Fuel filter?

Moderator: Moderators

Stu Twin

Fuel filter?

Post by Stu Twin »

We're planning on (re)fitting an in line electric pump upstream of our mechanical pump, and was wondering whether either of these types were recommended:
The metal cannister type which we already use or the glass type which we used donkeys years ago?
Not sure if either would be called 'premium' when it comes to high flow, we just want something upstream of the new pump that filters and doesn't restrict flow.
I know some say glass is a no-no.

Failing that what do others use? It'll be tucked up under the rear wheel arch so originality not an issue.
Attachments
inline-fuel-filter-10mm-3-8-tails-603-806-3260-p.jpg
inline-fuel-filter-10mm-3-8-tails-603-806-3260-p.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 372 times
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Matt

Re: Fuel filter?

Post by Matt »

The glass ones like that are generally poor quality and I don't like them

THe metal canister type are good but you can't see inside or service them.

I like the ones like this . Available with paper or metal filter elements, not expensive, and fully serviceable. You could use one with -6 connections and adapt to hose barbs quite easily.
sum-230116_xl (1).jpg
sum-230116_xl (1).jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 360 times
sfl-sf41106_ml.jpg
sfl-sf41106_ml.jpg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 358 times

I have one in the Cuda and it caught all this without complaint. I only opened it out of curiosity . Cleaned it out and good as new.
filter.jpg
filter.jpg (67.35 KiB) Viewed 360 times

THe blue stuff is foam from the fuel tank, the red stuff is jerrycan lining . I now have a mesh filter in my fuel funnel...
Pete

Post by Pete »

I would not dream of using a Glass filter....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

I use the metal ones and change it as a matter of course on a service. Glass style is asking for trouble IMO. Matt’s one look like a good investment also.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

Thanks guys yes I agree glass probably not the best where dirt gets kicked up. Metal canister should be ok as the tank is new and cheap enough to change regularly. Or as an equivalent to the ally one, Demon Tweeks do one with a changeable filter, -8 size is about £40 but I’d need hose ends as well.... https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... QWA&adurl=
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Stu Twin wrote: Sat Oct 22, 22 10:39 pm Thanks guys yes I agree glass probably not the best where dirt gets kicked up. Metal canister should be ok as the tank is new and cheap enough to change regularly. Or as an equivalent to the ally one, Demon Tweeks do one with a changeable filter, -8 size is about £40 but I’d need hose ends as well.... https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... QWA&adurl=
There might be something on sale at the NEC? :-k
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Stu Twin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 22 1:34 pm We're planning on (re)fitting an in line electric pump upstream of our mechanical pump, and was wondering whether either of these types were recommended:
The metal cannister type which we already use or the glass type which we used donkeys years ago?
Not sure if either would be called 'premium' when it comes to high flow, we just want something upstream of the new pump that filters and doesn't restrict flow.

Failing that what do others use? It'll be tucked up under the rear wheel arch so originality not an issue.

Actually, I thought you were going to ask about fuel pumps? :study: :-k
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

RobTwin wrote: Sun Oct 23, 22 1:33 am
Stu Twin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 22 1:34 pm We're planning on (re)fitting an in line electric pump upstream of our mechanical pump, and was wondering whether either of these types were recommended:

No, i told you the other day that the AC Delco one we had fitted previously (and the spare new one) has 3/8" ends on it. So good to refit.
Job for the winter though.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Stu Twin wrote: Sun Oct 23, 22 1:23 pm
RobTwin wrote: Sun Oct 23, 22 1:33 am

No, i told you the other day that the AC Delco one we had fitted previously (and the spare new one) has 3/8" ends on it. So good to refit.
Job for the winter though.
Oops yes, beg your puddin :oops: :thumbright: