Floyd Brothers 70 Challenger

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: Floyd Brothers 70 Challenger

Post by mygasser »

and while you're there don't forget the core plugs each end of the heads, the back ones are a bugger to do right up against the bulkhead.
neil.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Stu wrote: Mon Mar 20, 23 11:18 am Well, I’ve been looking at Frosts, claiming their gel is aircraft grade, but we’ll see…
so it removes humbrol ? :)

only take the plugs out of the head if the kit you have has plugs for the head... been there done that...
The cam plug...... leave it, doesn't need to come out unless it leaks oil or you like to spend a while finding another

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

The small head plugs don’t normally come in the kits but will be readily available on eBay, just need to find out what the size is. Agree about the cam plug, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Head plugs are there, will do them when I’ve finished Bananarama!-arsing about trying to get the paint of the damn thing. :lol:

No, no intention of touching the cam plug. Looks ok anyway.

Another hours scraping this morning didn’t yield much, but have a new plan for tomorrow.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Feeling a bit blue today…
Attachments
F7F6F26E-36E6-4682-80AE-1098E8C87903.jpeg
F7F6F26E-36E6-4682-80AE-1098E8C87903.jpeg (227.08 KiB) Viewed 534 times

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

Whahey! Not painting the pan?
Stu

Post by Stu »

Nope, that one’s a knacker. Got a nice new black one waiting to go on.

Just realised it’s going to be a late night, though. Just reread the tin and realised the 2nd coat needs to be done within 24 hours and I’m out at 7:30am for the day tomorrow. D’oh!
Last edited by Stu on Mon Mar 27, 23 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

For the sake of being able to spot an oil leak I’d paint the pan any colour other than black.
Stu

Post by Stu »

I’ll likely do it the same colour, but can do it in the garage during the week, so no rush for that. 8-)

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Pete

Post by Pete »

Looking good!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Stu

Post by Stu »

Blue wrote: Sat Mar 25, 23 6:38 pm For the sake of being able to spot an oil leak I’d paint the pan any colour other than black.
One blue pan, Blue. ;)
Attachments
BA662AD3-2C5B-4DD3-AF93-60231229E706.jpeg
BA662AD3-2C5B-4DD3-AF93-60231229E706.jpeg (81.8 KiB) Viewed 465 times

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Pete wrote: Sat Mar 25, 23 10:54 pmLooking good!!
Looking ok, I’d say. Not as good as I’d hoped if I’m honest, but nowhere near as bad as it looked before! I guess this is one of those cases where I would say to my daughter when you’re on a tight timeline or a tight budget, “good enough is usually good enough.”

Having spent so long stripping everything right back with the grinder and wire cup, then probably overkill degreasing and gas torching the block to sweat it out, then applying metal prep and keeping it wet for 20 minutes, I guess I was hoping for a fantastic looking job after all the effort. Truth is, it’s ok if you aren’t staring at it for detail, but it’s just ok.

My honest appraisal of the POR paint system and brush paint (couldn’t get the correct Chrysler Blue I wanted in a rattle can) - it’s pretty good and I’m sure someone with more patience and talent than I, could get a much better result, BUT… here’s my reflective musings…

My first round of prep, I got the flakey paint off, degreased, washed off, brake cleaner, washed off, quick rub over with the prep pad to scuff what was left, stirred paint and started applying. It was shocking. 2 things from this - 1, this is not enough prep over a lumpy paint job. It just looked like a lumpy blue paint job, rather than a lumpy red one. 2. I stirred the paint well, it came out like water with a hint of colour and just rubbed off when I decided I wasn’t happy. Stir it for a LOT longer than you think.

So, take 2… after I prepped everything much better as I’ve already detailed, paint was stirred for a solid 15 minutes. (Once bitten, twice shy.) This worked a LOT better and it was much more pleasant to apply. It went on really well and I was pretty happy, though learned quickly to ignore brush strokes, as it overworks the paint and if you leave it alone, it sorts itself out as long as you haven’t lashed it on mega thick.

At this stage I would recommend whatever you do DO NOT use Frosts paint brushes… I like Frosts, I’ve used them for a lot and still will, but I’ve never seen brushes shed bristles like it in my life. I’m pretty sure there is at least one whole brush worth of bristles lying dead in the paint on the motor and oil pan. The more you try and get them out, the more the paint overworks, so have ended up leaving half of them. Not happy, though.

Having done one full coat and not worried too much about perfect coverage as I planned to do two coats, it was evening by the time I finished and thought that was ok for a first coat. As I was leaving early the next morning to go out for the day, I thought I’d leave it to dry a full 24 hours plus and then do the 2nd coat on Sunday night.

Then I re-read the tin. 1st coat must be finger drag dry, 2nd coat must be applied within 24 hours… :roll: Consulted a painter friend who said yes, enamels can be temperamental, so do it like it says. Awesome.

Didn’t dry enough that evening, so ended up getting up at 5:30am on Sunday (losing an hour because of the clocks too, so pretty much 4:30 :roll: ) to get another coat on before I had to go.

Bottom line is, as well as probably being too cold, the paint didn’t like the second coat at all and was very difficult to work with. It left a lot of brush marks that didn’t go this time, so I tried a bit heavier coat and that just resulted in runs that looked messy when brushed out too. In the end, I decided to just touch up bits if missed and where red was showing and leave the rest alone, as I was just making it worse.

On reflection, I wish I had just spent longer putting a really good, slightly thicker single coat on with much, much better brushes.

So I suppose it all boils down to spending more time prepping, being more patient and careful with a good single coat, avoiding the cold and buying better brushes. The paint and the system are pretty good.

So that’s my ramblings. Ended up with an ok paint job that looks better than it did, but that I’m only 50% happy with.

But it’s lots better than it was. :D

Hope this will help some others who might be thinking of it.

On to the next bit now. :)

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Pete

Post by Pete »

Good and tenacious work, Stu.

I would be interested to know how petrol resistant the paint is when it is fully cured / hardened - this also seems to be one of the challenges today now there is not much "real paint" around - in the same sense that there is not much "real paint stripper" either!!!

Well done!

How is the engine bay progressing?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

that looks great.

once everything is bolted on the bits you see and don't like will be totally invisible to the rest of us....

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Pete

Post by Pete »

Dave999 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 23 11:25 am that looks great.

once everything is bolted on the bits you see and don't like will be totally invisible to the rest of us....

Dave
I think that is quite right, Dave.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.