torsion bars

Moderator: Moderators

pete walton

torsion bars

Post by pete walton »

I rebuilt all my front end suspension a long time ago but never adjusted anything ..Today i thought i would raise the ride height so the engine when installed would not bottom out ...well it did not go according to plan ,the adjusters that were still slacked right of would barely move and i noticed for the first time the front suspension was solid ie hardly any movement ...alarm bells rang as i knew instantly i had done something wrong .. so straight onto the bat phone and tell Blue the issue ...He diagnosed i had chuffed up buy not having the lower control arm at its lowest position whilst installing the bars . ...I did not want to hear i had to take it all apart and start again but the weather was bad today so i made a cup of tea and started the task ....It went down hill very quickly as the bars were jammed in ,never had to force them in so what went wrong ???any ways broken torsion bar removal tool and an adjuster,,,,,, life is just so peachy sometimes
Attachments
336806031_561986196075319_2899427861551428200_n.jpg
336806031_561986196075319_2899427861551428200_n.jpg (96.22 KiB) Viewed 8534 times
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Captain Chaos

Re: torsion bars

Post by Captain Chaos »

That’s some force in that breakage.

I’m sure you are a walk away and start a fresh tomorrow bloke,I’ve been following your progress and think the car will be a proper show stopper,it’ll come together Pete. Which meeting are you aiming for?
Pete

Post by Pete »

I was with Blue when the call came in!

My Torsion Bar removal tool is a clamp onto the bar with an upstand you hit, and I have never had a bar it would not remove...
Attachments
Torsion Bar Tool.jpg
Torsion Bar Tool.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 8522 times
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

The bolts on the removal tool let go Pete ,its all apart now so hopefully it will go back together right ...I dont recall having a problem installing but i did use a jack to lift the lower control arm up to get the torsion bars in ...Which i understand now is wrong the lower control arm should be as low as possible and the bar should go in fairly easily ,with the adjuster fully backed of . Parts ordered sit back and wait ...It was never going to be easy was it ??
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Captain Chaos wrote: Wed Mar 22, 23 8:08 pm That’s some force in that breakage.

I’m sure you are a walk away and start a fresh tomorrow bloke,I’ve been following your progress and think the car will be a proper show stopper,it’ll come together Pete. Which meeting are you aiming for?
the way things are going the next meeting wil be with my therapist
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well, if it is any consolation, we were trying to ascertain why my transmission has let go 4th time on the bounce...

6 Hours to get it out, probably about 9 hours to get it back in. Suspension off, Steering partially off, Headers pretty much off...

I call it a "Bag" Transmission, because any time it goes "pop" that is usually how much is costs to fix....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Pete

Post by Pete »

Take a rest, chill out, and go and point something up, I am sure that will make you feel better.......
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Mine is hopefully is a cheep fix just two qa1 adjusters ,,, and a few hours graft
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Pete wrote: Wed Mar 22, 23 8:29 pm Take a rest, chill out, and go and point something up, I am sure that will make you feel better.......
Its fine Pete more annoyed with my self for getting it wrong , never like going back over work
Pete

Post by Pete »

I am impressed that you managed to break an Adjuster - never managed that in 30 years, pray tell me your secret technique....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Its all about hammer size LOL, a large solid mass at speed
Pete

Post by Pete »

Bloody Builders, Bash, Crash, Wallop! No finesse...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Blue

Post by Blue »

As long as you learn from it Pedro it’s all good, you can’t make an omelette without breaking some eggs as the old platitude goes…
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

Blue wrote: Wed Mar 22, 23 8:56 pm As long as you learn from it Pedro it’s all good, you can’t make an omelette without breaking some eggs as the old platitude goes…
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Saw this on FB too. Interesting watching what’s happening and for those mere mortals amongst us, it heartening to see it’s not just us it goes wonky bent for. :D

Hope you get sorted quickly, looking forward to seeing this one out. :thumbright:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435