Brass v’s steel core plugs

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Brass v’s steel core plugs

Post by Stu »

Lot of sets available in the uk are steel only. I have always used brass in the past.

Lots of conflicting opinions online, so thought I’d get some more. :D

Any advantage or disadvantage to either? :-k I was under the impression brass were more hardy.

Also, it sprung up a load of opinions on using various sealants. I’ve not used any in the past. Am I missing something?

Cheers. :read2:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Re: Brass v’s steel core plugs

Post by Dave999 »

brass don't rust
they are a bit softer. makes them less forgiving if you bash em in crooked
you can argue for ages if they go in dry or with a smear of sealant..... can't remeber what i did.

i had no problems with brass, but due to nature of my motor had to import

keep in mind that the set probably will not have a cam plug..for the back end of the cam tunnel. so don't go mad popping eveything out before you check what you have in the kit. cam plug won't rust as its got oil on the other side.

some heads had allen or square key threaded plugs into the water jacket below the rockers, (presumably for casting sand removal) some had tiny steel core plugs some have none of this...
allen or square key headed pipe thread or UNC gub screws type plugs are easier to get than 1/2 inch brass plugs for any preculiarities with the holes in head(s), I'd suggest if brass or screwed in you don't take them out unless there is a clod of grott that you can't get out by other means.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying