318 Bottom Hose

Moderator: Moderators

Oakhouse410

318 Bottom Hose

Post by Oakhouse410 »

Hi there
I have been enjoying looking at the wonderful cars on here Well done - spurs me on to do more to mine.
I have a 1968 Bristol 410 with a Mopar 318 cubic inch and Carter 4 barrel with tubular exhaust manifolds and 2.88 limited slip diff. I need to replace the bottom hose from the radiator to the water pump. All seems fairly standard though she spent nearly 30 years of her life in California. I have tried measuring the internal diameter, but can't decide whether it is 38mm or 41mm. Does any one know please. Also, where you would recommend getting a hose in the U.K.
Thanks
Andrew
Pete

Re: 318 Bottom Hose

Post by Pete »

Welcome Andrew!

I am sue you will get some advice in due course.

Are the dimensions that same at both ends of the hose or is one end "necked down"?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Oakhouse410

Post by Oakhouse410 »

Nice motor Pete
Thank you for your welcome.
As far as I can see, the hose seems to be the same diameter at each end. I believe they are 41mm I/D. The hose isn't leaking, though it looks very tired so I want to replace it. I don't want to remove it till I have a new one if possible!
ATB
Andrew
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

if its a 1968 motor its a 318 LA but check the engine number bristol could have been usuing new old stock pre 64 or is it 66/67 for 318 motors??!! polyspherical head heavy 318 was the norm before. So have you got a poly or an LA is the simple question?

if the ID of the pipe is the same at both ends all good

i think they are 1/34 inch outside dimeter on the pump and radiator pipe (i might be wrong i have a I 6 not a V8)

id guess if you are using a 1968 mopar 318 LA then the fan is mopar and the distance between pump outlet and radiator will be very similar to that of a 1968 dodge or plymouth. the motor was probably provided as a complete package to Bristol and my have included a radiator as well.

you just need to check which side the radiator pipe connects as as far as i know the water pumps changed sometime between 1964 and 1991 and the connection swapped sides but an actual owner of a v8 will have to confirm
i don't own one

then again even if it did symetry may save you.... :)

US automotive bedfordshire

or rockauto in the US

or at a push black silicone pipe from MOCAL in the UK they do a right angle in the correct diemeter which can be cut to length and can be flexed to about 85* with no real impact on flow which works, as i used one for many years

a picture and i'm sure a 318 owner will be able to say YEAH standard mopar set up

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
andrewa

Post by andrewa »

Somewhat bizarrely I’m also Andrew and also have a 410!
If the lower edge of your rocker cover has scalloped edges you’ve a ploy A series engine which is what they came with as Bristol bought these off the Canadians after the yanks had moved onto the LA series.
The only way you’re going to be 100% sure on the hose front is removing it and measuring it properly as car may now have a different rad.
Armed with the correct measurements am sure Sparco will have something suitable or try https://www.classicbristolcarpartscompany.co.uk/
who bought all the factory spares.
Hope this of some use
Cheers
Andrew
MattH

Post by MattH »

My neighbour had a silver Bristol 410, 1968 I think, that had a poly in it, not an LA engine.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

MattH wrote: Mon Sep 06, 21 1:16 pm My neighbour had a silver Bristol 410, 1968 I think, that had a poly in it, not an LA engine.
ooer :shock: Our Plymouth was built in late 68 (69 model year) and came with an LA 318 engine. I presume this was around the time they changed over from poly to LA, or is it just that Bristol were sent the old cr*p to use up?! :lol:

EDIT - Wikipedia says the poly 318 was produced until 1967 but goes on to say (about the poly version):
"Bristol Cars introduced the 318 in the Mark II model of their 408 (in 1965) and continued to use it in the succeeding 409 and 410 until 1969."

So yes it will be the earlier poly-type 318 :thumbright:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Summit Racing sell rad hoses for 318 Poly's and show the I/D to be 1.5", so your 38mm guess would be correct :read2:

I'd try and get someone with the same engine to check tho...
Oakhouse410

Post by Oakhouse410 »

Hi all and thank you all for your replies. I have decided to change all the hoses during the winter lay up so will check when I remove them.
Good motoring
Andrew
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Or pull it out
bore it to 4 inches
find your pick of High CR pistons on summit
cam carb headers

you can have the fasters bristol in the west
like a semi hemi

402 Cubic inch nice...!