what are you doing while at home?

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: what are you doing while at home?

Post by mygasser »

Dom66 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 21 10:29 am Looks fine, as long as you had a nice big nail at the end to stop the chain slipping off :geek:
we screwed a couple of long screws through 2 links of the chain on top of the timber. :thumbright:
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today i mostly stripped the 383 engine. i just have the damper, timing cover and set before the crankshaft comes out to go for a grind. that is if it's not too far gone on no's 1 and 2 big end journals. they are worn pretty bad with a noticeable ridge in the centre between them. the bores are all good though with no lip to be felt on all 8 which is a plus. the oil pickup pipe was loose which would contribute to the bearing wear as air could be sucked up into the oil pump, not good. the cam and lifters are toast so will need replacing too. my mate was told the heads were 'gone through' recently, but i'll strip them while the crank's away just to be sure having seen what the rest is like.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i finished stripping the 383 today and dropped the crank' off to my machinist for a regrind. 2-3 weeks before he can get to it but that's fine as i've plenty of other stuff to do before then. here's a random pic.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0007 (7).JPG
IMG_0007 (7).JPG (116.96 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

is this the monaco that has been the subject of some facebook discussion recently
purchased running but then a big end knock within 25 miles of driving home ?

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

no, coincidentaly similar though. clive bought the car knowing it was knocking, the guy had spent a lot on it but the knocking was 'the straw that broke the camel's back' for him and he sold it not wanting to put any more money into the car. clive's bought another 383 long block that's supposed to have been god and only removed for a 440 swap. i'll be making one from both to get him mobile and then the plan is to continue with the original but a proper rebuild. we'll then swap that in over a winter layup as and when.
clive has been in touch with the owner of the car you mentioned offering him parts to get him sorted too if he can.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

oh and while i'm here this week i've finally put down new laminate flooring through our lounge and hallway and new taller skirting through both too. got to keep her happy, especially with the parts i've ordered lately for the valiant :-$
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

got ashley's zephyr in to fit the secondhand griffin rad' his boss gave him and a b&m shifter i gave him (he's a lucky boy, lol). the rad' must've been from a ford as the hose outlets were the wrong way for his chevy small block, so i got my mate to swap them over, blank the holes and add top and bottom brackets. all done and filled so it ought to keep the coolant inside now unlike the leaky caprice rad' it had before. shifter next.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0003 (3).JPG
IMG_0003 (3).JPG (121.22 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
IMG_0004 (2).JPG
IMG_0004 (2).JPG (123.51 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

ash' came round this morning so we could fit his b&m shifter i gave him. that was easy, less than an hour including making up some 2mm thick plates to go over most of the hole needed for the 70's stock ford shifter we used previously. while under the car on my ramp i noticed the o/s leaf spring front eye was out of line. it was a broken bolt and these mk3 zephyr's have a weird stepped bolt that goes through what's best described as a butch core plug then the spring bushes then the step of the bolt stops against the side of the chassis rail while the narrower part of the bolt goes through the chassis with a nut and washer on the inside. the bolt is knurled like a wheel stud where it goes through the 'core plug' which itself locates snugly in a large hole in a bracket coming back from the outrigger. complicated huh?
so the bolt was broken at the step predictably, ok for a stock zephyr/zodiac but a weak point with a v8 that gets lots of abuse. i didn't have a weird stepped bolt funnily enough so a 'straight' bolt with a sleeve turned up on my lathe for the 'through the bushes' bit worked a treat.
than we noticed (ash' lent on it and it moved) the rear prop' uj was able to move side to side in the diff yoke. the little tab in the yoke that prevents this was missing, it must've fractured when the uj failed a year or so ago dropping the prop' into the road at about well.... fast. so we needed another way to stop the uj cup from moving, the clamp clearly wasn't enough. these cherokee axles have basically a bent bit of flat bar wrapped round the exposed half of the uj cup that bolts to the diff yoke. so after shaving a few thou' off of the flats on the clamp we refitted it all in place and welded a thick washer to the clamp tight against the cup. success. the explorer 8.8 axle he's bought will be fitted over the winter so it's a temporary fix but one that's more than strong enough.
neil.
James Vette

Post by James Vette »

Trying to find and buy one of my dream cars (chrome bumper C3 corvette) that will be my first classic to cruise around and blast def leppard in.
currently driving: 1971 stingray
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

poxy common rail diesel cheap fix.
went to gt yarmouth last week for a break with dawn. we got there fine in my daily c-max 2.0 tdci, dropping off a camaro t5 gearbox on the way as you do but it wouldn't start the next morning. the aa decided it was the fuel pump in the tank (i now know the tdci's don't have one) so they relayed us home at the end of the week. i did what i've done several times now with common rail diesel's that won't start once they've sat a while. i fitted a facet red top type pump inline between the tank and filter housing so it primes the system while the glow plugs do their thing. there are so many 'o' rings on modern diesel fuel systems that it's very hard to find just where they let air in when it's sitting but the pump just primes it and they go. i had a cooling fan fitting kit so nicked the pre wired relay from that and piggy backed an ignition live in the fuse box to switch it. i even made a steel male male connector from a bit of round bar on my lathe to correctly clip into the filter housing, very professional lol. it's an easy fix and most importantly..... cheap :thumbright:
neil.