Ebody bumper bolts help

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Ebody bumper bolts help

Post by Stu »

Morning. Trying to order some stainless bumper bolts for the front bumper 70 Challenger.

Looks like there are 2 options :

3/8” - 16 x 1”
7/16” - 14 x 1”

I can’t take off the ones I have to check, because they are not correct and the spares I have don’t fit. :roll:

Manual doesn’t give any clues, anyone know what size I need for front or which one is which from the above?

Ta!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.71 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Re: Ebody bumper bolts help

Post by Dave999 »

as they are bolts and both are 1 inch long with the same head do you care?
provided they have the same head, and it looks like they do.

obvioulsy the correct bolt will be better from a fitmnet point of view BUT if i had 7/16 holes i'd still buy the 3/8 bolts
as that gives more wriggle room for getting the bumper nicely aligned. If things are a little bit "on the wonk" i'd rather have the wriggle room and invest in a washer than have to oval the holes in the car or bracket

obvioulsy if these go into a captive nut then you need the right size, but they have nuts so i guess not.

If they are just through bolts and the size will be invisible to all but a chap with a keen eye lying under the car well.....

i'd guess one set is for earlier bumpers with less weight than the other set, its a 1970s car they probably made the bumpers springy or have collapsible mounts or some such, adding an extra couple of cantilevered lbs for safety in 4mph crashes . hence fatter bolts for some,
As usual just a guess...

some will say get correct bolts for age of car i am not that person... :)

Hang on
if the spares you have don't fit they must be 7/16 i.e 3.5/8ths and your car is 3/8

or is it the head or length thats wrong? or just the wrong nuts?

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Re: Ebody bumper bolts help

Post by Stu »

Cheers Dave

The main reason for asking is that they have a square retainer just under the head, which plugs into the bumper. There’s no reference at all on anything I can find as to whether the bolts have the same square, or not. :-k

I agree, if I can’t find out then 3/8 it is.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435