Fuel Tank Sender

Moderator: Moderators

Billybob780

Fuel Tank Sender

Post by Billybob780 »

Hi folks,
I've posted this on the a bodies only site aswell.
Can you offer any advice? I had to drop the gas tank to have it repaired. To get rid of the vapour I filled it with water and left it till I could find someone to weld it.
I then refitted the tank and found the gauge had stopped working. I earthed the power feed and the gauge rose. So assumed the sender was faulty. Well I replaced it fitted a new earth ( just in case ). Low and behold the gauge still is not registering ! Oh and now the car has cut out and won't start !! Ideas ?? How it check it hopefully without having to drain it again
Thanks
MattH

Re: Fuel Tank Sender

Post by MattH »

Tank not properly earthed across from the sender unit to ground.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Billybob780

Post by Billybob780 »

I've took the replacement out of the tank. Power supply tang was broken. Fixed that and tested ohms resistance. Was almost in tolerance slightly high at full. Refitted it put a new earth on it as well... still as dead as a dodo. Alough I've earthed the power feed to test the gauge could it be possibly low voltage going into the sender ?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just on the starting bit....have you checked to see if you are getting fuel to the carb regardless of whether the gauge is registering or not?? :-k
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Billybob780

Post by Billybob780 »

Yep fuels going through... its been joyful siphoning the tank three times to a level where I can remove the sender without drowning in super plus unleaded like I did when I removed the tank..
Steve

Post by Steve »

Gotcha. Sounds like a wee process of elimination test coming up :scratch:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

I think the sender unit only has resistance that comes through depending on level.
So if you have resistance all the way to the gauge and it changes as level changes (you can test by moving the sender up and down) then it must be at the gauge.

Problem with fuel not getting to carb, well that may be other issues.
Billybob780

Post by Billybob780 »

Thanks, I going to connect it up to the car wiring and move the float manually and get the wife to watch the gauge. I'm sure the gauge is OK as when I earth the power feed it rises.