what are you doing while at home?

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: what are you doing while at home?

Post by mygasser »

it's much brighter in there now, it's been black tanking paint in there for over a year now.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (17).JPG
IMG_0001 (17).JPG (76.97 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
mr m

Post by mr m »

new use for the engine hoist
had to repot a 30 year old beautiful acer we have hopefully will flourish even more
Attachments
7FB64056-15D8-404A-8BE1-9E2144D38C19.jpeg
7FB64056-15D8-404A-8BE1-9E2144D38C19.jpeg (255.19 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
IF ITS ON WHEELS, LOWER IT!!
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

New
early this week i painted the woodwork in an appropriate colour, Dawn wanted a light blue and the one we picked is called 'first dawn' so it had to be. today i tiled the floor using some of the same tiles i'd bought to do the whole ground floor several years ago. i couldn't find the massive bag of spacers and had to improvise so i cut up an old perspex number plate, well you have to use what you have :D
tomorrow hopefully the adhesive will be set enough that i can get the grouting done which just leaves the skirting. that'll be 'another' room fully finished, this semi retirement is hard work :roll:
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (19).JPG
IMG_0001 (19).JPG (82.17 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

well that's that room all done, pictures up and everything :thumbright:
Attachments
IMG_0001 (20).JPG
IMG_0001 (20).JPG (71.42 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

warning, this is a bit long winded.
today i got round to sorting the stereo in my ford c-max daily. what happened was it just lost all sound so i looked on ebay and they started 'secondhand' at £125 ffs! so i rang a local car stereo repairers and explained what i had and they agreed they're really stupid but yes it needed a new head unit. why is it stupid you ask? the head unit is touchscreen, does the radio, single cd, cd multichanger, satnav and the heater controls. the heater buttons are each side of the main screen and part of the unit. the guy said make sure you get the 4 digit pin code if you buy a secondhand unit. so i bit the bullet and spent my £125, the unit arrived and i plugged it in. for about 2 seconds the 'put your pin number in' screen appeared then a message came up saying vin number not recognised, contact you main dealer. i rang ford, told them what i needed, to get them to reprogram the new unit to recognise my ecu but oohhh no that's much too easy. it's programmed to the ecu at the factory on the assembly line and it can't be reset. £3800 +vat for a new one plus programming by them at over £100/hr.
soooo..... after staring at the 'new' unit as it sat by my keyboard here for a few weeks now i decided to take it apart, i mean how complicated can it be?
there are 4 units bolted to the back of the faceplate and weirdly the top 2 (which are bolted together also) and the bottom one are bluetooth to the faceplate, how mad is that! the bit i thought was the amp and would control sound was connected with 2 little plugs and 2 tiny ribbon connectors that aren't designed for fat fingers to remove let alone refit. but once back together i went out and plugged it back in to the car and bu66er! same vin number issue. now i knew it had to be the 2 bolted together bit i needed so i stripped and rebuilt it again and woohoo! it works.
what a palarva! and what a wasted afternoon!
neil.
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

mygasser wrote: Wed Apr 21, 21 7:04 pm warning, this is a bit long winded.
today i got round to sorting the stereo in my ford c-max daily. what happened was it just lost all sound so i looked on ebay and they started 'secondhand' at £125 ffs! so i rang a local car stereo repairers and explained what i had and they agreed they're really stupid but yes it needed a new head unit. why is it stupid you ask? the head unit is touchscreen, does the radio, single cd, cd multichanger, satnav and the heater controls. the heater buttons are each side of the main screen and part of the unit. the guy said make sure you get the 4 digit pin code if you buy a secondhand unit. so i bit the bullet and spent my £125, the unit arrived and i plugged it in. for about 2 seconds the 'put your pin number in' screen appeared then a message came up saying vin number not recognised, contact you main dealer. i rang ford, told them what i needed, to get them to reprogram the new unit to recognise my ecu but oohhh no that's much too easy. it's programmed to the ecu at the factory on the assembly line and it can't be reset. £3800 +vat for a new one plus programming by them at over £100/hr.
soooo..... after staring at the 'new' unit as it sat by my keyboard here for a few weeks now i decided to take it apart, i mean how complicated can it be?
there are 4 units bolted to the back of the faceplate and weirdly the top 2 (which are bolted together also) and the bottom one are bluetooth to the faceplate, how mad is that! the bit i thought was the amp and would control sound was connected with 2 little plugs and 2 tiny ribbon connectors that aren't designed for fat fingers to remove let alone refit. but once back together i went out and plugged it back in to the car and bu66er! same vin number issue. now i knew it had to be the 2 bolted together bit i needed so i stripped and rebuilt it again and woohoo! it works.
what a palarva! and what a wasted afternoon!
neil.
Do you have any pics of what you did to fix it Neil?
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i'm going out to the garage to finish my manual steering conversion on the valiant so i'll take pics of the leftover unit showing what i changed to fix it.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it's this bit between my finger and thumb, the top 'half' of it is the single disc player and the bottom half has lots of circuit boards and gubbins in it (i split them apart while it was stripped to see). there are 3 tiny torx screws holding this lump to the face plate and it just slides out between the brackets, no wires so as i said it must be bluetooth connected to the face plate. you need a working complete unit with the 4 digit pin code as the bit that has the pin is the bit i had to change. it cured it so i'm very happy, we're off to devon next month and 4-5 hrs in silence wasn't appealing 8-[
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0003 (11).JPG
IMG_0003 (11).JPG (95.71 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i finally got round to putting up the coving in our bedroom today. i used the paper covered polystyrene coving as it's very light and so easy to work with. a stanley knife and i could shave off a bit at a time for fitting where the ceiling slopes by the bay window for example. tomorrow i'll skim the joints and hopefully get a first coat of paint on it.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

after coming to a stop with my valiant headers today i took off on a tangent and made a spacer/adapter to fit a digital dash to an anglia dash panel (without cutting the anglia panel). i used a piece of mdf and this will be painted grey to match the dash insert.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0005 (11).JPG
IMG_0005 (11).JPG (91.25 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today i made use of the last 3 barrels in the back garden. i'd previously burnt all of the vaseline-ish residue in them so they'd all gone rusty which is fine. dawn wanted some more planters so i knocked these up for her, all different heights. she said i bet the cats go inside the bases and as if by majic when i went out with the camera......
Attachments
IMG_0001 (28).JPG
IMG_0001 (28).JPG (120.78 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
IMG_0002 (23).JPG
IMG_0002 (23).JPG (125.02 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today i visited a mate and we pulled the 383 from his 71 monaco wagon. he bought it recently with a bit of a rod knock so it's now sat in my van here ready to go into my garage for a tear down to assess what's needed.
neil.
ps if anyone has a b block 4 barrel inlet they'd sell (we got a carb) let me know as the 2 barrel is leaking bad and is just worn out so he wants to upgrade.
cheers.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

he's sent me a couple of pics from yesterday, showing the extension we cobbled up to get the reach with the engine crane (that monaco has a long nose). both him and his other helper mate john didn't like my fix but it got the job done, lol. that 4x2 and ratchet strap were just fine :thumbsup:
neil.
Attachments
clive's engine2.jpg
clive's engine2.jpg (86.15 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
clive's engine.jpg
clive's engine.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Looks fine, as long as you had a nice big nail at the end to stop the chain slipping off :geek:
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Looks good to me :thumbright:

When we first started mucking around with cars no one had a hoist, lenght of 2x4, a piece of rope and some mates was the way we got motors out.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130