that's a big investment. Things come up less frequently in the UK, so of course, I would be very keen to benefit from parts that can help make my VF become a 'survivor'.

I'm not exactly sure all that I need, but most of it will need to be replaced over time, so I'd be wise to anticipate some needs. I know any compatible trim and interior fittings would be good to have. I would be keen to get hold of any chrome, and bumpers if they are in okay condition. I think my ones will need an extensive and pricey restoration as they have dents and have been painted! A few things won't be compatible because your vehicles are saloons (such as the rear light assembly).

Maybe best to discuss further via PM? What is your location?

Cheers
Aussie Chrysler VF Valiant "Scottish Val"
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

Hi Andy, I am in Glastonbury. Yes, will be sorry to see them go but we did a bit of a timeline, and it could be upwards of 10 years before I could start. I have 4.5 acres and a large delapidated Victorian house, so it is slow going. Hope to have a large shed up (more of a barn really) in the next 12 months, but realistically I need that for all the plant I have aquired to sort the grounds. I never thought I would end up with so much kit - dumpers, tractors, a digger, large gang mowers, and so on. I aleays thought I would get around to planning a second shed, but that would be a few years away - time these cars realistically do not have outside. Then, even if I had the shed, it is aquiring the tools etc to do the job properly. So, I am not set on any of them at this point. Better to let them go to others to try. I am reluctant to break them because that would make others jobs harder, but if I sell them and they are broken, well that is up to the buyer. I do have a pile of random bits (steering column and wheel for example) but no bumpers. At least I do not think so! Send me a list and I will take a look about.
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Sent you a PM.
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
MattH

Post by MattH »

Reality bites. Best to be honest with your self and keep what you know you can manage.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

I do not think I realised how much work there would be in a large property. You start with something small - say "I will put some gravel down over there, to park one car on". Then you realise that you can't get the gravel there easily due to plants, the camber of the land and so on. So out comes the digger and the chainsaw, and a path is made and the land dug out. But - you need a retaining wall now! So, cement, timber, tools to the area. Deliveries. Cheaper in bulk, so need a forklift to unload and another hard standing area for storage for the excess. Buy a forklift, but it has to be a rough terrain one. Create off-loading and storage space. Finally, ready to go, then you think - maybe putting water & power to the location would be useful to future proof. So in goes a trench. But, the board in the house is too old and won't support an extra line. New board in. Power supply to house has to be uprated. Power company in. Order 100m of cable and water pipe. Learn how to put it all together. Fianlly, trench filled, gravel down. What started as a small thing becomes six months or more. I tried the "quick and easy" method first of just chucking some gravel down, but it always made things harder later.

Then you think - maybe it would be nice with some poles in and some sheet metal on top to stop the rain. It never ends!

So, yes, I have had to accept reality sadly. I will be building / engineering / landscaping for years yet.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i moved to a new house that needed not a lot done
but the whole process of packing moving and then sorting stuff out has taken ages
started shifting car stuff to storage in october moved in Jan and my weekends are still full of house stuff
have brought some boxes back from storage, i have no more space, and the storage unit is still half full

i'm down 2 sheds

hence i too will have to part with some of my valiant bits...i find myself agreeing when my wife says no man needs 3 axles for the same car
1 axle in car, 1 axle spare... why do we have another stuffed down the side of the garage...

to be honest, i don't know, its was cheap, it wasn't me, i don't know where it came from..... isn't good enough anymore

but the idea of flogging some of it an actually buying something i want or need... does appeal, but not enough when it actually involves posting the advert.

i think i have an illness called thenearestsparesareontheothersideoftheworld - itice
when i need a spare part its nightime in Oz.... and that plays on my mind.... :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

Hi Pete, strange question but are you on the road out to Shepton Mallet? I Drive past fairly often and always notice an old aussie charger on one of the driveways. Shame to hear your are looking to sell.
Bratfink

Post by Bratfink »

I am going to need a bunch of valiant spares soon. Does everyone have an inventory of what’s available?
I am coming to believe a 56mph speed record is harder to achieve than a 400mph one!
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

ChrisN34 wrote: Mon May 10, 21 11:02 pm Hi Pete, strange question but are you on the road out to Shepton Mallet? I Drive past fairly often and always notice an old aussie charger on one of the driveways. Shame to hear your are looking to sell.
That's the one! Feel free to drop in when you are passing to see the collection before it goes.

It's a four-door by the way, not the charger. Blue one.
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Was there ever any updates to this?
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

CLPete what happened with these please?